MV-1C & New Astro City Cab Problem

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
I got my New Astro City Candy Cab the other day. I played some standard Jamma & US CPS2 games on it for a hour or so. At this point, no problems. I then tried my MV-1C with Metal Slug 4 in it. The slot booted up, went through the title screen, and I went to character select. The game then just started resetting over and over. I went back and tried some of the Jamma & CPS2 games and they all work. But I can't the MV-1C up and running again.

I'm assuming that maybe the power was too high and the fuse had blown. The manual suggests a replacement Fuse of 125V, 5A Semi-time lag type with the dimensions 5.2mm dia. x 20mm tube. I was wondering if the fuse linked below would work.

http://www.happcontrols.com/wp/item_search.html?item-no=49-0495-00

As far as I can tell the only differences are the size (5mm x 20mm, slightly smaller) and the fact that it's a Fast Blow Type fuse. Will this one work? Is there a better fuse you can recommend?

Thanks in advance for the help!

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Check the 5 volt rail (at the jamma edge connect, not the psu), if low it could cause boot up problems.

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
Adjusted the power and the MV-1C booted up far enough for me to get to the test menu. But when it tries to run the game it resets. I can catch a glimpse of the difficulty level at the bottom right before it resets. Is there a bigger problem with my MV-1C or this still related to the psu?

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
Finally got a digital multimeter. Turned it on the AUTO DC range. Placed the BLACK lead on the ground (PIN 1 of the JAMMA harness). And then placed the RED lead to +5 (PIN 4 on the JAMMA harness). But every time I do, I get a wild variety of readings. It jumps back and forth from 001.0 all the way to 006.0 on the readout. And I can't get a solid reading.

I've tried testing the cab with and without a PCB in the JAMMA harness. Measuring at the JAMMA harness. And yes, the PSU was turned on each time.

Now the question is: What am I doing wrong? Is this how you should measure the +5 rail on a cab?

I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to electronics. And any help is very much appreciated. I'm really anxious to play some MVS games. I've been without a fix for about a week now... :(

Thanks for your time!

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Are you sure you're using the DCV (volt) section of the DMM and not the DCA (ampere)? What settings does the DMM have in the DCV section? Choose the one that's immediately above 5v (for instance 20V or whatever). Pin 1 (or 2) for ground and pin 3 (or 4) for 5V is OK. Make sure the contact is not dodgy. Also make sure the DMM leads are in the correct sockets: usually there is a third socket for DCA which should not be used for your purpose.

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
The multimeter has 3 initial settings Voltage Detect, Measure Open/Short, and Current Detect. Then you have to hit a select button for different functions under the setting. I'm using the Voltage Decect and have it selected on Measure DC Voltage. It automatically finds a range and then displays output.

I looked in the manual, and it says the 000.0 display is suppose to be the 200v range. Why it's choosing to display this one I don't know, but I can't get it to switch (since it's auto and has no manual switches). But under the Current Detect setting with the Measure DC Current option, I can get the 00.00 display going, which the manual says is in the 20v range.

Last edited:

Shin-Strider

NEST Puppet
The multimeter still gives me a variety of readouts. So I just kept adjusting the psu, but got nothing out of it. I gave up and let it sit there for the rest of the night. I get up this morning, turn it on. And it works! I was able to play Metal Slug 4, beat Metal Slug 5, and even played a few rounds on Double Dragon. It was on for a couple of hours.

Then I tried to play RBFF2 on it. And the cabinet went into resetting mode again. I went back to the previous games we were playing, but those reset too. I can still get to the test menu, but whenever it tries to load the game, it resets. Oddly enough, all my Jamma & CPS2 boards work regardless of how much the PSU's been tweaked. It only gives me trouble on the MVS games.

Now I'm beginning to think it's just the PSU. All the parts in it are the original parts when the cab was built. And the JAMMA harness has a date of 12 - 28 - 95 on it. Almost a decade old. Now could the PSU's age be the problem? Should it be replaced?