Kirk's thoughts on Animazement May 26-28

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, I got back safe and sound from the Animazement down in North Carolina.

I have to say, it was definitely a lot of fun and I had a good time just going crazy 300+ miles from home. With the way things are going lately (not all bad, just busy, and sometimes stressful), I really needed it. I almost never take vacations, so I take a little of what I can get to just unwind.

I got to do a bit of everything I wanted. I did what is probably one of the last performances of Chisana Shiawase, for the Karaoke competition and won a decent prize from it. Mainly for being the most unusual at show, but I did act it out this time (also played my bamboo flute in a part of it) and must've gotten half the convention sympathetic to my turmoil of having my french fries stolen. How many times people came up with either a compliment was overshadowed by the times people kept asking me if I either got my fries yet, or that they really want to buy me fries. Kind of strange. Because it became a true story. I did indeed leave a great order of tasty curly fries (and jalepeno poppers) (from Arby's) with my friends (in artist alley), that I specifically told them to watch. Well, I got back and found out they ate them all. Grrrrrr!!!!! I didn't get fries until we left the convention.

I got to play my flute also for cosplay. I did 'Voices' from Macross Pluss. Kind of fun, but it was more fun because it fits easily sticking out of my pocket (so I can carry it anywhere) and play tunes on the go. The volume of a good professionally crafted bamboo flute is perfect because I could play it literally everywhere outside of a video room and anybody nearby can hear it. I enjoyed playing along-side guitar hero as well, just to see people look surprised at someone playing 'rock' flute. :)

My gaming highlights were being able to hang in artist alley to try out a Doujin Shooter on the PC laptop. Neo Geo Battle Colleseum, with which I played whenever I was really free to play it. I had a lot of fun with it, but was floored when someone from Shoryuken.com came over and started beating all of us beginners like no tomorrow. Actually, what impressed me was his Marco (Metal slug), as I was just learning him. But he did stuff with Marco that is the stuff combo dreams are made of. I WANT TO LEARN THAT MARCO!!!!! So, it's my plea to Shoryuken.com to get a NGBC COMBO VIDEO OUT PRONTO!!!!

The other highlights was the saving grace of seeing 16-bit selling stuff in the dealers room. He single-handedly helped me land 2 games I've been looking for for years and years. His prices were extremely competitive against the higher costs I normally would've pay for them, online. So I got Shining Force 3 Scenario 2, and Sega Saturn Magical Drop 3 in one go. (No more shall I be taunted in the game room with Saturn Magical Drop 3 saying, "Don't you wish you have Me?!". And also, I picked up Sonic Wings Special, and what a gem that seems to be turning out to be. It's old school mixed with new school goodness. I picked it up expecting it to be old school shooter goodness, but what I found was a quality vertical scrolling shooter, with:
1. A large cast of different characters to play.
2. Lots of areas to fight.
3. Some kind of story with maybe 70 possible endings
4. A little shooting goodness for everybody employing bullet patterns and techniques from both the oldschool and newschool. Where you have the old school bullets (Fast but not too many of them), the carpet bullets (the new school many bullets but slower coming at you), and the ones inbetween the two that are more random and direct but can be shot down. They mix the trio so well in the game, that you can forgive that the animation quality is a bit oldschool.

Still, something about an Idol singer, who wears the top half of a pilot uniform over her Idol dress, in a ship that can momentarily stop time like Dio (THE WORLDO!), has wrong written all over it, but I love it. Nothing like expecting something decent, but getting a game that has great shooter written all over it.

Last edited:

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Your mad, good you had fun tho, prolly not my cup of tea id get psycholigically scared by the nerdship pressure.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, I guess I was mad. But I wanted to go all out. Actually, I guess I forgot to mention that the whole time I was pretty much dressed as a possessed fox spirit, with ears, 3 fox tails, and cat/fox like slit eyes, at the time. :)

However, that's how most of neo-geo.com is used to seeing me, so I don't know if they'd recognize me without it. :)

Sure, there were lots of interesting folk carrying mock weapons and sometimes real ones to their rooms, but my bamboo flute was MY weapon of choice. And unlike 90% of them folk, I know how to use it! :)

Signed,

Kirk Foiden (Neo-geo.com resident fox-boy). :)