MVS 4-slot on only 5V (and no 12V)?

sales

n00b
(I've asked this same question elsewhere on the internet, but with no reply so far).
Hi, so I decided to better consolize my 4-slot Neo Geo MVS. I'm not sure if it's MVS-4F or MVS-4T (or is it MV4, MV4F, MV4FS2, MV4FT2? as still kind of a newbie I'm still not sure which is which).
One thing I want to do, is to ditch the clunky ATX power supply and use a smaller one.
I've heard rumors that some models can run on only 5V without any 12V supplied, since it is only used for sound or something. I tested this and my Neo Neo seems to run fine on only 5V and plenty of sound coming from the headphone connector.
So my question is: what, if any, are the downsides of not having 12V supplied to the board?
Is to have less current going through the 5V connectors on the jamma-like connection? And if so, how bad is it to only use 5V?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Iirc, No +12v line. No audio amp stage.

Rest of the board should work fine, as long as you keep your +5v levels on target.

Seen people hook the headphone lines up to an amplified speaker system to compensate.

Last edited:

sales

n00b
Iirc, No +12v line. No audio amp stage.

Rest of the board should work fine, as long as you keep your +5v levels on target.

Seen people hook the headphone lines up to an amplified speaker system so compensate.

Thanks!

If you don't mind an extra question: I plan to change the battery - probably to a CR2032 coin cell battery holder (and remember to remove the 470 ohm resistor to prevent charging). However, if I'm lazy, could I just remove the battery and live without high scores and saved games settings?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Thanks!

If you don't mind an extra question: I plan to change the battery - probably to a CR2032 coin cell battery holder (and remember to remove the 470 ohm resistor to prevent charging). However, if I'm lazy, could I just remove the battery and live without high scores and saved games settings?

Yes, and its not always the 470ohm resister to prevent charging. Some boards require other things be removed too.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
On my MV-4 I just gave the 12V section 5V and the headphone out audio is perfectly fine this way. Your mileage may vary, but I'd try it first.