My monitor has stopped working; care to help me fix it?

aclbandit

Another Striker
Ping Chad over at Arcadecup.com and ask him the differences between the 2 chassis. Maybe you can swap a few simple components.

I'll make sure to do that if this turns out to be a 19".

Is there any way to change the horizontal stretching? I mean, the picture looks great if I could just widen it out...

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I'm pretty sure you have a 19" chassis now. You can try to adjust the Horizontal width coil to see how far it will stretch out. Be careful when doing it though because the coils sometimes get stuck and can break. Oh yeah, don't use a metal allen wrench to do so.

You can contact chad to verify the chassis size. It would probably be more trouble than its worth to convert it, however.

aclbandit

Another Striker
I'm pretty sure you have a 19" chassis now. You can try to adjust the Horizontal width coil to see how far it will stretch out. Be careful when doing it though because the coils sometimes get stuck and can break. Oh yeah, don't use a metal allen wrench to do so.

You can contact chad to verify the chassis size. It would probably be more trouble than its worth to convert it, however.

Based on This Link, looks like I need a special tool.

According to some other link I saw that I can't find now, the tool can be purchased at Radio Shack. What's it called? I'll go get one early tomorrow if someone can tell me what it is/how much it costs

EDIT: Unless, of course, the proper name for the thing is truly "Plastic Alignment Tool." RadioShack's website doesn't yield anything for this search, so maybe it's called something else?

Last edited:

aclbandit

Another Striker

I thought it might be. No matter what this chassis is, though, it DOES have one thing going for it that the other doesn't: it WORKS. Maybe I won't mess with converting it at all, but rather use it as it is for now. Sure, it doesn't take up the whole screen, and the size of the picture changes based on how much white is onscreen, but...

Therefore, this can be, at worst, a temporary "little screen" solution while I repair the chassis that I *know* works on this tube/neck. Based on the info I have, the place to start there is a flyback and a HOT from Bob Roberts, so I should be able to work on that at the beginning of July.

Using this chassis in the machine shouldn't hurt anything, should it? I'm having that get-together this Saturday, so I'm hoping I can at least let it continue as it is: functional but silly-looking.

aclbandit

Another Striker
RadioShack didn't have the proper tool, but a local specialty electronics store had it, so I purchased it and brought it home.

The coil only gave me about 1.5 to 2 inches more width, so not good. But, some's better than none.