ken @ thegameroom

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
So a year ago I bought a blast city from ken. I was delighted, it was in awesome shape. ( the marquee cover got cracked in shipping but that's the shipper's fault ).

earlier this year , as my childhood shmup fetish came back in full force, I bought a 2nd one for vertical games.

This unit, which Ken said was in real nice shape, was quite unlike the first one. burn-ins on the screen, big scuff mark on screen's anti glare coating, gettho homemade button loom, right speakers blown, CP plate rusted bad. It costed me the same as the last one, but this time, it came with no 001 loom ( had to pay 50$ extra ) and a 1L4B panel instead of a 2L12B panel.

so... did I just get lucky on the first one, or is Ken not providing high quality cabs anymore ?

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Did he not provide pics before you bought it?

I bought mine in a simalar condition. He shipped the marquee cover inside the cab at my request and also charged for a 001 loom. The cab was 950 not including shipping. I just chalked it off as a cab from japan that has seen many years of use. I cleaned it out and had to re do the control panel but I never got the run around from Ken. He was more than helpful with any issue I had during the process.

The only other option is Kingsley. From what I have read that guy is a nightmare.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Kingsley is not the only other option. There is Matsu you can buy Blast City from. But yes, Kingsley is a nightmare to deal with. Just check the group buy thread (do a search).

I bought mine in a simalar condition. He shipped the marquee cover inside the cab at my request and also charged for a 001 loom. The cab was 950 not including shipping. I just chalked it off as a cab from japan that has seen many years of use. I cleaned it out and had to re do the control panel but I never got the run around from Ken. He was more than helpful with any issue I had during the process.

The only other option is Kingsley. From what I have read that guy is a nightmare.

hedorah

New Challenger
+1 for Matsu. He will send you pics of the exact cab you will be receiving, and if you stipulate you don't want any burn in, or want great geometry, etc etc. He will find a cab that fits your needs and supply pictures to prove it. Better yet, if he does not have anything that fits your criteria he will be completely honest and tell you upfront.

jon713

Camel Slug
Heard good things on this Matsu, what's his contact information? I am looking into buying me a blast City as well. Oh and what's a "001 loom"? Sorry Japanese cab noob here...

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I'd love some contact info for Matsu as well. I'm thinking about getting some more cabs once I move to a new place thats not on the second floor.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Heard good things on this Matsu, what's his contact information? I am looking into buying me a blast City as well. Oh and what's a "001 loom"? Sorry Japanese cab noob here...

The 001 loom has RCA cables for audio (CPS2, 360, ect) and JVS leads added to the jamma loom.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Here is a picture of what the 001 loom looks like... minus the CPS-2 kick connector of course.

Blast-JAMMA-JVS.jpg

jon713

Camel Slug
The 001 loom has RCA cables for audio (CPS2, 360, ect) and JVS leads added to the jamma loom.

Thanks Red!

Here is a picture of what the 001 loom looks like... minus the CPS-2 kick connector of course.

Blast-JAMMA-JVS.jpg

Visuals are always nice, Thanks 300!

Well I have been deciding who to go with. I emailed Matsu first and requested a Blast City and a MVS-U4-33. He's currently in Japan but sent me a message saying that he only had BlastCity's in stock. All together would be 1000 for the cab and $350 - $450 for shipping alone. I'm in Houston Tx so I think it would be $450. Now does this seem crazy?

I haven't emailed Ken yet, but wanted to tonight. Been lurking around the forum reading old posts on people buying these things. I read about the black gook on the monitor which I am still not sure what that is or what it can cause, also burn ins but im fine if it doesn't effect game play. I hear Matsu is great but expensive, he cleans all his cabs and sends them in great condition. Now I hear things about Ken, that he gives detailed photos of what he sends you and he's an honest guy but its more of what you see is what you get kinda thing.

To far for me to make a road trip so shipping is my only option. Matsu said that his delivery service delivers straight to your house but won't deliver upstairs (2 story buildings apt) etc. I wonder how much it will be to ship from Utah to Houston Tx?

