MVS MV-1FZ consolized Help

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Hi all

Great forum as I sure you all know.

I have just cosolized my MV-1FZ 1 slot and I am looking for a power supply I can use (pref purchase in the uk also a guide on how to hook it up)

I have also done the stereo mod but not the 5v mod also.

Thanks as ever
B

Last edited:

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html For the +5v only mod (Neo Geo>MVS)

For power, you'll need a barrel jack and a matching 5V 3A adapter. You should be able to source these locally (Maupins?). I've only consolized a MV-1F and a MV2, so I'm not sure where you could tap it from. You may be able to connect +5v to where the +5 v comes into the board from the JAMMA edge. Paging Xian Xi on this.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the +5v entry point you can use pretty much anything since the current draw on these 1 slots are pretty low, around 1.2-1.4A usually. I prefer to use the caps as entry point or anything bigger if they exist. Make sure you use your multimeter to check which leg is ground and which is +5v.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Xian even told me to pipe my 5v in on the leg of the voltage regulator that would put out 5v. I ended up having to do this as shadowk55 did such a awesome job on my recap that I couldn't get at the legs of the cap!

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Run into a little problem. I have already done the stereo mod (removing the two 1k resisters on the back of the board) but I am not getting any sound. Does that mean I have to remove the two caps & two resisters?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Check the tutorial link I posted up earlier to JNX. Looks like you're gonna need to build an amp to get sound from the board.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I got it all working now. A bit hairy removing the two transistors & caps but it works a treat now

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
OK, when I hooked up the 1 slot CMVS to the PVM, picture looks amazing.

Hooked it up to the plasma in the front room & I am getting this

Any Ideas?

I have taken RGB & Sync from the motherboard & wired it to the scart head. Plugged it into the plasma via scart

http://postimg.org/image/i9ewwx8ol/

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Some modern LCD / Plasma can't handle the sync. That said, have you passed the composite sync through a resistor? It's worth making sure all the relevant pins on scart connector are grounded (red ground, green ground, blue ground and 2 or three others), and have you connected the +5v via resistor to the pin that switches TV to RGB mode? (Fast switching pin).

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I have passed the RGB through a resister as it was super bright. I haven't done that to the sync tho.

I also haven't done anything with 5v as I am not bothered about fast switching, should I be?

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Also how do you sync RGB. Is it by daisy chaining ground in the scart head from grind to pins 5, 9 & 13?

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
The fast switching pin tells the TV to use RGB inputs, without it you won't get a proper picture. The composite sync should be going to a pin on scart as well, via a 470 ohm resistor if memory serves. Check out one of my consolization vids - one covers making the scart cable.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Composite sync goes to pin 20 on the scart plug, first through 470ohm resistor. 5v into pin 8, and 5v through 100ohm resistor into pin 16 for fast switching.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
I have it setup just like your video mate. The only thing I don't have wired is the 5v but as far as I am aware all that does is when I switch on the cmvs the the channel automatically turns to that input (which I'm not fussed about)

Bit stuck now as why it looks like that. Gonna try it on anther plasma I think

What pins should the ground go to in the scart head, I currently have on 17, 18 & 4

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
You need to feed +5v through a 100 ohm resistor into pin 16 - or RGB wont work!! That's what you are missing! The +5v into pin 8 is what switches it automatically (I think!?!) but without +5 going into pin 16 you will get what you see now, which is what I saw on mine before I added it.

Regards ground you need:- outer case of the connector, 18,17,13,9,5,21 and 4.

EDIT: Without +5 (spec wise its supposed to be +12v but +5v works OK) into pin 16 the TV thinks you are feeding it a composite video signal rather than a seperate RGB with combined sync.

Last edited:

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Oh ok so need to add 5v to the dimm. Do I just run a wire from the resister leg to dimm and from the wire to pin 16.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
You've lost me! Dimm?

What you need to do is run 5v from the MVS to a 100ohm resistor, then from other end of the resistor to pin 16 on the scart plug. A similar size resistor will likely work - eg 390ohm or 470ohm etc.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Dimm din not sure what it's called the back of the round socket on the side of the MVS that the push the round end of the scart into

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I see! Yes, feed 5v into a pin of the DIN connector (I used AES pinout), then from scart cable to resistor to pin 16. Hopefully that should sort it =)

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Balls no 100ohm resisters, wired all the grounds in tho

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Another size will work - a 220ohm, 390ohm, or 470ohm. It's just to limit current more than anything. Even a 4K7 would probably work.

Beaps

Kabuki Klasher
Tried 470ohm and still the same ahhhhhh

Wired up all the grounds also. Gonna try it on a different tv tomoz