Metal Slug game issues with bootleg MV-1C board

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Hi all,

First post here.

Tried to post in that "Welcome to teh drama" thread, but it wouldn't allow me to start a new thread there. Something about lack of "privileges"/whatever.

So I want to say "long-time lurker" but that would be lying. Truth is I had forgotten I had even registered for an account here. Last Pass Password Manager to the rescue. Don't hold it against me. Senility setting in? Could well be. :p

All the way from Johannesburg, South Africa. :)

Anyways, so recently I was able to get my hands on an arcade cab. The 1-slot MV-1C in there is a boot. Known as the "Gobit".

The issue, as I say, is with the original Metal Slug. At first I thought it was the game itself. I cleaned it thoroughly. Also checked the scans online to see if the PCB's looked legit. They are.

A while after that managed to get a 2nd copy of that game. Same exact issues.

The colors in-game are distorted/washed out, you can't see your character (only the weapon used) and there is no sound.

So now I'm wondering whether these bootleg boards are known to have issues/incompatibilities with certain games. Any list/info out there?

As well, I'd like in the future to be able to get that 161-in-1 multicart, but from what I've been able to read up on so far- the 161/150 in 1 requires a unibios to work on a MV-1C as you have to disable the hardware test or you will get a Z80 error on boot-up.

At this point I'm most probably better off investing in another 1-slot board. Finding one here though would be very difficult, and the shipping costs for me to go the import route aren't exactly cheap either.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hi all,

First post here.

Tried to post in that "Welcome to teh drama" thread, but it wouldn't allow me to start a new thread there. Something about lack of "privileges"/whatever.

So I want to say "long-time lurker" but that would be lying. Truth is I had forgotten I had even registered for an account here. Last Pass Password Manager to the rescue. Don't hold it against me. Senility setting in? Could well be. :p

All the way from Johannesburg, South Africa. :)

Anyways, so recently I was able to get my hands on an arcade cab. The 1-slot MV-1C in there is a boot. Known as the "Gobit".

The issue, as I say, is with the original Metal Slug. At first I thought it was the game itself. I cleaned it thoroughly. Also checked the scans online to see if the PCB's looked legit. They are.

A while after that managed to get a 2nd copy of that game. Same exact issues.

The colors in-game are distorted/washed out, you can't see your character (only the weapon used) and there is no sound.

So now I'm wondering whether these bootleg boards are known to have issues/incompatibilities with certain games. Any list/info out there?

As well, I'd like in the future to be able to get that 161-in-1 multicart, but from what I've been able to read up on so far- the 161/150 in 1 requires a unibios to work on a MV-1C as you have to disable the hardware test or you will get a Z80 error on boot-up.

At this point I'm most probably better off investing in another 1-slot board. Finding one here though would be very difficult, and the shipping costs for me to go the import route aren't exactly cheap either.

Pics would be nice, however fixing those bootleg boards may be very hard (or impossible) because AFAIK they do not use the same exact parts/board layout as the original ones, and because they seem to be rare, they are not very well understood. The best route may be getting a working-original one. Another option is testing your cab with a working board, so you can be sure there are no problems with it.

Regards.

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Pics would be nice, however fixing those bootleg boards may be very hard (or impossible) because AFAIK they do not use the same exact parts/board layout as the original ones, and because they seem to be rare, they are not very well understood. The best route may be getting a working-original one. Another option is testing your cab with a working board, so you can be sure there are no problems with it.

Regards.

Cheers for the reply. :)

Reckon I'm going to go ahead and try to get an MV-1A. I saw one locally, but that was quite a while back. Hopefully the guy hasn't sold it by now. As I say, not easy to find them over here.
As well, I've heard those are easier in terms of installation if I was thinking of going the UniBIOS route.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
If you'd be willing to let go of it one way or another, I'm very interested in the bootleg board for research purposes.