MVU 4 COMPLETED! Digital Mini Marquee Project for MVS-U2-## Series Candy Cabinet

SSS

neo retired
(SEE POST #8 for MVU4 PROJECT

So I guess this was originally norton's idea (cool idea, bro) Was put into effect by testicules and neotheranthrope (maybe some others?..).

I decided to add a screen to my MVU2 33" (I assume this will fit all U2 series cabs, I think the marquee header is the same size. This screen might even work for wood 2slots) I toyed with the idea of 2 separate frames, but the cheap 7" widescreen ones I could find didn't fill the marquee space all the way. I found this 10.1" HP brand at best buy, also available at target. ($100)

Model # df1010p1 respectable resolution of 800x480

This screen is perfect, I mean almost too perfect. The screen size fills both marquee openings, and the housing is almost the same width as the plexi.

Obviously, since there is just one screen for the 2 slots, 2 marquees would have to share one image. No biggie, just load up paint/photoshop etc.. and make whatever combinations you want. This frame accepts SD cards, as well has an internal memory via USB/micro usb.

Initial test marquees:
image.jpg

Holding picture frame with plexi marquee space.
holdingback.jpg

marqueetest.jpg

This HP frame also has a little remote, so you can select pictures. Real nice so you don't have to open the cab and fuck with buttons. All you need to do is scrape away some of the ink on the plexi to allow the IR sensor in the frame a line of sight to remote.

scrape.jpg

As for mounting, it was pretty straight forward.

I removed the metal bracket assembly, and the plexi marquee holder from the cab. Will keep them, but they don't go back in. I removed the entire flourescent light box assembly.

I thought about a few ways to mount the frame, one would have been to fab up some brackets but I found a much simpler solution.

S-hooks and galvanized steel wire. Frame is not going anywhere.

mounted.jpg

Wiring was stupid easy. I just snipped the 120 hot and neutral wires running to the light box and just soldered them to the adapter. Then taped everything up.

soldered.jpg

The only thing left to do is get another USB exstension running from the frame, down the cab to the main door. So I can easily plug up a laptop and add more as needed.

Cab and marquee operation from power up:

I had to tweak some settings in the frames menu to get it to behave the way I wanted.

Overall I'm surprised this turned out so well. Next I'd like to figure something out for the MVS-U4 series cabs.

Last edited:

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Looks very nice! Do you find the other screen at all distracting during gameplay?

SSS

neo retired
there is a brightness dial on the side if you wanted to dim it for whatever reason. I also believe there's an option menu for color/contrast etc..

SSS

neo retired
Awesome Mod! Very clean!

I can't wait!

Project mvu4 is officially a go. Should be completed very soon. :D

Edit: ...and done. This was a little more involved. I'll make a detailed post later today. Sleep

2012-01-22_03-22-20_754.jpg

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Alright, MVU 4 is done. I used the same screen as for the MVU 2, just two of them.

The first issue I needed to tackle was the fact that setting them side by side as is, the frames were too long for the space:

You can see the frames are over the edges of the plexi:
2012-01-21_23-15-20_335.jpg

I thought about removing the actual lcd screens from the cases and double side taping them to the neo's plexi. However I would be left with mounting all the little inside components, plus if I ever needed to pull one, it would probably be a pain getting the tape off and the plexi ink would probably come with it.

So... I decided to cut the case down. I took the screens apart before I did this. LCD screens were removed and set aside. All I had to do was trim the sides on both that would be touching in the middle. I cut right to the outside of the plastic tabs that support the screen. You can probably do this with a little router wheel etc... I used a cheap utility hack saw, worked fine:

In progress:
2012-01-22_00-52-47_220.jpg

Reassembled after trimming:
2012-01-22_01-12-15_788.jpg

I wrapped some electrical tape around the sides that were cut to hold that end together since the little screws were now gone.

As you can see frames now fit in marquee space:

2012-01-22_01-22-09_529.jpg

Mounting was the same as on the MVU 2, albeit a little more time consuming:

2012-01-22_02-31-29_189.jpg

wiring was handled the same, again I just soldered the lightbox 120 to the adapters.

I removed the speakers for the install, and reinstalled when finished.

Results:

SSS

neo retired
I really would love to see someone with a 6 slot big red line up 3 of these things. (I think there's probably enough space)

SSS

neo retired
Man, I can't get over how great that looks. Killer work!

Thanks, I've got 1 more MVU 4 to do. Although I think I'm going to attempt this on the Neo 25 next. I think it'll work, but looks like screens will most definitely have to be removed from their cases.

jeffkun34

Science will find a way!,
20 Year Member
nice. I doubt I would ever mod my mvu4 but I have to admit this looks sweet.

SSS

neo retired
Just a FYI, I'm working on a real nice version of this mod for you Neo 25/29 owners that have this style header:

Neo25b.jpg

Sorry Neo candy owners. I'm sure you could do something similar, but would require cutting custom plexi. Unless you wanted to ruin your stock panel (I wouldn't)

Should be done by tomorrow. I'll make another thread for it as this mod requires a somewhat different installation vs the MVU's.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
sorry just found this thread today, friggin amazing mod, I love it!

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Good job. Different solution than what I came up with (although, I was really limited on space on my Mini-bigred), but it works.