Metal Slug 3 monkey...

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
So far I've spotted three points in the game where you can free this little guy, but I've only succeeded in collecting bonus points for him one time, and that was on mission 1. Has anybody been able to defeat the mission 2 boss without losing him in the process? I'm under the impression that he can run away under certain conditions other than you dying, or fall asleep and not follow you any further, but I could be wrong. If anybody can shed any more light on this little nose-picking bonus guy I'd appreciate it. :)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
you can rescue him, he counts as a hostage obviously I think you may get 300k for him, I'll check during a revision break today.

he's basically a funny powerup, doesn't do jack really.. maybe help you out once or twice.

but you can take him all the way through level 2, I know that for sure.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
It may possibly be 300,000. I know that with him, about 15 POW's, and the girl, I remember a figure with about six zeroes behind it for a total score for stage 1. Now I may be mistaken, since I didn't take notes or anything and was fighting sleep deprivation Saturday night when I did it. All I remember for certain is that with this little monkey it seems your score kicks ass.

Has anybody spotted more than three times in the game where he appears?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I'm not sure he appears more than thrice.

by the way, hang around a bit on the level 2 boss, when the runes are falling, for more POWS.

.. did you get the two that pop out of the ice cave before entering it - if you wait around?

.. did you get the two directly after getting the monkey, where you are higher than the zombies, drop down, kill them, turn around and shoot part of the aeroplane chassis?

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
by the way, hang around a bit on the level 2 boss, when the runes are falling, for more POWS.
Yes sir, time to clean up on some serious bonus points here. It's weird that the runes are about 10x easier than the damned aliens you fight beforehand.

.. did you get the two that pop out of the ice cave before entering it - if you wait around?
Yeap, even though the knuckleheads turn and run right back into the cave after you collect them... :p

.. did you get the two directly after getting the monkey, where you are higher than the zombies, drop down, kill them, turn around and shoot part of the aeroplane chassis?
In the words of Homer Simpson: "D'oh!"

I kept suspecting there were POW's back in that area. I've even fired a bunch of times into it, but for some reason never found them. I'll try this as soon I get a chance to play again.

Have you found all the extra bonus points in the bug cave? I've found something like three or four frogs worth 500,000 each, and an extra POW all from firing into the open crevaces on the ceiling.

Since we're on Metal Slug 3 at the moment, in the first missile on mission 1, where you fire at it until a bonus item falls out, do you know what determines that particular item? For some reason I can get a key for a couple thousand some times, then other times just a damned old bone for 100 points. Is it in the way you fire at it? Maybe the way you're facing?

Also, a point of interest: I saw a UFO far into the sky in mission 1 only one time. Reminded me of Metal Slug 2 where you can spot a UFO in China Town on occasion. Anybody got a clue why this is, or just a little novelty of the game?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
"Have you found all the extra bonus points in the bug cave? I've found something like three or four frogs worth 500,000 each, and an extra POW all from firing into the open crevaces on the ceiling."

Bug cave? with the maggots? I get some 50k's in there when you shoot upwards in the 'channel's in the roof.

"Since we're on Metal Slug 3 at the moment, in the first missile on mission 1, where you fire at it until a bonus item falls out, do you know what determines that particular item? For some reason I can get a key for a couple thousand some times, then other times just a damned old bone for 100 points. Is it in the way you fire at it? Maybe the way you're facing? "

No idea, its either 100 or 1000, more importantly check the fish head on the floor before it. After getting that 'missile' bonus, I've usually got 9100 or 10,000 points at that exact time.

"Also, a point of interest: I saw a UFO far into the sky in mission 1 only one time. Reminded me of Metal Slug 2 where you can spot a UFO in China Town on occasion. Anybody got a clue why this is, or just a little novelty of the game?"

I think it just comes up if you wait around long enough - Its in metal slug 1 too.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
No idea, its either 100 or 1000, more importantly check the fish head on the floor before it. After getting that 'missile' bonus, I've usually got 9100 or 10,000 points at that exact time.
Hmmmm, hadn't considered the fish head. I'll have to try this too. :)

I think it just comes up if you wait around long enough - Its in metal slug 1 too.
eek! Really?! Any mission in particular?