I am going to email Ken and see what he tells me.

oh and cant find shit on craigslist here in houston, I only find $1500 pacman cabs o_0

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
I think from Utah to Dallas the grand total from ken was 1250. I don't see it being that much more to go to Houston.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
If Matsu is now selling Blast City for $1000, that is lower than what he used to sell them before. But Matsu does clean out his cabs before he sells them. Ken does not.
I just had a guy out in Michigan ship a cab to him from me (here in California for $469). So depending on who you use to ship, I don't think it will cost $450 to ship it to you in Texas. Also, the shipping cost that Ken gives you... if you want to delivered to your house, then there is an added charge since a truck with a lift gate is needed.

As for the "black goop of death" it is when the 750 A1 coil leaks this black stuff that could end up shorting out something. I have 2 chassis with it and once dried, the black goop didn't do much other than make the chassis look dirty and ugly. But if the chassis is on when it starts leaking, there is a chance it might short something. This black goop seems to affect 2931 chassis (auto sync) a lot more often than the older 2930 chassis (no auto sync).

Make sure when you buy the cab from either Ken or Matsu, ask if the cab comes with the 001 and a 2 player, 6 button panel. I believe the last time I talked to Ken, he told me he only had 1 player, 6 button panel. If you need to those things, it's just added expense.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Red!

Visuals are always nice, Thanks 300!

Well I have been deciding who to go with. I emailed Matsu first and requested a Blast City and a MVS-U4-33. He's currently in Japan but sent me a message saying that he only had BlastCity's in stock. All together would be 1000 for the cab and $350 - $450 for shipping alone. I'm in Houston Tx so I think it would be $450. Now does this seem crazy?

I haven't emailed Ken yet, but wanted to tonight. Been lurking around the forum reading old posts on people buying these things. I read about the black gook on the monitor which I am still not sure what that is or what it can cause, also burn ins but im fine if it doesn't effect game play. I hear Matsu is great but expensive, he cleans all his cabs and sends them in great condition. Now I hear things about Ken, that he gives detailed photos of what he sends you and he's an honest guy but its more of what you see is what you get kinda thing.

To far for me to make a road trip so shipping is my only option. Matsu said that his delivery service delivers straight to your house but won't deliver upstairs (2 story buildings apt) etc. I wonder how much it will be to ship from Utah to Houston Tx?

I am going to email Ken and see what he tells me.

oh and cant find shit on craigslist here in houston, I only find $1500 pacman cabs o_0

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Only 50$ extra for a clean cab is worth it, I bought 2 from ken, and just cleaning the control panel assembly takes a few hours... a full cleanup would take at least a day.

I would recommend an 001 loom, simply because you can hook up anything to your cab once you have it.

Just make you inquire about the following
- monitor burn-ins , scratches
- speaker condition.
- control panel configuration , 2L12B , 2L8B, 1L4B , etc ( L = lever / joysticks , B = button , in other words, SF2 uses a 2L12B layout )
- in case you want a 2L12B or 1L6B config, ask about the extra button loom. ( http://www.giz10p.co.uk/Cabinet-Parts/Wiring/Sega-6-Button-Loom-600-6227-10-/prod_85.html )
- make sure that the marquee cover gets shipped inside the cabinet, otherwise they will get cracked and are almost impossible to find.

that 450$ shipping quote probably included delivery to your door step, you can save about 150$ if you go pick it up at the local shipper's terminal, just find a friend with a pick up truck and buy him a case of beer for his trouble :)

good luck :dragf:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member

yes. but I could not see the burn in or other issues from the picture. I just assumed it would in the same condition as the last one unless told otherwsie.

jon713

Camel Slug
I think from Utah to Dallas the grand total from ken was 1250. I don't see it being that much more to go to Houston.

That sounds like a good price for a blast. Ken got back with me and let me know of the shipping charge and the extra for the residential delivery. But he didn't specify the price for the Blast.

