Might have to put down my dog :(

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
A couple weeks back we took our dogs to the vet for checkup and shots and flea meds and such. A couple of weeks later, one of our dogs started acting funky and being really lazy. I took her to the vet on Wednesday and they gave me meds to give her to help digestion and to relieve pain thinking she was just sore since there didn't seem to be much else wrong with her.

Last night I went outside to have a cigarette and she tripped on the stairs going outside. This morning, she did the same thing. Once might be an accident but twice in 2 days is something wrong.

Took her back to the vet and she has a high fever, no coordination, is super stressed and has started pressing her head against stuff. All bad news. They took blood, did a bunch of xrays and a handful of other tests, but don't have the facilities to do anything more. They gave me some steroids and antibiotics and said that if it were an infection that it would definitely help, but if there is no improvement by Monday or Tuesday that I will have to take her to the veterinary college for MRI and CT scans. It's not looking good, and it fucking sucks.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear that. Pets are like members of the family; I hope everything works out for you.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Sorry to hear that. Pets are like members of the family; I hope everything works out for you.

Me too. Hoping that it ends up being an infection of some kind but the symptoms don't really seem to be going that way. The shit part is that I am already $500 into vet bills and the only thing they have figured out is what isn't wrong with her. If she needs CT scans or MRIs or some shit, that will be a few grand and then whatever the cost of the actual treatment is. My brother in law and sister are concerned that we might spend thousands of dollars on diagnostic shit just to find out that we can't do anything for her, or it's gonna cost thousands of dollars more to treat her. I'm not sure that all of that is an expense the family is able to take on, and while we love her, spending another $5k+ is real rough. Tough choices man.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This sucks and is definitely one of the hardest parts of life when you get close to animals. I have a lot of experience with dogs and would recommend that you go to the veterinary hospital (not the vet's office but the actual hospital) ASAP. They have a lot of experience and their staff can discuss among each other what the issue may be, whereas a vet's office often only has one main vet that comes to one conclusion. They also have experts in imaging, as opposed to a normal generalist vet. Hospitals often offer payment plans whereas vets can want payments all up front. Type up a timeline of everything that you noticed that was weird, what the vet's office said, and what treatments she's been given. Also obviously mention you have another dog, which can help rule out certain things.

Stay positive. This could be as simple as a fungal infection. Give her space if she needs it but she'll be able to pick up on positivity or negativity.

For the other dog owners here, always put as much money aside as you can for an emergency - I had 15K put aside as of last year and put a very large dent in it, but have no regrets because my dog is healthy and alive - and if anything seems severely wrong, go to the hospital for a consultation, bloodwork, and imaging.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Are you sure it's not a side effect from something they gave to the dog at the first check up? Every time I take my dog in for vaccines, etc he is real sick for a couple of weeks. I think he's allergic to one of the treatments they do but haven't been able to pinpoint. I truly miss our old country vet. In and out in 10 minutes, no bullshit. These big city vet clinics seem like a fucking scam with all the testing and outrageous prices. They guilt you into spending as much money as possible and never seem to solve anything. I'm honestly convinced they are poisoning my dog and he's better off not going in unless there's a pressing issue.

Anyway, good luck! Hope she improves.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Are you sure it's not a side effect from something they gave to the dog at the first check up? Every time I take my dog in for vaccines, etc he is real sick for a couple of weeks. I think he's allergic to one of the treatments they do but haven't been able to pinpoint. I truly miss our old country vet. In and out in 10 minutes, no bullshit. These big city vet clinics seem like a fucking scam with all the testing and outrageous prices. They guilt you into spending as much money as possible and never seem to solve anything. I'm honestly convinced they are poisoning my dog and he's better off not going in unless there's a pressing issue.

Anyway, good luck! Hope she improves.

We considered that. When I asked the vet, they said that if it were a serious side effect from something it would have started showing symptoms shortly after the initial visit and not weeks later.

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. It's appreciated. I know a lot of us like our pets more than we like most other people.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
:( Sorry brother. I hope everything turns out for the better.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pets are family. All the best.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Losing my dog was the most deviating thing in my life besides the death of my grandparents as a child.

We'll keep you and your baby in our thoughts.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
While personally I love my animals I've found I can't get too worked up when they pass as it seems to occupy the same part of my brain that recognizes the abject cruelty of nature and the natural state of all things, but thats me, I completely understand and empathize with others who love their animals as if they were their children and a part of the family and how heartbreaking it is to lose them, my thoughts are with you in this difficult time. I also share the hopes of other posters that it isn't anything serious

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Bummer man, just make sure it's legit before you have them put down. I've been a dog person my whole life but don't prolong it's suffering, that's the worst thing you can do.

