NBA season 21/22

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member

The Athletic said:
The latest on the Donovan Mitchell trade talks
The Jazz and Knicks are in discussions on a trade that would send Donovan Mitchell to New York, according to sources. A deal is not considered imminent yet, but the Knicks are motivated to acquire Mitchell and have proposed new packages to Utah’s new front office led by CEO Danny Ainge.
New York made a recent offer of Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin, additional salary and two unprotected first-round draft picks (five total), league sources tell me and The Athletic’s Tony Jones. The Jazz’s asking price has been more significant than that.
Mitchell has three guaranteed years left on his contract, allowing the Jazz to bring him into the upcoming campaign and take a patient approach to trade discussions. The Charlotte Hornets and Washington Wizards have been among the teams interested in Mitchell as well, sources said.

Way too much for my taste thanks Timberwolves. Ainge wants 7 picks and almost all kids. Getting terrible Melo vibes here. Keep the kids and picks and move on. No one will outbid that offer anyway.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
The newest generation of superstars seems more willing to commit to a town long term and that's not good news for LeBron and his superteam-building ilk.

Giannis has shown no signs of bailing on Milwaukee, Jokic has shown no signs of bailing on Denver, Lillard has remained extremely loyal to Portland, etc. 15 years ago stars couldn't wait to get out of towns like those.
Money can buy lots of things …especially 200+ millions

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
How to ruin your reputation fast. Pretty shitty for a future hall of famer.
Kobe did the exact same thing in 2007 AND he admitted to strangling and raping a teenager and it doesn't seem to have hurt his reputation at all. Everyone in the NBA and LA still worships him.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
They worship him because he already died. Even wanted the NBA to replace Jerry on the logo like every time when someone dies.

famicommander

15 Year Member
They worship him because he already died. Even wanted the NBA to replace Jerry on the logo like every time when someone dies.
He was worshiped before he died. He had his own TV show, he won an Oscar producing a short film, they retired both of his jersey numbers, etc.

As soon as he paid off his rape victim the NBA immediately started painting him as a hero for his "Mamba mentality" bullshit. They painted his rape case as something that happened to him; some adversity that he had to overcome and they acted like doing so made him better.

racecar

Yuri's Aerobics Instructor
20 Year Member
He was worshiped before he died. He had his own TV show, he won an Oscar producing a short film, they retired both of his jersey numbers, etc.

As soon as he paid off his rape victim the NBA immediately started painting him as a hero for his "Mamba mentality" bullshit. They painted his rape case as something that happened to him; some adversity that he had to overcome and they acted like doing so made him better.
Branding is everything , especially Hollywood !!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Bet you $10 KD still gets traded before the trade deadline.

This is just PR because the Nets didn't get a deal they wanted. I'm sure in private conversation KD still made it known he wants out and he'll play along until something comes along that is agreeable to both him and the Nets.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Bet you $10 KD still gets traded before the trade deadline.

This is just PR because the Nets didn't get a deal they wanted. I'm sure in private conversation KD still made it known he wants out and he'll play along until something comes along that is agreeable to both him and the Nets.
I agree, it reeks of Dwight Howard and Orlando Magic in 2012 vibes.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Lakers trying to put together an all-Injured Reserve team.

Fygee

20 Year Member
I can't think of a better team for the league's biggest dick to be on.

100proof

10 Year Member
Chet Holmgren out for the season. A 7 footer that looks like a prisoner on hunger strike with a foot injury. What could possibly go wrong?

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Chet Holmgren out for the season. A 7 footer that looks like a prisoner on hunger strike with a foot injury. What could possibly go wrong?

OKC's hopes for the future got dashed in Seattle of all places, too. Love it.

100proof

10 Year Member
I mean, I want the dude to succeed but the history of "sure thing" 7 footers is just littered with career-ending/career-shortening knee and foot injuries (Bill Walton, Yao Ming, Ralph Sampson, Greg Oden, Shawn Bradley, Porzingis, list goes on and on and on). Embiid has already lost 3 full seasons and has a hard time staying on the court.

Shaq's pretty much the only person in the last 40 years to make it relatively unscathed and that dude just had a freakish, once-in-a-generation build.

Teams should be leery of taking anyone over 7' in general. They're a liability.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I mean, I want the dude to succeed but the history of "sure thing" 7 footers is just littered with career-ending/career-shortening knee and foot injuries (Bill Walton, Yao Ming, Ralph Sampson, Greg Oden, Shawn Bradley, Porzingis, list goes on and on and on). Embiid has already lost 3 full seasons and has a hard time staying on the court.

Shaq's pretty much the only person in the last 40 years to make it relatively unscathed and that dude just had a freakish, once-in-a-generation build.

Greg Oden was never going to be on the level of guys like Walton, Sampson, or Yao regardless of injuries. A lot of these guys that got injured would've just been busts if they'd stayed healthy.

Conversely, there are plenty of guys over 7' that did work out just fine. Shaq, Hakeem, Wilt, Kareem, Robinson, Mutombo, Dirk, Parish, Gasol, Ewing, etc.

100proof

10 Year Member
Thank you for providing a list of players who are either from more than 40 years ago (Wilt, Kareem), aren't over 7' tall (Hakeem, Dirk, Ewing) or were the second or third best players on their team when they accomplished anything (Gasol, Mutombo, Parish). The other two are a generational athlete that I previously mentioned (Shaq) and David Robinson who, SURPRISE, broke his foot in 1997 and was never the same player afterwards.

Bang-up job, bro.

Fygee

20 Year Member

Ayton's done well for himself injury-wise 4 years in. But you're right, they definitely have a bad track record.

Oden was cursed from the get go because his left leg wasn't the same length as his right leg.