It's Been a Long Time....Getting Back Into MVS and Cabinet Collecting

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Hello all....

I have been gone a long time and my wife and I want to get back into the MVS and CPS2 scene. So far we have been collecting a few Neo titles for the Neo Geo Pocket and a few CPS2 boards.....but we have some questions regarding places to get stuff, advice and ideas....

We have a 4 slot MVS board inside a Mini Neo 19 and we want to get 1 King of Fighters Game. Which is the best and most balanced?

We also have a Capcom Impress 29 inch Cabinet and we noticed that its starting to turn yellow on the back plastic(the real thick plastic in the back) We are not smokers so we have no idea what the heck is causing it. Have you guys seen this happen before and if so how do you stop it from becoming yellowish like this?

Can you guys recommend some reputable sellers?? The last guy we dealt with was an older gentleman who had some prototype home system that could play MVS carts but that was YEARS ago. There was also a guy on ebay based out of NY who would always sell carts at good prices but we lost his ebay id. Anyways, if you can recommend some good online retailers for MVS(Ebay sellers too) we'd appreciate it. Lately we have been restoring our Neo Geo Mini and our Capcom Imress with new parts from HimuraGames.com and the sticks and buttons have given our cabs a new lease on life....they play like new now :D

We are also in the market for a CAPCOM MINI CUTE 19 Japanese Cabinet but we haven't had any luck finding one. We can't even contact Arcade Infinity via email or phone. Does anyone here have one they wanna sell or does anyone know who I can contact to purchase one??

And lastly....what is the state of the whole Neo Geo scene?? Is it dying? Is it thriving?? I saw that Capcom VS SNK 2 was out for a while so that gave me some hope that the scene was still in good shape....

Anyways, here are some pics of our setup... its good to be back. We really missed the Neo world :multi_co:

Our Mini Neo 19 with new Sanwa sticks and buttons...
986Picture_127-med.jpg

986Picture_101-med.jpg

Our fullsize SF2 Cabinet(We're Restoring It, Then Selling It)
986cars_044-med.jpg

Room full of Toys n Game Junk
986Picture_024-med.jpg

Some of Our Pac Man Stuff
1591595-R1-012-4A.jpg

Another Pic of Our Impress
1591595-R1-010-3A.jpg

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
holy shit registered sept 2000 and i've never seen you post. nice cabs btw.

btw the neo scene is dead basically, the market is dry and prices are still high. most people have sold their shit for a modded xbox and teh romz.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Very nice.

If you every have kids, they are definitely gonna be the coolest kids on the block.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
yeah, I been away for a while. Now that we have most of our debts taken care of we wanna catch up on some of the goods we been missing out on.

We sold a lot of 6-7 Japanese Neo Carts on ebay a long time ago and we haven't gotten anything since.

The only MVS games we have right now are...

Super Dodge Ball(Still can't beat this game...but its funny and quirky)
Samurai Shodown 2(We love this game....I play Hanzo and my wife is becoming deadly with Galford)

Garou Mark Of The Wolves(Beautiful Game, but neither of us are very good at it)
Bust a Move(Puzzle Bobble) - My wife kicks my ass at this game.

We went to a local arcade and we saw a Neo Cab with several Metal Slug titles ...all looked great. We definitely wanna grab one of those but not sure which one to get.

We have a modded Xbox with Mame but we don't use it to run our CPS 2 and Neo games on there. It just isnt the same for some reason.....we use it for mostly classics like Pac Man, Double Dragon, Galaga, Bad Dudes, Shinobi....etc.

Anyone have any serious problems with their Neo MVS boards? We have had ours for a long time and still no problems.....

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Welcome back...

Awesome stuff...I love the Mini Neo 19 ..I've actually never seen a person next to one in a picture to get an idea of the size of it......(thanks..

I've had no problems with any of my MVS mobos....(knock on wood)

I figure the New York MVS cart seller you mentioned is:
Member Shiftyfink (aka Gamesbyruss)on Ebay

Somebody on this site was selling a CAPCOM MINI CUTE Japanese Cabinet recently..

