January SOTM: Cho Ren Sha 68K

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
axtPtCg.png

Get the game here: http://www2.tky.3web.ne.jp/~yosshin/my_works/download.html
A zip file containing everything you should need to emulate the 68000 version is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/erctfzztm5ei33x/X68000.zip?dl=0

It is playable on Windows (and in WINE) and also the X68K should you have one or wish to emulate it.

There is a speed difference between the Windows version and the 68K version. Make extra sure to be specific if you're playing the Windows or emulated versions. Use Windows Ver. 2005/08/20 unless someone can give us a reason not to. Rank setting will be Normal.

Please submit using the following format:
Name - Score - Stage - Platform - Autofire

For example:
ebinsugewa - 10,000,000 - 2-5 - Windows - Yes

Windows Scoreboard
-------------------------------------------
1) Kidpanda - 4,298,788 - 2-0 - ?
2) Beelzebub - 2,779,583 - 1-6 - No
3) ebinsugewa - 1,549,472 - 1-4 - No
4) Grendelrt - 1,090,178 - 1-3 - No

X68000 Scoreboard
1) ebinsugewa - 2,969,773 - 1-6 - Yes
2) jtucci31 - 2,059,721 - 1-5 - ?

rahCGtJ.jpg

As an added bonus, there will be a side scoreboard for the 2 minute caravan mode of Soldier Blade for the PCE/TG16.

-------------------------------
1) ebinsugewa 542,500
-------------------------------

Let's rock!

Last edited:

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Am I doing this wrong? I downloaded the file, but see no executable to run it. I'm running Windows Vista if that helps.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Should be a zip file containing a folder which in turn contains a file called latest.exe. Did you download the .2HD (X68000) hard drive image instead?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I will try to connect the PC to the cab for some action.

Is there any in-game option for TATE? Or is this intended for YOKO play?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Ok, i just tried it (in YOKO of course,lol) BUT i can't use my xbox 360 pad hack. Everything works except the ship movement.

Any ideas?

I hope i won't have to miss another SOTM, this is why i voted for Crimzon Clover :crying:

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Ok, i just tried it (in YOKO of course,lol) BUT i can't use my xbox 360 pad hack. Everything works except the ship movement.

Any ideas?

I hope i won't have to miss another SOTM, this is why i voted for Crimzon Clover :crying:

Try Xpadder. Works great. You can assign each button for individual keys. I actually had to use it to use the x68k emulator because joysticks wouldn't work.

And for what it's worth, Crimson Clover doesn't work on MY setup for some reason.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Yeah Xpadder comes in handy for older games like this. Let me know if anyone needs help setting it up. I don't think there's any way to tate it outside of some external program fuckery.

Last edited:

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Beelzebub - 1,365,169 - Stage 1-4 - PC - No Auto

Score - 1,365,169 - Stage 4.png

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
chorensha.jpg

andsuchisdeath - 2,544,352 - 2-2 - X68K [EMU] - No

I'm not sure what's up with the version I'm playing. Stage 6 is labeled as "showtime" in the game. After clearing the first loop, I'm brought to stage 1 as opposed to the "stage 0" which seems to be present in every score table and video I've looked at. I was under the impression that the PC version (which seems to be standard?) was identical to the 68K game. I don't know.

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Awesome little game,looks great on the Blast. Tip for those on multi cores and windows, if you set the game to use one processor core using the set affinity in task manager it will fix the sound stuttering. How do you turn on auto fire btw?

1) Grendelrt - 1,090,178 - Stage 1-3 - PC - No Auto

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
As for the differences between the two versions, I have to plead ignorance. Might be a better question for shmupsforum. I'll leave the scores together unless we learn of any differences.

Ironic for a game called Cho Ren Sha (Super Autofire) there is no in-game autofire that I'm aware of. You'd have to enable it with an external program or with an autofire PCB on the Blast itself. I've also had luck with setting the compatibility mode to Win 95 to eliminate the audio stutter, but your mileage may vary. If you're having the audio stutter emulating it will fix that - I've had good results with WinX68KHighSpeed personally.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
As for the differences between the two versions, I have to plead ignorance. Might be a better question for shmupsforum. I'll leave the scores together unless we learn of any differences.