Give her a hug and let her go if you have to.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
That really bites man. I know what it's like. I hope you feel better. Just know that what ever you decide is the right thing for you and your pup.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
This sucks and is definitely one of the hardest parts of life when you get close to animals. I have a lot of experience with dogs and would recommend that you go to the veterinary hospital (not the vet's office but the actual hospital) ASAP. They have a lot of experience and their staff can discuss among each other what the issue may be, whereas a vet's office often only has one main vet that comes to one conclusion. They also have experts in imaging, as opposed to a normal generalist vet. Hospitals often offer payment plans whereas vets can want payments all up front. Type up a timeline of everything that you noticed that was weird, what the vet's office said, and what treatments she's been given. Also obviously mention you have another dog, which can help rule out certain things.

Stay positive. This could be as simple as a fungal infection. Give her space if she needs it but she'll be able to pick up on positivity or negativity.

This^ I got lucky where we moved to up here in Indiana. Great Vet hospital no b.s. people is what I like most of this place. Its located in Elkhart, IN had to have her early vaccinations 2 weeks ago best she has ever done / acted after them.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Holy shit that sucks. Hopefully it ends up being a fluke infection or something that clears up soon. Dealing with pet illness or injury is never fun. Having to end up putting them to sleep is the worst. I really hope it doesn't come to that, and that your dog bounces back to her normal puppy self.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Bummer man, just make sure it's legit before you have them put down. I've been a dog person my whole life but don't prolong it's suffering, that's the worst thing you can do.

This. I've had to put two of my best friends down so far. It truly is your final display of love and respect for them.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
This. I've had to put two of my best friends down so far. It truly is your final display of love and respect for them.

That might be true, but it doesn't make it any easier. Losing a pet fucking sucks really bad.

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Well, here's the update. This morning we were outside and she was active but her balance was still shit and she was really nervous. Took her back in the house and she started having really bad twitches that actually took her off her feet. Couldn't wait until tomorrow to take her back to her regular vet so we took her to the emergency vet. They said we had a few options. Wait and take her to the vet school for CT and MRI and spinal tap and such, take her home and keep her on the meds shes on and hope for the best, or treat with IV antibiotics for bacterial infection and hope that it does the trick. Since we had decided already that we couldn't afford the CT/MRI and subsequent treatment if it ended up being a tumor, we opted to put her on the IV antibiotics and hope that it solves the problem. Had to leave her overnight and I have to move her tomorrow.

Hopefully it helps, because if it doesn't we are out of options.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
First off let me say I'm truly sorry you have to go through this, I know what it's like unfortunately. I've had to put down 4 pets already and I have 2 more that are very old currently.
Based on what you have detailed, save the animal the pain and let it go with dignity. Yes it's hard to play God with another creatures life but you have to step up and be that for them. You obviously care for your animal and that's commendable, but the longer you drag this out the worse you will feel in retrospect. My advice is to make peace with yourselves and the dog, have one more good night with her and be merciful.

Good luck either way, like I said this comes from much painful experience.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear, it is never easy to make the decision but just know that you are doing your pet a favor not to prolong their suffering.

I had to put down my 2nd dog last December, it was very very tough (since a year or so before, I had to put the first dog down).

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
this is just the worst. we had to put our american bull/ lab mix down 5 months back and it was just the worst feeling.

it's the knowing you can't do anything else for them that kills you. good luck.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Sorry to hear man, I actaully have my dog scheduled for this Friday. :( He's my 15yo rhodesian named Neo. It's gonna suck big. My wife and I told our 6 yo son tonight, he didn't take it well. "Sucks" just doesn't capture it.

You should probably get a 2nd opinion too, I'd like to think vet's aren't crooked, but there are some everywhere.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

This, and as you mentioned in an earlier post if the Financial burden is gonna put you and youre kids in a bad spot and you are not guaranteed that your dog will make a full recovery then unfortunately it seems best to put the dog down.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I've put pets down it sucks. Theres a video of a family on youtube and theyre beloved dog who has to be put down. They take him to the park, feed him a pile of hamburgers and cake, the whole family is there, playing for hours, and they actually put him down at the park. His last day was awesome. Wish I had done that, one last great day. If it comes down to it sadly might be a good last memory for you an the fam. Hope the best for you brother..

xRealNinjuzx

Astra Superstar
Very excited. The vet said she has been responding very well to the treatment and her stumbling is gone and she has her energy back. In the next day or two, her run of IV antibiotics will be done and they are thinking she will be able to come home tonight or tomorrow. She's gonna have to go during the day for more stuff and she will be on prescription for a week or so but it looks like she is pretty much in the clear :D

Thanks for all of the well wishes guys. It's totally appreciated.

dog.jpg