Is it just me or has ebay become more rampant with buyer fraud?

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Hello,

Seriously... this shit has started to seriously piss me off. Forget the fact
that some douche used ebay's custom html feature in the "about me"
area to phish our login and cancel over $300 in bids screwing up my
weekend sales, forget the fact that ebay support sucks... whats really
pissing me off is the fact that buyers (2 of whom purchased neo items
from us) and buyers of other high end game systems have suddenly
become scammers themselves.

Last week I get a nasty message from a buyer demanding we provide
him with tracking info and insurance info "again as we did a day after
we received payment" within 24 hours or else... I mean what the hell?

So I give him the info and check the tracking and sure enough he has
had the game for 10 days... Puzzled I think to myself... boy if I hadn't
kept this info for a month this douche would have tried to scam us
of a $150 item. Now he left positive feedback... more on that later....

Another buyer sends us a message cursing, swearing and all kinds of
nasty crap "keep in mind our last message to him was about the item
being sent and the tracking info blah blah....". Nothing after except
his nasty message crying foul.... so guess what? I check the tracking
after giving him the info...AGAIN... and what do you know? Notice was
left at his door and the package has been sitting at his local Post Office
for almost ten days....

Seriously now... what the hell?!

Not that I care either way and it doesn't affect our overall sales in
a big way but in all honesty... is this some kind of new crap people
are starting to pull on ebay? When did this begin? I've sold thousands
of items on the site and now all of a sudden this is becoming a daily
nuisance for me. Have any of you noticed this kind of thing happening
more and more lately?

ok enough... end of the rant. At the end of the day fuck it anyhow.
I'm gonna post what I just sent the buyer from my first example below
so you guys can have a good laugh. If any of you sell on the bay I'd
love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for reading.... blah blah. :buttrock:

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
Heres a message I sent the first guy...

Ok... here's a message I sent the first guy who already left us
positive feedback:

"We have to be honest here and say we'd like a
reasonable explanation as to why you demanded
tracking and insurance info 10 days after
receiving your item from us. You need to
understand that from a sellers standpoint
this would appear that you were attempting
to pull a fast one.

If the item was in your possession at that time
then why the nasty message demanding this info
within "24 hours or else I'll..."

For sellers that do not track or insure packages
this would have cost them $150 and your email
came across as if you had no idea that the
item was in your hands... why is this?

We will give you the same opportunity to respond
within 24 hours as you demanded from us. Thanks."

heh heh heh... LOL :lolz:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
ebay gets worse with every passing day. I'll still buy something when those few good deals pop up, but selling on ebay is just not worth it anymore. Sometimes I'm surprised people still even list there. Plus there are tons of shitty sellers misrepresenting what they've got for sale, so buying on ebay is a gamble.

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Recently, I sold about $120 worth of coins to a guy. He received them, about a month later files a claim with Paypal for the coins, I provide Paypal the tracking number, it goes to arbitration, and they rule in his flavor and never explain it to me. I lose $120.

Cost of selling there. If I tried to move the coins locally I would have gotten significantly less, overall, with over 1,000 feedbacks, I come out ahead. But my block list gets larger and larger. You just need to look at the big picture and realize these scumbags will always pop up...

-Dan

Konig

NAM-75 Vet
Thats a new one, buyers hosing sellers.... I have about had it with ebay lately. I lost over 250 bucks on game shit this last month or so.

Im so sick of people selling broken shit, saying it works in the auction, and then they think they are resolved of it being broken because it was sold "as is".

Im sorry but saying it works, then saying "as is" .. is not an acceptable way to sell broken junk. Especially since I was paying top dollar for the items.

the worst one, was 100 bucks lost on a generation 1 sega genny and sega cd + some crappy games. I always wanted the old school version to add to my collection, but I guess I never will.

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
People are funny. We deal with this crap everyday. Lots of times i'll get to the office after a busy weekend and we'll have emails from people who ordered friday night with overnight shipping asking why its sunday and they still dont have their package and if we don't give them a refund on shipping they'll file a chargeback. Many times i wish i could knock in their door and beat their face in but it prolly wouldn't do any good. This planet is full of shit customers and assholes. Just be as good as you can and let the cards fall as they may. I know its hard but the less you stress over it the better. Stressing does nothing but shorten your lifespan, expecially when dealing with people like this is :(

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Konig said:
Thats a new one, buyers hosing sellers.... I have about had it with ebay lately. I lost over 250 bucks on game shit this last month or so.