Alright, there are some differences between the PC and X68K versions. The PC version is slightly harder due to running about 10% faster than the 68K version. I guess the pixels are different too. Square vs. 68K shape?

As far as what's wrong with the ghetto version I'm playing on a modded xbox.. I can't find any info. This version doesn't even have end of stage bonuses. I've seen videos of the X68K version…they have the bonuses. "Showtime" is supposedly a special stage accessed through a hidden options menu. A menu that I'm unable to access. No stage 0..

If any other members submit a X68K score, it should be on a separate table. My Cho Ren Sha Super Secret Mystery version score should be removed all together.

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
If any other members submit a X68K score, it should be on a separate table. My Cho Ren Sha Super Secret Mystery version score should be removed all together.

Weird, I've definitely never encountered the things you mentioned. Will separate the scores with the info you've provided.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Beelzebub - 2,779,583 - Stage 1-6 - PC - No Auto

Beelzebub - 2,779,683 - Stage 1-6 - PC - No Auto.png

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
hqJw2qG.png

I've always really enjoyed this game, but these last few playthroughs have really reminded me how extremely well designed it is. There's something there mechanically for every skill level. Bosses with fast but easily dodge/learnable patterns. Great music. Visuals can be a little drab, but it's a hell of a game for a doujin.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I tried the Xpadder and it works. But i have that lousy sound problem. I then tried to run it in compatibility mode, seem to resolve the sound problem BUT the controls don't work again :scratch:

Seems that no matter what kind of compatibilty mode i choose the controls stop working, i have to run it in normal mode.

Anyway, for the couple minutes i've played it i guess it isn't worth all the trouble. Guess i will have to skip this month again.

Have fun.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I tried the Xpadder and it works. But i have that lousy sound problem. I then tried to run it in compatibility mode, seem to resolve the sound problem BUT the controls don't work again :scratch:

Seems that no matter what kind of compatibilty mode i choose the controls stop working, i have to run it in normal mode.

Anyway, for the couple minutes i've played it i guess it isn't worth all the trouble. Guess i will have to skip this month again.

Have fun.

what "sound problem" are you having? Does the sound seem to "stutter"?

There's a freeware program called "RunFirst" that I got that makes the game run normally in Win7.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
what "sound problem" are you having? Does the sound seem to "stutter"?

There's a freeware program called "RunFirst" that I got that makes the game run normally in Win7.

Yes i'm running it on Windows 7. As i said before, i wasn't impressed with the game, but will try that just for the sake of it.
Thanks for the hint.

jtucci31

n00b
This game is great. It was one of the first games I played when I got my XVI a few months back. I fired it up today after not having played it in awhile and did the best I've done. Made it midway through stage 5. My score was:

jtucci31 - 2,059,721 - 1-5 - x68k - NO

Picturing incoming soon (that or a better score!)

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Yes i'm running it on Windows 7. As i said before, i wasn't impressed with the game, but will try that just for the sake of it.
Thanks for the hint.

I just put RunFirst in the same directory as the game and dragged and dropped the ChoRenSha .exe over to it.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
i wasn't impressed with the game, but will try that just for the sake of it.

It's worth it, I promise. Try emulating the X68000 version instead using this zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/erctfzztm5ei33x/X68000.zip?dl=0

It should be all set up for you to use the keyboard arrow keys and Z/X, which you can then map with Joy2key if you want since you already have it. The emulator does autorecognize joysticks as well, but you might have to reassign some buttons. To load the game select the .2HD file from the FDD0 menu. You may see some text that looks like errors, but give it a second and it should reboot and find the image.

Anyone who tries this let me know if you have any issues please.

Last edited:

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
It's worth it, I promise. Try emulating the X68000 version instead using this zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/erctfzztm5ei33x/X68000.zip?dl=0

It should be all set up for you to use the keyboard arrow keys and Z/X, which you can then map with Joy2key if you want since you already have it. The emulator does autorecognize joysticks as well, but you might have to reassign some buttons. To load the game select the .2HD file from the FDD0 menu. You may see some text that looks like errors, but give it a second and it should reboot and find the image.

Anyone who tries this let me know if you have any issues please.

I was able to get the Windows version working, but this emulator set-up was much better for me. I don't have a regular joystick since I don't usually play PC games. I use a PSone arcade stick with a USB PlayStation controller converter box. The emulator picked it right up and I was able to finally get some play in.