When I emailed I also asked if he had a MVS U4-33, before knowing of the different sizes etc. He sent me a pic of a MVS 29 that he has in stock. Now don't know if this is the actual cab because of what I've read about his picture taking, but it seems sweet. I also want this cab in my collection. Heres the pic:
2u8faxz.jpg

He didn't provide me a price for this, so how much would this cab be? Looking at the older threads on this cab I saw the difference in sizes in all 3 versions, the MVS29 is kinda like the mid size version huh?

If Matsu is now selling Blast City for $1000, that is lower than what he used to sell them before. But Matsu does clean out his cabs before he sells them. Ken does not.
I just had a guy out in Michigan ship a cab to him from me (here in California for $469). So depending on who you use to ship, I don't think it will cost $450 to ship it to you in Texas. Also, the shipping cost that Ken gives you... if you want to delivered to your house, then there is an added charge since a truck with a lift gate is needed.

As for the "black goop of death" it is when the 750 A1 coil leaks this black stuff that could end up shorting out something. I have 2 chassis with it and once dried, the black goop didn't do much other than make the chassis look dirty and ugly. But if the chassis is on when it starts leaking, there is a chance it might short something. This black goop seems to affect 2931 chassis (auto sync) a lot more often than the older 2930 chassis (no auto sync).

Make sure when you buy the cab from either Ken or Matsu, ask if the cab comes with the 001 and a 2 player, 6 button panel. I believe the last time I talked to Ken, he told me he only had 1 player, 6 button panel. If you need to those things, it's just added expense.

Hope that helps.

Yes this helps alot!
Ken got back with me and said that he just got a shipment of BC:http://www.thegameroom.com/ebay/blastcity29r.jpg
All are around this condition he said with different control panels, so he didn't specify if he actually had a 2L 12B setup. I'm kinda leaning towards Matsu for a BC if he can get me a clean cab with this CP setup. I am going to give Ken a call during the week, might just do the MVS candy from ken and the BC from matsu. Still not sure.

Only 50$ extra for a clean cab is worth it, I bought 2 from ken, and just cleaning the control panel assembly takes a few hours... a full cleanup would take at least a day.

I would recommend an 001 loom, simply because you can hook up anything to your cab once you have it.

Just make you inquire about the following
- monitor burn-ins , scratches
- speaker condition.
- control panel configuration , 2L12B , 2L8B, 1L4B , etc ( L = lever / joysticks , B = button , in other words, SF2 uses a 2L12B layout )
- in case you want a 2L12B or 1L6B config, ask about the extra button loom. ( http://www.giz10p.co.uk/Cabinet-Parts/Wiring/Sega-6-Button-Loom-600-6227-10-/prod_85.html )
- make sure that the marquee cover gets shipped inside the cabinet, otherwise they will get cracked and are almost impossible to find.

that 450$ shipping quote probably included delivery to your door step, you can save about 150$ if you go pick it up at the local shipper's terminal, just find a friend with a pick up truck and buy him a case of beer for his trouble :)

good luck :dragf:

Hey this is a great check list thanks for this.
Yea good idea about the marquee holder, now I was looking at the BlastCity thread and saw some people's marquee graphics would ya happen to know where to get some high quality graphics for this type of marquee?

l2yan00

Quiz Detective
kens the best man... i got my pony 4 from him and couldnt be happier. no burn in and nice condition. he even called me months later and told me he found me a pony 4 marquee holder and shipped it to me for nearly nothing along with a speaker replacement... kens the best around!

SSS

neo retired
I got the king of all Neo candies from Ken. No complaints. For pricing, I believe my MVU 33 was 800 plus shipping.

Last edited:

jon713

Camel Slug
kens the best man... i got my pony 4 from him and couldnt be happier. no burn in and nice condition. he even called me months later and told me he found me a pony 4 marquee holder and shipped it to me for nearly nothing along with a speaker replacement... kens the best around!

