MVS to AES adapter

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This topic must have been discussed several times but I could not find a straight answer.
I may consider purchasing an adapter to run my MVS cart on the AES home system.

Which one to pick? pros and cons?

I have read good reviews about the deadalus and Super MVS to AES converter II

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The Daedalus is probably the one with the best compatibility while the Magic Key is popular because it has a built in Unibios so if you want to keep your system untouched but have a Unibios, that is the way to go. They also have an AES to AES Magic Key for those that just want a Unibios added to their system but only play AES games. If you plan on using a Multicart, the Daedalus would be better from what I've heard as with the Magic Key, you need to press a button when using the Multicart. Some people mod the button with a switch to keep it pressed when need be.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
My vote is for the magic key. I haven't had any compatibility issues with any carts. I also put a jumper on the button so I never have to press it

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I don't know if the green one plays it, ut I know the black magic key won't play MSX. But doesn't matter, 2 > X

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I've got a blue version 2 & have had no issues with X or Turbo2 or various multi

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Ok, I am narrowing down the results to Daedalus since my home system is equipped with a Unibios.
It is expensive... but probably worth it in a long run.
Thanks!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have the blue magic key as well and I've never had any issues with it. I think I have the firmware on mine that bypasses the magic key unibios since I already have the unibios installed on my neo.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I have the blue MVS Magic Key and the Daedalus. They both are great, here are some differences I see:

- Magic key has vertical design, Daedalus is horizontal. That gives better space handling to the Daedalus (fits better on a shelf or something) but less reliability (weight of the cart is supported only by the slots, nothing else).
- Magic key does not play NG:Dev Team's releases, however Daedalus does (tested only with Gunlord and Razion). All the original games I have tested, MSX included worked perfectly on both, as does Knight's Chance. A user here (teamandromeda IIRC) said his green Magic Key plays NGDev games.
- Magic key internal construction is sloppy. Soldering does not seem reliable, however mine has never failed. Construction of Daedalus seems more professional.

Regards.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I would recommend not going that route at all. I tried multiple MVS->AES converters and none of them worked with my AES. Maybe it's an issue with my console, I don't know, but I've never had any issues ever playing my regular AES game on it.

IMO get a CMVS instead, Daedalus is already nearly the same price.

AirZonk

n00b
I have to second what Pegboy said. I bought the Daedalus earlier this year and totally regret it. Within a week of owning it the slots cracked since it was so hard to attach and remove MVS carts. I have no idea on how to get it repaired. Do I go through Neo Store? Definitely buy a consolized MVS instead.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Contact Shawn, I'm sure he'll take care of it. I made fun of store prices a lot but his customer service is ace.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Contact Shawn, I'm sure he'll take care of it. I made fun of store prices a lot but his customer service is ace.

Agreed, I went through 3 different converters before giving up and he was VERY understanding throughout the whole process. I've purchased several things over the years from the Neostore and have only positive things to say about him.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have placed an order to Neostore for the Daedalus v5, 5 days ago and shall update shortly on how good/bad it is since it is in transit near Singapore.
The choice of getting an adapter may sounds weird especially when I have a CMVS available but I was given a damaged AES for scrap which I had repaired and modded.
Kinda grown found of it since then.
One thing for sure is I have no intention to buy AES carts. Hence the adapter.

A friend of mine could 3D print a retractable support that I would fix on top of the home system to support the MVS cart sitting in horizontal position. Not sure how silly it sounds :lol:

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Magic Key has horrible support if you are unlucky enough to get a broken device.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have received the Daedalus today and was really impressed by the good quality built.
It was difficult to attach the MVS cart on the Daedalus slot as mentioned by AirZonk and I basically had to dismantle the MVS shell to pull out each board separately.
So far it is compatible with the few MVSs I've thrown at but have yet to try MSX.
Kinda have mix feelings about it while it is undeniably doing the job fine, switching from one MVS to another is challenging.

*have to maintain the MVS in horizontal position to avoid glitches or lack of sound.

IMAG3519.jpg

Metlcub

n00b
That is the 1 reason why I did not go with the Daedalus is the mvs carts are on it's side. I went with the magic key, it's a nice build.. Once I get my Unibios installed into my aes, I will just bypass the button all together on the magic key.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have received the Daedalus today and was really impressed by the good quality built.
It was difficult to attach the MVS cart on the Daedalus slot as mentioned by AirZonk and I basically had to dismantle the MVS shell to pull out each board separately.
So far it is compatible with the few MVSs I've thrown at but have yet to try MSX.
Kinda have mix feelings about it while it is undeniably doing the job fine, switching from one MVS to another is challenging.

*have to maintain the MVS in horizontal position to avoid glitches or lack of sound.

View attachment 38111

Use some deoxit on the contacts, it works as a lube and will help promote contact as well. And the Daedalus is actually not nearly as tight as the Phantom 1 converter.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I broke some plastic off of the cart slot of a Phantom 1 once because that bitch was so tight. I don't miss that thing at all.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Use some deoxit on the contacts, it works as a lube and will help promote contact as well. And the Daedalus is actually not nearly as tight as the Phantom 1 converter.

I am unable to find Deoxit here in Singapore. It's either WD40 contact cleaner or Mr. McKenic contact cleaner.

Contact cleaner.jpg

It's getting easier to detach the cart from the Daedalus.