MS8-29 smoke patterns

NOAH

New Challenger
So I purchased a cabinet from a friend recently and didn't notice this problem during testing. Another friend of ours moved the cabinet in his truck and brought it to me and I stupidly waited a month to turn the cabinet on for the first time since the position it was moved to within my apartment didn't allow the plug to reach and it took me weeks before rearranging my cabinets. Anyway, now there are two smoke patterns that run from the very bottom to the very top of the picture in two places, one on the left side and one on the right side. Both are about 4-6 inches from each side of the picture once it is centered. I supposed it should be noted that the size of the patterns change with the hori and vert amp adjustments. The position of the patterns however does not appear to change at all with hori/vert position adjustment. Also, it looks like the two patterns move in sync with each other and the thickness of the pattern is wider at first and narrows a bit when the monitor warms up. I've adjusted the flyback output and disconnected the light fixture with no improvement. If the brightness is turned down it doesn't appear in the darkest of darks but appears more in mid-shades. If the brightness is turned up it appears in darker shades. The input voltage is 120.9-121V and this is a MS8 tube/yolk/chassis. I imagine this shouldn't be an issue as I have another MS8 chassis that has the same input voltage with no problem, though that one is paired with a MS9 tube so I suppose it's not the exact same setup. Any ideas?

Thanks to all who can help.

Here's a link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59825508@N04/sets/72157634362171591/

Last edited:

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Posting the video would help. I am still pretty positive that the caps are going bad, since you told me it got better after it warmed up a bit (even though it didn't go away completely).

NOAH

New Challenger
Posting the video would help. I am still pretty positive that the caps are going bad, since you told me it got better after it warmed up a bit (even though it didn't go away completely).

Were you able to see it in that video?

NOAH

New Challenger
Yes, I saw the video once you sent it to me via email.

So it is visible enough? Just wasn't sure how it looked on a computer display, I could kinda see it on my phone as it was. I'll post it to flickr when I get a chance if it's flickr compatible. I'm at work now so I can't do it at the moment.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
So it is visible enough? Just wasn't sure how it looked on a computer display, I could kinda see it on my phone as it was. I'll post it to flickr when I get a chance if it's flickr compatible. I'm at work now so I can't do it at the moment.

I think I saw what you mean in the video on my computer monitor. It was too small to see on my phone screen. I'm still thinking it's the caps are going bad, since they are old.