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113928&highlight=CAPCOM+MINI+CUTE

Or could that of been...Bigp0ppaLarge
Neo-Geo Forums - Show them if you got them "Candy Cabs"
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110616

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
jsjesse said:
We have a 4 slot MVS board inside a Mini Neo 19 and we want to get 1 King of Fighters Game. Which is the best and most balanced?
KOF 98 Btw nice cabs you got there wb ;)

fatal fury fan #2

Duck King's DJ
hey nice cabs just asking where did you pick them up in houston and where in houston do you live in?????

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Cool cabs man, is that a rom box r Nintendo VS PCB running Mario 3 in the Capcom cab??

Robert

20 Year Member
Wow, that's what I call a come back.

Welcome back!

Now for your MVS cab, I find the button configuration a little ... Strange.
Perhaps once you get used to it, it's fine but I'd rather go for the in-line layout.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Good stuff. I love any man whom also owns an Impress. Original button and joystick color scheme too, damn nice.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
fatal fury fan #2 said:
hey nice cabs just asking where did you pick them up in houston and where in houston do you live in?????

Well, originally I bought 3 candy cabs. And 2 of them were very bad experiences.

1st one was a capcom impress. The unit came smashed and the freight company gave me some BS excuse as to why they couldn't give me the money for it. But it worked and I kept it for about 6 months. I then sold it to a friend who didnt mind the body/frame damage for $300 with a CPS2 board.

Then I bought a Super Neo 29. This one too came smashed from the top where the speakers were at. The same crap happened. I made a claim, claim was denied. I got screwed with this cabinet. It worked but it was broken at the same time. I sold it to Christopher Wong, owner of The Stargate Arcade in Houston.

By this time I was fed up, but then I saw a mini neo 19 on ebay for $250 from arcade infinity. I did a BUY IT NOW option on it and emailed Jeff and told him that I would only send the money IF he crates it up and packages it correctly. This plastic wrap tie strap routine wasnt going to cut it. So he agreed and for once I got a cabinet in perfect condition.

Then a buddy of mine bought an Impress from Jeff and had it crated too and he got his in perfect condition too.....boy was I pissed and jealous because I loved the impress. After about a year he said he would sell it to me since he hardly played on it. I bought it for $400.

A few months ago Chris Wong was selling ALL of his arcade units and even posted up most of them for sale on some arcade trader forums and newsgroups. He did sell some of them(including some Candy Cabs). As of now I dont know if he is selling them anymore. The Stargate closed down due to poor profits but he reopened it in a warehouse where the rent is cheaper and its only open on weekends. Only the hardcore go there now with Marvel vs Capcom, Super SF2 Turbo, Tekken 5 and SF3 Third Strike being the main comp games.

So as you can see I have been through hell trying to acquire some nice games. I took a loss on some and gained on some. I swear, the money and things we do for our gaming fix :smirk:

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Baseley09 said:
Cool cabs man, is that a rom box r Nintendo VS PCB running Mario 3 in the Capcom cab??

Actually its a custom Console to Jamma Converter. I paid someone to make it for me. I can hook up DC, PS/PS2 and Xbox to my cabinet. I can still use the Jamma interface for the joystick, Start and 3 buttons just as if it were a real jamma board and he made quick disconnects for the extra buttons(kicks) and select. Here is a pic of it.

Running SF3 Third Strike on DC
1591595-R1-008-2A.jpg

The inside....the unit can run either mono or stereo if I have an external amp.
8923985-R1-016-6A.jpg

The unit has PS2 controller inputs so I use DC to PS2 adapters and Xbox to PS2 Adapters if I wanna play DC or Xbox....then I can just customize the buttons in the options menu of a game.
8923985-R1-018-7A.jpg

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Robert said:
Wow, that's what I call a come back.

Welcome back!

Now for your MVS cab, I find the button configuration a little ... Strange.
Perhaps once you get used to it, it's fine but I'd rather go for the in-line layout.

The buttons layout is a bit weird but to be honest it's very easy to get used to. I thought about changing it up and making my own layout(its just a thin metal plate that has to be made) but I thought it would be best to restore it and keep it stock. I am VERY surprised at how bright and detailed the small monitor is on this thing.

