Modern replacement for 32Mb V ROM?

pollsoda

n00b
First off, I'm new to repairing Neo Geo carts, ROM programming, etc so forgive my questions.

I'm trying to replace a V ROM (32Mb / 4MB in size) on an MVS cartridge and from some reading, it looks like you can't use a 27C322 because it's a 16-bit part.

I found another thread here ("27C322 as a 32mbit V Rom") that's several years old that suggests using 26L6420 with the SOP44 adapter or MX29L3211 with an adapter (one for programming, another for reading).

Is there a more straightforward way of doing this now?

Some googling led me to something like a "FUJITSU MBM29F033C-90PTN with TSOP Adapter III" that appears to be a 32Mb 40-pin TSOP 5V part on a 40-pin DIP. Will this work as a drop-in replacement?

I have a GQ-4X V4 (GQ-4x4) and the 16-bit adapter. What's the most straightforward way of getting a replacement V ROM - buying this part pre-programmed (from buyic) or ordering the part(s) and DIY'ing it? I'm comfortable soldering TSOP, etc if that matters.

Or is there a better part that will work in my situation?

Thanks for your help. I didn't want to necrobump the old thread, since some of the info may be dated now or changed since?

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Concerning the "FUJITSU MBM29F033C-90PTN with TSOP Adapter III", the only surefire approach would be to get a datasheet for the 40 pin adapter used and compare its pinout with that of a regular 32Mbit EPROM (or more specifically, SNK's V ROM pinout).

If you come across the 36 pin version on buyicnow, keep in mind that adapter is meant for SNES cartridges, which use a custom pinout.