Im so sick of people selling broken shit, saying it works in the auction, and then they think they are resolved of it being broken because it was sold "as is".

Im sorry but saying it works, then saying "as is" .. is not an acceptable way to sell broken junk. Especially since I was paying top dollar for the items.

the worst one, was 100 bucks lost on a generation 1 sega genny and sega cd + some crappy games. I always wanted the old school version to add to my collection, but I guess I never will.

Yeah the "as-is" shit has to stop. If the item arrives broken then its the responsibiity of the seller to collect the insurance and reimburse the buyer. If the item arrives broken then the seller should have the buyer pay to ship it back. Then the seller should test the item and if it does not work then they should once again refund the buyer. If the item is not defective then the buyer has to pay for return shipping or the seller gets to keep it and resell it on ebay 90 days later. This is the way it should work imo.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
ebay will never work the way it "should work." ebay makes way too much money running the way it does work currently to ever let that happen.

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
screw ebay. It's always going to be a den of theives

Eldios

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
I have been using ebay since its inception, and I must say that for the most part, it has been positive. Sure I have had my fair share of non paying bidders, fraudulent sellers/buyers and such, but as long as you buy and sell smart you should be ok.

That being said, Buy it Now is a haven for scammers, which is why I do not use it anymore. Also, I never let 0 feedback bidders bid on my auctions because most of them are fraudulent. Anything involving items in demand and money invites fraud. It is a fact of life. More so than the fraud, I cannot stand how ebay triple charges with their listing fee, final value fee, and pay pal fee. Now that is just pure bullshit.

BTW, why is this in general discussion?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Proof that you always ship with deliver confirmation, or some sort of tracking.

Also comes in handy if the carrier loses your package.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I should reply with a nasty message since you posted this in the wrong
section.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
danox574 said:
Recently, I sold about $120 worth of coins to a guy. He received them, about a month later files a claim with Paypal for the coins, I provide Paypal the tracking number, it goes to arbitration, and they rule in his flavor and never explain it to me. I lose $120.

Cost of selling there. If I tried to move the coins locally I would have gotten significantly less, overall, with over 1,000 feedbacks, I come out ahead. But my block list gets larger and larger. You just need to look at the big picture and realize these scumbags will always pop up...

-Dan

Did you use Paypal shipping or your own DC#? If you do not use Paypal shipping they will almost always rule against you as they say "there is no proof that is the real DC# tied to that item", a rep told me that. After that I always used Paypal shipping and have always won disputes since Paypal shipping ties the DC# to an item on their transaction page.

I still hate selling on ebay just because of the double dipping in fees. You pay insertion fees which is fine but you also pay a final value fee PLUS if you use Paypal you get an additional fee for receiving money.

Selling an item that ends at $1 is just a loss of money.

Listing Fee: $0.35
Final Value Fee: $0.30
Paypal Fee: $0.30+3%=$0.33
--------------------------------------
$0.98 in fees

Thats why some people charge a shitload for shipping because they use that to pay for their fees and to make profit.

The one biggest thing that pisses me off is when selllers "require" insurance and when you get the package it's not even insured.

The best one I have seen was a company on ebay made their own "tracking" system with fake dates and processes. Some guy shipped me something via media mail which to Hawaii takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. His BS tracking system said it was here in 2 days from VA. But wait a minute, it's been 3 months since I got the item but yet the trcking system says it wasn't delivered yet?!?

They create these fake tracking systems to win paypal cases, just BS I tell you.

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Xian Xi said:
Did you use Paypal shipping or your own DC#? If you do not use Paypal shipping they will almost always rule against you as they say "there is no proof that is the real DC# tied to that item", a rep told me that. After that I always used Paypal shipping and have always won disputes since Paypal shipping ties the DC# to an item on their transaction page.

Nope, I've always just provided the USPS DC# and purchased the shipping through other methods. Glad to hear someone heard back on this and my shipping method has officially changed as of hearing this.

Great information.

-Dan

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
danox574 said:
Nope, I've always just provided the USPS DC# and purchased the shipping through other methods. Glad to hear someone heard back on this and my shipping method has officially changed as of hearing this.

Great information.

