Mmmm... Did someone just try to scam me?

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
I just got a strange phone call and it made me nervous enough to call and cancel my credit cards (All 3) and request new card numbers.
Basically I got a phone call telling me I was eligible to win some sweepstakes for $5,000 and I will be sent a free wrist watch as well.
The person calling knew my age, and knew the address of my apartment complex, but not my actual apartment number.
I said "Yeah, but I dont want the gift, so dont send me anything" and they hung up.

I did not give them any person information.

Either way, I called around, canceled stuff, requested new cards.

Anyone receive any phone calls similar to this recently?

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
None of tthat information sounds like something that isn't out & about. I think if someone had all the info you went about canceling, they wouldn't call with a wrist watch (Casio FTW!) but you'd have seen a very interesting card statement with no warning.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Hmmm...I don't think they had your CC info but better safe than sorry.

It's like these douchebags watch your every movement on camera or some shit...I get all of these offers and I never sign up for a goddamn thing. :scratch:

Phyeir

Hmmm...I don't think they had your CC info but better safe than sorry.

It's like these douchebags watch your every movement on camera or some shit...I get all of these offers and I never sign up for a goddamn thing. :scratch:

The most annoying ones are car warranty offers... don't even HAVE a damn warranty on my car, so how is it running out?!?

DewmanSNK

Formerly NeoGeeO, , Collaborator
10 Year Member
ZabaSearch and others have made it all to easy to collect "personal" information about people.
http://www.zabasearch.com/

Does not sound like they had anything out of the ordinary, but as was said - Better safe than sorry. What gets me is my work has me put my last 4 digits of my SS number on my time-sheet, and on my pay-stub puts the first 6 digits and blanks the last 4. So with a time-sheet and a pay-stub you got my whole soc.

Keep Clear

The Ultimate 11
We get these type phone calls all the time, for example we won a holiday once and it was to good to be true, just hang up on them, all a big scam.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Wow, overreaction much?

A common background check can yield more personal info than what they gave you over the phone.

Pink Spider

Beast Buster
Wow, overreaction much?

Just with financial stuff. :mr_t:
Actually a few years ago, someone some how got my one of my credit card numbers. It's a card I've had over 10 years. At the time I hadnt used the card in question for about 2 years. Currently I use this card only for work travel expenses which is reimbursed.

Either way, someone ordered $600 or so worth of something from some medical supply website. I caught it when the website who received the order called me due to the order seeming suspicious.
Never had anything else strange at all show up like that anywhere else, before or since.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
Just with financial stuff. :mr_t:
Actually a few years ago, someone some how got my one of my credit card numbers. It's a card I've had over 10 years. At the time I hadnt used the card in question for about 2 years. Currently I use this card only for work travel expenses which is reimbursed.

Either way, someone ordered $600 or so worth of something from some medical supply website. I caught it when the website who received the order called me due to the order seeming suspicious.
Never had anything else strange at all show up like that anywhere else, before or since.
Ah, I can see why you'd be pretty jumpy in that situation then. In all reality I would've probably reacted in the same manner. Maybe not so far as to cancel/re-order cards.

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
The most annoying ones are car warranty offers... don't even HAVE a damn warranty on my car, so how is it running out?!?

I think the GOV'T finally started cracking down on these. My gf used to get 2-3 a week but now she doesn't get any more. I read online that they were going after these people.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Ha! I was getting these about two months ago. I just let the answering machine get them. My car is twenty years old and well past any warranties I can assure you.:lolz:

Phyeir

I think the GOV'T finally started cracking down on these. My gf used to get 2-3 a week but now she doesn't get any more. I read online that they were going after these people.

Yeah, I've noticed that I barely get them anymore, once a week maybe... used to be at LEAST daily.