[Mod] SNES controllers for the MVS

Hi there:

I want to share this modification (that is more a adding that a modification), and it's especially useful for a NEO-GEO console making, I'm talking about using the original SNES controllers on the MVS.

1onkg4.jpg

I'm actually testing it and its working pretty fine, the better part is that the buttons distribution is up to you, so you can use your favorite distribution.

I want to share the idea so I can hear what do you think about; meanwhile I work in the tutorial.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Hi there:

I want to share this modification (that is more a adding that a modification), and it's especially useful for a NEO-GEO console making, I'm talking about using the original SNES controllers on the MVS.

1onkg4.jpg

I'm actually testing it and its working pretty fine, the better part is that the buttons distribution is up to you, so you can use your favorite distribution.

I want to share the idea so I can hear what do you think about; meanwhile I work in the tutorial.

So, kinda like toodles' FGW adapter, but only for SNES.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
So it's a decoder from the serial the SNES uses to parallel, which the neo uses. A schematics would be useful, your pic is not clear enough, to say the less.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
A schematics would be useful, your pic is not clear enough, to say the less.
yeah it's a cool idea... but that pic is one hot mess ^^

Also as far as pads go, maybe making a Saturn converter would be a good idea?
[And there has been an out of the box converter that does what you're trying to do for some time... but going DIY (+open souce?) is way awesome :)]

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The FGW adapter converts playstation, Saturn, or snes to its raw inputs. I use it for neo geo converters, and its pretty cheap ($15). You can get them from godlikecontrols.com

Of course, in fact the advantage of this project is that everything is custom, in fact I'm using the SNES controller because it's the one that reassembles the NEO-GEO CD controller but with a little more of work I can certainly use almost any controller, the PS controller seems a good idea too, and the Saturn controller well I have only the one that have an analog stick and came with nights, I was thinking about using the Game Cube controller or the GENESIS controller with 6 buttons, as I said I'm hearing ideas.
Open source? Of course I have no problem with that I'm glad to hear ideas for the code too.
The FGW adapter converts playstation, Saturn, or snes to its raw inputs. I use it for neo geo converters, and its pretty cheap ($15). You can get them from godlikecontrols.com
I didn't know about that adapter but the idea here is to make the thing custom, I guess it's easier to get the microcontroller and the best part is the we can have both players in the same micro instead of using 2 converters, and I'm trying to decode more controllers not only SNES but GC, PS, GENESIS and maybe Dreamcast.
The picture is sure a mess XD but the part to decode the SNES controller is only the part that is in protoboards the others circuits are for the RGB to CV and SVid converter that it's custom too.
I'll upload and schematic in fact it's pretty simple, practically the microcontrollers does all the work.