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
uhm.. level 3 if i'm not mistaken, I'll check today.

Wing Nut

Mr. Big's Thug
And don't forget to jump and shoot straight down into the water when you first start on level 1 to release a bunch of fish.

I always see the UFO in MS1 on level 3 by the tree after defeating the Mr. T machine gun dude.

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Wing Nut:
And don't forget to jump and shoot straight down into the water when you first start on level 1 to release a bunch of fish.

I always see the UFO in MS1 on level 3 by the tree after defeating the Mr. T machine gun dude.
Damn, I feel like a guy that just picked Metal Slug 3 up yesterday. Thanks for the pointer Wing Nut. Looks like I'm about to increase my score quite a bit! Yey... :D

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Lou Gojira:
Wing Nut:

Damn, I feel like a guy that just picked Metal Slug 3 up yesterday. Thanks for the pointer Wing Nut. Looks like I'm about to increase my score quite a bit! Yey... :D
sorry, I assumed you knew that one.. lol

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Okay, I tried this last night several times, and nothing. I didn't even hear where shots were registering.

I found one part, as you pass the tail of the plane in mission 2 where you can fire up and it registers a couple of hits. However, after these two hits, nothing comes out. Ya'll know anything about this?

In case you guys don't know about this, on mission 1, if you go right of the Sub Slug, and not jump into it, jump up and fire into the water, and you get one helluva bonus. Something like 10 frogs flying in from off screen. :)

Do you guys have any pointers on snagging all of the crabs that scatter and run? I've found that a bomb will reverse their course back to you, but this isn't 100% guaranteed. I've got all but one of them, at the most.

L Z Olejarczyk

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The monkey only succumbs to narcolepsy at prescripted checkpoints. You still get the assorted bonuses if you manage to beat the rest of the mission without dying.
This is pure convenience coding - scripting the monkey's behavior in sequences like the first boss battle could've proven very time consuming and surely would not pay off, serving as little more than cosmetic detail.

There are no special conditions for the monkey to desert you, save death and checkpoint, so don't worry.

Thirdly, practical usage. The main purpose of the ape is to serve as a waypoint for secrets. If you see it empty a round at a seemingly random target, duplicating it's behavior is almost guaranteed to unlock a bonus or POW.
The monkey rarely, if ever, engages in a shooting spree purposelessly. Pay close attention to how it behaves all through mission two for some convincing.
The monkey's secondary and more obvious duty is to aid you in battle by launching burst fire at your foes. As you've likely already noticed, this happens very sparsely and should not be counted on. Still, it can eventually save your life if you play the game for a high enough amount of time. The most helpful it gets is the first phase of the second boss fight, where the ape's ferocity seems to elevate beyond napping.

Sorry for the weak english.

Cheers

<small>[ June 10, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: L Z Olejarczyk ]</small>

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
"Okay, I tried this last night several times, and nothing. I didn't even hear where shots were registering."

Keep trying, I'll get a pic later. :)

"I found one part, as you pass the tail of the plane in mission 2 where you can fire up and it registers a couple of hits. However, after these two hits, nothing comes out. Ya'll know anything about this?"

It just gives you a few points, nothings ever fallen down for me.

"In case you guys don't know about this, on mission 1, if you go right of the Sub Slug, and not jump into it, jump up and fire into the water, and you get one helluva bonus. Something like 10 frogs flying in from off screen. :) "

I didn't know that one, will give it a go today.

"Do you guys have any pointers on snagging all of the crabs that scatter and run? I've found that a bomb will reverse their course back to you, but this isn't 100% guaranteed. I've got all but one of them, at the most."

I've got all of em, just jump onto them before they start to seperate too much, and you should land smack bang on top of all of them.. meh bad description.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
kernow:

"I found one part, as you pass the tail of the plane in mission 2 where you can fire up and it registers a couple of hits. However, after these two hits, nothing comes out. Ya'll know anything about this?"

It just gives you a few points, nothings ever fallen down for me.
I can confirm this, I always expected something to fall out of that airplane wreck's tail, but nothing ever comes out, I just get a few points for shooting at it.