-Dan

In the begining I stayed away from Paypal shipping as I thought it worked differently. I thought that if a buyer paid you say $8 for shipping that the entire $8 would be applied to shipping but then found out that it works the same way where you weigh your package and the actual postage amount gets deducted from your Paypal account. I've been using it ever since. Plus you get free delivery confirmation and no standing in line, just drop it in the recepticle.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
In the begining I stayed away from Paypal shipping as I thought it worked differently. I thought that if a buyer paid you say $8 for shipping that the entire $8 would be applied to shipping but then found out that it works the same way where you weigh your package and the actual postage amount gets deducted from your Paypal account. I've been using it ever since. Plus you get free delivery confirmation and no standing in line, just drop it in the recepticle.

Wtf is paypal shipping? Avail in canada?

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
there used to be a automated postal/drop box at my post office before they took it out because nobody was using it. I loved it because I could drop everything off at night when I actually could instead of them picking it up at my house by leaving packages on the front porch while im at work or having to wait for a day off to ship stuff. Sucks they don't have it anymore.

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Xian Xi said:

Well, I have been buying all of it directly from the PO website and doing exactly the same thing, but if I can achieve the same thing with greater chance of Paypal taking care of me in stupid situations like this, I'm in.

I'm on EBay since 1996. I have no stock items. I have a feedback of 1,111 as of today, and I'm 100%. This scumbag waits 40 days to post a claim, I provide valid tracking information, and his 96% feedback (under 300) wins $120 from me. It's ridiculous. Even the truth will not set you free.

I hate the fact (and appreciate the fact equally) that I don't have it in me to take advantage of this.

-Dan

OlderGames

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
danox574 said:
I'm on EBay since 1996. I have no stock items. I have a feedback of 1,111 as of today, and I'm 100%. This scumbag waits 40 days to post a claim, I provide valid tracking information, and his 96% feedback (under 300) wins $120 from me. It's ridiculous. Even the truth will not set you free.

Thats nothing. We've been on Ebay for 7+ years. Back in the day you didn't
even have to be involved in a transaction in order to leave feedback. We got
our first 4 negs out of nowhere by someone we weren't even dealing with.

We have sold approx 5K items in this time and the majority of negs are
from ebay n00bz who were deadbeat bidders. It's amazing how they
allow someone to bid on your items, not pay and then leave negs.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
It looks like the old saying needs to be changed to "Let the seller beware".

I've got a ton of crap that I planned to unload on eBay but I've really been dragging my feet on with the way things have changed.

So many rules between eBay and PayPal, some favoring the seller, some favoring the buyer, and all of it just too damn confusing.

You almost need a legal document posted on your auction spelling everything out to make a sale nowadays it seems.

Definitely not like the old days of eBay when things seemed a lot simpler...

I've had that problem with overseas bidders. Problem is that paypal always finds in their favor because they can't confirm 99% of their shipping addresses. So under seller protection you get non if they are overseas. Pay[pal doesn't even tell them they have to ship your item back.

I fixed that by just not selling items to people overseas unless they have a high feedback rating with no negatives.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Actually I'm on the reverse end of the buyer scam thing, well I suppose. I won an auction a month ago and paid immediately via paypal. Auction stated that it would ship within 1-2 business days, over a week later I receive a tracking # via paypal and there's no record of it on USPS.com. So I wait a day or two and still no record, email the seller. It takes him another week to get back to me, says he had some problems at the PO scanning the tracking #'s and I should receive the item that week. Now a week later (Monday) I email him saying I still haven't received. Yesterday I get an email with him telling me I'm a scammer and I probably received the items and just want my money back as well. This is for an $18 item by the way. I'm pretty pissed right now, I've never filed a claim with paypal nor had one filed against me, but it looks like this might be the first.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
The_Chosen_One said:
It takes him another week to get back to me, says he had some problems at the PO scanning the tracking #'s and I should receive the item that week.

[BULLSHIT]

Sorry man, I just sneezed.

Post Office having some trouble scanning the tracking numbers? What kind of crap excuse it that?

If he is talking about electronic postage (like the kind you can buy from PayPal or the USPS on-line and then print your own label) they (USPS) scan the package when you drop it off.

So unless he left it for his mailman to pick up, or stuffed it in a mailbox, it would have gotten scanned already. They won't ship it if they can't verify you paid for the postage.

Does the tracking number come up when you enter it or not? If not, then tell him his shit does stink and to refund your money or replace the item.

$18 or $1800 dollars don't let some ass rip you for any amount of money.