Mvs game scrambled graphics and no sound.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Okay so I bought a lot of 20 mvs games. All needed the contacts cleaned. found some grimey crap in them.

I can't get one to work. Contacts are super clean. The game is ninja combat.

Any other suggestions I can try before giving up on it?
Is there a way to check the ROM chips on the board?

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Okay so I bought a lot of 20 mvs games. All needed the contacts cleaned. found some grimey crap in them.

I can't get one to work. Contacts are super clean. The game is ninja combat.

Any other suggestions I can try before giving up on it?
Is there a way to check the ROM chips on the board?

Have you tried opening the cart and cleaning the boards ?

I had this problem with my Money puzzle Exchanger, the contacts were clean but the game had no sound.
I opened it and it looked clean but I still gave it another cleaning with qtips and isopropril 99% alcohol and it works now.
Be sure to let the bitch dry before testing it though.

Hope I was helpful, good luck

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
I've had it apart a few times. All I had was 91% alchohol.

The contacts are really clean. Is there anything else I need to clean?

I used a pink eraser like LukeMorse does. Then rubbed it down with 91% alchohol.

Thanks again

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Rubbing Alcohol? Wash it with soap and water if it's grimey. Use a toothbrush with liquid soap and scrub both sides of the boards then rinse them. I use warm water, not hot. Once you rinse them, I use canned air to get water out from under the quad flat chips(if any) then hang them in the sun for about 2 hours. Just make sure there isn't any water left on the board before powering it back on.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
So, what is the exact problem you are having with the game? if it shows crosshatch, then the P1 chip may have issues. Try burning an EPROM and replacing it. If it shows corrupted graphics, then the C roms or the S rom may have problems. If it's audio, the V or M1 chips may be the problem. Also check traces going from/to the chips. If you have a UniBIOS, and the cart at least displays something, then try checking it. That tests only the P1 chip, but it's a start.

Regards.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
No audio at all. The graphics are all blocky and scrambled.

I'm going to try the warn and soapy water idea next.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Washed them last night and let them dry. Same problem.
I looked the boards over a few times. No cut traces or exposed traces.

Do we have any members here that offer repair service for the mvs games?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Washed them last night and let them dry. Same problem.
I looked the boards over a few times. No cut traces or exposed traces.

Do we have any members here that offer repair service for the mvs games?

For a low value game, you'd be better off buying another one. Fixing it would be anywhere from $10-40 plus shipping both ways for a $30-40 game.

ObeyMyEgo

Kula's Candy
Hate to see it go to waste is all. Oh well.

Maybe someone could use it to parts or something.

darknezz19

n00b
ObeyMyEgo do you have a soldering iron? If so you might want to look on the backs of the boards for any crusty or weird looking joints. Check the neo-* smd chip for any legs that might look out of whack. A multimeter in diode mode with an audible beep will really help testing for continuity here. It could also be a bad rom chip like aha2940 suggested.

Other than that if you want to ship it I'll look at it. worst case scenario if I can't get it working I can make you an offer on it to use for a repro or for parts.

Last edited: