Mega Neo Geo AES display problems

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out here.

I recently bought a Mega Neo Geo system (s-video, debug bios). When I connect it to my HDTV (Sony XBR 30" Flat panel LCD), I notice color/tint problems that appear near the center of the screen when there is alot of RED present (i.e. SamSho5: Gaira Stage) making it look Orange; or BLUE (i.e. SamSho5: Basara's stage) making parts appear GREEN. I also have a NEO GEO CDZ that I use with the same S-video cables to the same inputs on the TV and the picture is 100% fine. So I've sent the system off to the guy I bought it from (KPJ) and he tells me that the system plays perfectly on all his monitors. So I get my system back from him and decide to change the cables. Still the same problem.

So I decide to get the RGB 2+ Upscan converter to connect it to my computer monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 191T 19" Flat Panel LCD). The picture is dark and whenever I perform either a special move (Garou, MOTW) or a counter attack & at the beginning of each round when the Japanese fonts (Engarde, Fight!) appear (SamSho5), the screen goes completely black (still with sound though) for a couple of seconds. I turn the FLASH to OFF in the options and still the same problem. Again my NeoGeo CDZ plays and looks great on my computer monitor via RGB. When I tried connecting the AES via S-video to the Upscan converter, the picture is totally f###ed up. I've sent the system back along with my upscan converter to KPJ and it works perfectly on his computer monitor.
Is the system defective? He told me that it has a low serial #. Does this have anything to do with the picutre quality? Why does the system work perfectly on his HDTV and computer monitor and not mine? I thought it was because I have LCD monitors, but that can't be the case since my NEO GEO CDZ works perfectly on both.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help. :confused:

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Man...that sucks, sorry to hear about the problems. Can you take your Neo to a friend’s house to test it? This would be the best way to determine if it really is a problem with the system or not. Concerning the low serial number, the older AES systems had poor composite video. Also there were several revisions made to the system board. Some revisions supposedly yield better results when modified with S-Video.

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try once I get my system back. KPJ is going to replace the motherboard. Hopefully it will do the trick. If it doesn't work then I'll probably invest in another system, but with a high serial #.