My take on chaos

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Allright, i been back and forth on this game and gone from loving it to hating it, etc. I been playin it in the arcade as much as possible (since i work in the mall its at) and after prolly blowin 10 bux playin it total by now (probably more than that), here's what I personally think.

I love the graphics and presentation. As much as people complain about the backgrounds, i really like the feel of the asthetics and there isn't a stage that seems out of place.

The characters all look great, and the animation is good IMO.

The small things like the convo before each round are very much appreciated and the music ranges from really good to fair.

Really, the overall style compared to say, CVSNK2 is much better. It is a much darker feel and i like Chaos' presentation.

Now the gameplay on the other hand...well i really don't know what to think anymore.

At first, I really tried to learn all the nuances of the game engine. But the more i played, the more i realized that the gameplay is just too broken in too many places.

Now i tried my damndest to look past this. Trying to do anything to play the game and have blast with it, but now it just really aint workin.

It was damn fun at first when we had like one guy killin everyone with dhalshim, then people realized dhalshims weaknesses and the matches were really fun. I owned lots of people with ken, and people used everyone they felt like.

However, It just isn't really fun anymore to go to the arcade only to face someone using chun-li or Iori and getting your ass handed to you and seeing them handing out multiple ass whoopings. Really, that is ALL i am seeing being used now and it fucking PISSES ME OFF that these characters are so much ore powerful than others.

People go up with other characters that they pretty much mastered, but are no real match for them.

Some characters are just goddamn useless, and i hate to say this but the game is becoming the next MVC2 in my eyes.

Eveyone had a blast with MVC2 for a long ass time till people started usin magneto/storm/sentinel and a few other charcters exclusively and killed any chance of people winning who didn't use those characters.

And the one player mode angers me that you have to fulfill all these damn requirements to get the good ending. I fucking hated it in the fatal fury games, and i hate it here.

I think the main thing i really don't like about it personally, is the fact that while i love the fact that it is a GREAT old school type brawler...I've been playing KOF, GGX2, etc. and their fast /easier (and in KOF's case, DEEPER) gameplay really fits better with me.

The cancelling in Chaos is insane and the throws are just worthless.

I aint scorin it, but at this point ima take some time off from playin it and pick it up on ps2.

Though i have NO clue how people can justify $325 bucks on it.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
rebellion1 said:

Though i have NO clue how people can justify $325 bucks on it.

Some of us are just nut jobs and collectors like myself :loco:

The way I see it, every time I hit start, I would have spent $0.50 at the arcade. Sure its gonna a little while to make it all back, but I'm over a quarter where there with my friends and myself ;)

Jim is hot

Cheng's Errand Boy
rebellion1 said:

However, It just isn't really fun anymore to go to the arcade only to face someone using chun-li or Iori and getting your ass handed to you and seeing them handing out multiple ass whoopings. Really, that is ALL i am seeing being used now and it fucking PISSES ME OFF that these characters are so much ore powerful than others.

I got owned by a MASTER Chun-Li player with Akuma, but owned him with Iori....

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Re: Re: My take on chaos

Jim is hot said:
I got owned by a MASTER Chun-Li player with Akuma, but owned him with Iori....

exactely, really there are characters that can take on iori and chun-li.....

iori and chun-li.

I mean yea Mr Karate is good, but the point im making is the characters shouldnt have such a goddamn slope to them.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Ive been thinking about this game a lot recently. Ive spent about 5000-6000 yen on it in the arcade now (50-60 plays) and Ive only been using Terry.

I agree with rebellion1 the game balance is horrible, and some characters really dominate. I think Terry is one of the more powerful characters and some of his super cancel moves do a lot of damage.

I also agree that the gameplay has some problems, mainly the charging moves not working.

But Ive found that 2 player matches in this game, although not always fair, are incredibly fun. I find the jump and double jump to have been implimented really really well. I also think there are a lot of mind games that can be done that make the game worth playing.

I think Im getting this game when it comes out on ps2 also. Although I want to support SNK, I think Im going to save my money for kof 2k3 or SS5.

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
I think this is the way it should be. All games should have characters that are more stronger than others. Otherwise where'e the challenge and realism??

Is it realistic for a women like chun li to be stronger than say Geese? thats what i liked about art of fighting 3, the fact no one was strong enopugh to throw Wyler and the fact you could hit on the ground. This really is great thread and thats my 2 cents worth.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
rugal2000 said:
I think this is the way it should be. All games should have characters that are more stronger than others. Otherwise where'e the challenge and realism??

Is it realistic for a women like chun li to be stronger than say Geese? thats what i liked about art of fighting 3, the fact no one was strong enopugh to throw Wyler and the fact you could hit on the ground. This really is great thread and thats my 2 cents worth.
I agree, if you master a fighter then no matter how much stronger other fighters are, you should still be able to beat them .

Theres no challenge otherwise if everyone is exactly as easy to beat, sure some games have cheap bosses which take you to the point where you want to throw your machine out the window, but eventually you are going to beat them.

Tom

The Frog of Genjuro,
If your have any problems against a specific character try playing as that character for a little bit and learn their weakness will help. I get a better understanding of what a character can and can't do as well as what moves come out very slowly ect...

rugal2000

, Troll Me, , Cuz I is 3lit3, ,
All the great fighting games in history have had a cast where some characters are strong and some weak. It shouls be a subtle but also obvuious ingrediant.
The fun in these kinds of games is in perfecting even the weak characters and than beating the ones with better moves. Back at college I we were really suprised when the arcade owner told us some guy won the street fighter 2 world tounament ( I think it was sponsored by Blockbuster Video) in the early 90's using Dhalsim and look at a character like Dan in Street Fighter 2 Alpha, he is considered a "joke " character by many, but there is real fun in trying to use him to beat ryu and Sagat.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Re: Re: Re: My take on chaos

rebellion1 said:
exactely, really there are characters that can take on iori and chun-li.....

iori and chun-li.

I mean yea Mr Karate is good, but the point im making is the characters shouldnt have such a goddamn slope to them.

Iori is good, but Chunners is tops in SvC as far as the normal roster goes.

That bitch is just straight up disgusting, with Terry following not too far behind. Kim, despite the fact that I use him a lot, is an evil evil whore as well.

If someone is useing Geese or Zero against you in a competitive manner, well if applicable I'd say it's safe to randomly hit "pause" in the middle of their combo's to fuck them off (if applicable on the AES, ROMZ, port, etc), they're just straight up fucking cheese. And that's without resorting to their infinites.

D

Devils Child

I wish we all loved this game. I wish we all blew $325 on it and supported our beloved SNK. But alas, this game is far flawed, and although fun and cool in its design and its overall attempt at being outrageously kickass is pretty succesful, I still have to say it is too fatally flawed to look past the problems and just like it simply because it is the SNK installment in the Capcom, SNK, SNK, Capcom fighting series.

I really loved this game at first. Now it has dawned on me that maybe I just loved it because SNK was the first name in the title. SVC Chaos sounds cool, looks cool, has a deep, dark storyline, but truthfully fails to impress with its unbelievably outrageous demands and choppy gameplay. Hey I love SNK I love SVC Chaos, but it is by no means perfect.