Jammed SNES Cart Slot?

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
I recently sold a used SNES system on eBay and now the recipient is now claiming the system's cartridge slot is "jammed" and that they can't insert game. Their descriptoin of the problem was no more thorough than that, unfortunately. I tested this system with multiple cartridges prior to mailing it out and find this complaint odd, to say the least.

Is this a problem that may have happend due to the item being excessively jostled while in shipping (for the record, it was packed in a well-cushioned, oversized box)? What little searching I've done about this potential problem has turned up no information.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Never - the SNES was built strong.

Buyer scam

DolphinLord Note: -I accientally edited this while trying to reply. Having a rough day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Rade Kuruc said:
Never - the SNES was built strong.

Buyer scam

I'm leaning towards this explanation. At any rate, a refund will NOT be given until the system has been return shipped and evaluated by me.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Heh, it doesn't even make sense considering how the system works.

Unless they're trying to push a super fami game in there...

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
DolphinLord said:
I'm leaning towards this explanation. At any rate, a refund will NOT be given until the system has been return shipped and evaluated by me.

I am leaning with Rade. I have yet to see a SNES system have this type of problem. Get it back and throughly examine it. Any company would do the same before a refund is given. Chances are, if he is scamming you, he will make up an excuse and let the issue die.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
lol @ jammed cart slot. The dumbass is probably trying to put a NES game in.

I've owned atleast 20 SNES systems and never had this problem. Howver if the power is turned on there is a little clip that holds the game in place. You can not insert a cartridge when the power is turned on. Chances are all he has to do is turn the power off. Hope this helps.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Another vote for calling bullshit on this. I've never even heard of that problem with an SNES.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Sounds like BS.

Has feedback been left for you or the buyer. It would suck to have good feedback screwed up by a scammer.

Make sure they are using SNES carts and not NES or Super Famicom....yeah people are stupid. Also have them make sure the power is switched off before trying to insert a game.

Good luck.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
I have seen this happen when the eject lever gets stuck or breaks, the carts won't insert.

But you have to beat the hell out of it in order to accomplish that.

N80G80

Igniz's Servent
I think if the power position is on, when they try to insert a cart it wont allow it as well.....In my humble internet experiences most people are complete retards.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
68k said:
I have seen this happen when the eject lever gets stuck or breaks, the carts won't insert.

But you have to beat the hell out of it in order to accomplish that.
No....you'd have to beat the living fuck out of it.

DolphinLord, you might want to also ask about the condition of the box used to ship the system...maybe some pictures if they will/can send them to you.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Quick,rush post reply.

phoenixgamers said:
I've owned atleast 20 SNES systems and never had this problem. Howver if the power is turned on there is a little clip that holds the game in place. You can not insert a cartridge when the power is turned on. Chances are all he has to do is turn the power off. Hope this helps.

yea ..that's right...
Some SNES when the power switch is in the on-up position the door will not open(as if it was locked-jammed)

I bet that buyers got the power switch on and can't get the door open..

I've sold hundreds of SNES systems on and off Ebay..it's one of the main things I sell and I've never come accross a jammed-can't insert game SNES system.

but I have ran into-it being extremely hard to get a game into and out of the connections of a system because the carts connectors were very dirty and corroded...(garage sale buy)
Not sure if it's possible but..I wonder if someone put in an SNES cart or other type game with real dirty connectors could it bend a pin down in the SNES.

I'd bet they put in the wrong game as said already.

The last and only problem that I ran into with an Ebay SNES sale after a YEAR was that the controller ports(as said by buyer) stopped detecting controllers.
Buyer told me like a year later that they wanted me to fix it..at my cost..

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
chris1 said:
yea ..that's right...
Some SNES when the power switch is in the on-up position the door will not open(as if it was locked-jammed)

I bet that buyers got the power switch on and can't get the door open...

This is exactly what the problem was. However, my troubles with the buyer haven't yet ended. Once the buyer figured out that they were trying to insert a cartridge with the power turned on, they then sent the following message regarding their A/V connection:

You were right about the on/off switch being on. I can't figure out how to set this thing up anyway. I haven't done this in probably 10 years. I can set up the wires (same color cord with the place to insert it I assume), but the games won't show up or make sounds. What channel is the tv supposed to be set on?

And once he figured out how to surmount the aformentioned vexing problem, he hit me with this message:

I am having problems with the SNES system. I got it to play 3 of my games. But it only plays them some of the time. I have to keep resetting the game until it plays it. Even after I do that, if I bump the system, it stops the game & goes to the black screen that I started with. I don't know what is wrong with the system, but I think I might need to send it back. Let me know what you think.

I have now told the buyer to thoroughly clean all of their cartridges, as the contacts are probably dirty. It's either that or they're suffering from buyer's remorse and are just fishing for any excuse to get a refund. Oh, the joys of eBay...

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
DolphinLord said:
This is exactly what the problem was. However, my troubles with the buyer haven't yet ended. Once the buyer figured out that they were trying to insert a cartridge with the power turned on, they then sent the following message regarding their A/V connection:

You were right about the on/off switch being on. I can't figure out how to set this thing up anyway. I haven't done this in probably 10 years. I can set up the wires (same color cord with the place to insert it I assume), but the games won't show up or make sounds. What channel is the tv supposed to be set on?

And once he figured out how to surmount the aformentioned vexing problem, he hit me with this message:

I am having problems with the SNES system. I got it to play 3 of my games. But it only plays them some of the time. I have to keep resetting the game until it plays it. Even after I do that, if I bump the system, it stops the game & goes to the black screen that I started with. I don't know what is wrong with the system, but I think I might need to send it back. Let me know what you think.

I have now told the buyer to thoroughly clean all of their cartridges, as the contacts are probably dirty. It's either that or they're suffering from buyer's remorse and are just fishing for any excuse to get a refund. Oh, the joys of eBay...

This guy is obviously a moron. In my experience, most cartridge games won't work the first time you put them in. The Neo is probably the best, but even that you have to reset, take it out, clean it, etc. I guess you could just get it back and try to sell it to a more competent person.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Weevus said:
This guy is obviously a moron. In my experience, most cartridge games won't work the first time you put them in. The Neo is probably the best, but even that you have to reset, take it out, clean it, etc. I guess you could just get it back and try to sell it to a more competent person.

My guess is that's how this situation will have to play out. I sell a fairly large volume of stuff on eBay and every once in a while I run into an implacable and moronic buyer. I guess this is just another one of those instances.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
DolphinLord said:

I've ran into the same not being able to hook up the systems to the TV buyers..
Usually I include a typed out already instruction email on how to do it with shipping info after I ship a package.

I also note to test the system with games I included as I open them and clean them via the security bits...and to not insert another game unless it's contacts have been cleaned.
I give them some cleaning methods info and a link to the security bit.

Still though..
To be honest: the most pain in the ass thing about selling NES and SNES systems on ebay is due to the above...
My stuff always works..I test the shit out of the systems I sell...I just can't stop someone from putting in dirty carts they get on Ebay........... nor can I fly out to their house to hook the systems up fo them..

I've went so far to make a video of how to hook it up for them..

Ohh...and I do offer to sell them other games that I open and clean if they are looking.(to try and thwart the putting in dirty cart problem)

But,they'll give me a list of the hardest to get,rarest SNES or NES games that they are looking for..... wanting them for $2-3 each....WTF!!

Last edited:

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
N80G80 said:
I think if the power position is on, when they try to insert a cart it wont allow it as well.....In my humble internet experiences most people are complete retards.

My thoughts exactly, but in any case the buyer would has to be pretty dumb, if he or she can't place a cart inside a super nintendo. Hold on until inspection.