Going to call Ken later on this week, been busy with the new job.......But defiantly going with Ken for the MVS29.

I got the king of all Neo candies from Ken. No complaints. For pricing, I believe my MVU 33 was 800 plus shipping.

800 you say? Ya think the MVS29 would be cheaper? The MVU25 on his site goes for $400.

SSS

neo retired
Going to call Ken later on this week, been busy with the new job.......But defiantly going with Ken for the MVS29.

800 you say? Ya think the MVS29 would be cheaper? The MVU25 on his site goes for $400.

I'd assume maybe in the 6-700 dollar range. Similar to Neo 29s and Super Neo 29s.

jon713

Camel Slug
Can't decide???

I was looking at Ken's Ebay page and noticed that he had a neo25 with a 7button control panel on each side. I gave him a call and asked about it, he said he would sell it to me for $650 + $250 shipping to Houston TX. I told him if I could give him a deposit for him to hold it for me and that I would pay him at the end of the month. He agreed so its currently on hold for me. I thought the cab looked very clean and the 7 button layout really sold me, here is a pic:
f1ccua.jpg

Now doing some research on the forums I saw that this is a smaller cab, than the one he proposed to me the first time, which was the neo29. (with metal CP) I really like the way this one looks. My question is which one would ya (the neogeo members) pick? Does anybody know the pros and cons of each? Is the neo25 alot smaller than the neo29?

My only concern is the CP of the neo25 being so close to each other. Is there enough space for two people to play comfortably on each side? Any info would be appreciated. Im leaning more towards the neo25 but I still want to know what ya think.
2u8faxz.jpg

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I was looking at Ken's Ebay page and noticed that he had a neo25 with a 7button control panel on each side. I gave him a call and asked about it, he said he would sell it to me for $650 + $250 shipping to Houston TX. I told him if I could give him a deposit for him to hold it for me and that I would pay him at the end of the month. He agreed so its currently on hold for me. I thought the cab looked very clean and the 7 button layout really sold me, here is a pic:
f1ccua.jpg

Now doing some research on the forums I saw that this is a smaller cab, than the one he proposed to me the first time, which was the neo29. (with metal CP) I really like the way this one looks. My question is which one would ya (the neogeo members) pick? Does anybody know the pros and cons of each? Is the neo25 alot smaller than the neo29?

My only concern is the CP of the neo25 being so close to each other. Is there enough space for two people to play comfortably on each side? Any info would be appreciated. Im leaning more towards the neo25 but I still want to know what ya think.
2u8faxz.jpg

The Neo 25 can be rotated in the event you want to use the machine for jamma boards that require a vertical screen. Both would need a slight rewire or an adapter to go regular jamma as these are wired for jamma+. The bottom machine's monitor won't allow monitor rotation. I've had the 25 in. version of the machine below and they work just fine for 2 player matches. The only machines that may be a little uncomfortable for 2 players would be the Neo 19 and Capcom Minicute.

Both posted above are great machines. I personally like the style of the MVS-U on the bottom with the chrome/metal CP. If you're keeping it for straight Neo gaming, I'd pick the bottom. If you want to expand on other platforms such as CPS2, pick the Neo 25 on top.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I am differently gonna have to keep both these guys in mind. I am still a candy noob so does the Blast City still have a JAMMA harness? How hard and expensive is it to find a Capcom Mini Cute? I would love to get a list going of the different Candy Cabs and what your options would be. What Candy Cabs have rotatable monitors. I am pretty sure the New Astro City and the Mini Cute can go vertical, there are the two Candy Cabs I want the most.

SSS

neo retired
Mini cutes can be rotated vertical. They are highly desirable cabs, as such they aren't cheap. Figure 800-1200 for a mini cute depending in condition. I can't see selling my pair anytime in the immediate future. Neo 19 while similar, are probably more rare. Screen can't be rotated and the cabinet is fairly fragile. Mainly the control panel and hood. Worth getting if you're a diehard Neo fan.