Do all Japanese cabs come with a serial number on the outside like the mini neo does?? I found it kinda odd when I saw it...
986050405112640-med.JPG

Here is the inside of it....
986050405112704-med.JPG

I want to try and mount some real sanwa sticks in the mini neo but it doesnt have any mounting points for them. The sticks that are in there are ok but not ideal for fighting games.
986050405112926-med.JPG

Here is some of my other custom hobbies I do(joystick modification)
986Picture_123-med.jpg

986Picture_105-med.jpg

986Picture_121-med.jpg

986Picture_112-med.jpg

NeoSpastika

New Challenger
Nice stuff there. Just curious about the JAMMA converter cuz I am looking for them also. They have them at Cosmicco so I'm curious how much did it cost you to have them made.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH! I thought the SFAC stick was supposed to be a total bitch to mod??? How did you do it?

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
are you the same guy as Jumpsuit Jesse on srk? if so, we need to play more on live. i enjoyed being humiliated in hyper fighting, you were very polite and helpful with criticisms on my game and stick setup. (i think i remember discussing input lag on the sf anniversary sticks with you).

anyways, great setups you have there. steer clear of kof and start looking for samurai shodown zero special, that's what we need more good players to learn ;)

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
NeoSpastika said:
Nice stuff there. Just curious about the JAMMA converter cuz I am looking for them also. They have them at Cosmicco so I'm curious how much did it cost you to have them made.

The Jamma converter ran me about $200 plus shipping. I bought one from Lik Sang a long time ago and it was CRAP!

This one was custom made for my needs.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
pixeljunkie said:
WHOAH WHOAH WHOAH! I thought the SFAC stick was supposed to be a total bitch to mod??? How did you do it?

Well if you look closely I did a total custom job on it.

First I removed the plexiglass and had to drill 2 new holes to mount the Japanese stick in there. I had to make the heads of the mount bolts flush with the wood surface so that the plexiglass wouldn't have any problems and so that the artwork wouldnt get scuffed.

Once the buttons and stick were installed I totally ripped out the original PCB and the wiring that the SFA stick came with. Not sure if you guys know this or not but the SFA stick does have input lag on the Xbox. So I had a friend with a Pelican stick that was broken...so I took the guts out of the pelican and installed them into the SFA stick casing(including the headset port). Now it works perfectly.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
kafuin_gaira said:
are you the same guy as Jumpsuit Jesse on srk? if so, we need to play more on live. i enjoyed being humiliated in hyper fighting, you were very polite and helpful with criticisms on my game and stick setup. (i think i remember discussing input lag on the sf anniversary sticks with you).

anyways, great setups you have there. steer clear of kof and start looking for samurai shodown zero special, that's what we need more good players to learn ;)

Yeah, my gamertag on XBL is Jumpsuit. SF2 has always been my game of choice....and now I play on XBL whenever time permits.

Is SS Zero already out??

NeoSpastika

New Challenger
jsjesse said:
The Jamma converter ran me about $200 plus shipping. I bought one from Lik Sang a long time ago and it was CRAP!

This one was custom made for my needs.

Yeah, I was wondering if your friend was willing to make them and if so how much would it be as you said you paid someone to make it so I'm assuming it's someone you know.

Last edited:

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Any chance I could get you to mod my SF Anniversary stick? If so, how much would you charge?

And I really need to find an impress. I got all 3 SF3's on CPS3 sitting here waiting for a home.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
fatal fury fan #2 said:
so where in Houston do you live??? and did you go to Texas Showdown 5????

I live on the Southeast side of Houston. And yes I went to TS5. I placed first in Hyper SF2 Anniversary Edition and 4th in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
NeoSpastika said:
Yeah, I was wondering if your friend was willing to make them and if so how much would it be as you said you paid someone to make it so I'm assuming it's someone you know.

To be honest I have never personally met the guy who made it for me. I only spoke to him via email. This was over 2 years ago. I am not sure if I can still contact him. I'll try to dig up his email.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
buttasuperb said:
Any chance I could get you to mod my SF Anniversary stick? If so, how much would you charge?

And I really need to find an impress. I got all 3 SF3's on CPS3 sitting here waiting for a home.

Yeah I can mod it. But what parts do you want? US Happ Parts or Japanese Sanwa??

If you want sanwa parts just order them from Himura Games

It's expensive for the parts but worth it if you want the best to play on.

As for labor, just offer whatever. I am not a greedy bastard. :D