I finally got a Neo Geo MVS!

bryan

Geese's Thug
I got Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown, World Heroes 2, and a 100 in 1 mutli cart. I have been having lots of fun with this.

I also just got an MVS from a friend! We're going to bring it over today and I'm super excited! It's got SamSho, World Heroes Perfect, Windjammers, and Fatal Fury 2.

I definitely want to pick up KOF 98, but I'm not sure what else to get as I never played many SNK/NeoGeo as a kid. Any recommendations? Sorry if this was the wrong place to post this, but it seemed to relate to the thread. :)

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Depends on what you want to play. For me I would recommend the following...

Action - Metal Slug X, Metal Slug 3, Sengoku 3 and Shock Troopers (And the 2nd one is good)
Driving - Neo Driftout and Overtop
Fighting - Garou MOTW, KoF98 and 2003, Ninja Masters and SvC Chaos
Shooter - Blazing Star, Prehistoric Isle, Pulstar, Strikers 1945 and Twinkle Star Sprites
Sport - Neo Turf Masters, Super Dodgeball and Windjammers

Check out NeoGeoSoft for more info...

Welcome to NG.com and enjoy your stay.

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm a big fighting game fan. Yeah KOF98 is my #1 wanted game and eventually Garou but it is so expensive. Does KOF2002 work on MVS? I'd like to get that eventually as well.

I'll check out the rest of the games mentioned too. rcantor77, your site is pretty sweet. I predict myself using it a lot in the future.

Anselm

Camel Slug
Can't believe you didn't mention Viewpoint under shooters.

~Anselm~

Loris Biaggi

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sorry, I should have specified. I'm a big fighting game fan.

If you like fighters, i add:
-Breakers
-Kabuki Klash
-Galaxy Fight (i know no one likes it... but i do! give it a try)
-MORE Samurai Shodown (2, 3, 4)
-OLD World Heroes, very different from WHP, but good in other ways (Deathmatch mode rules!)

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Can't believe you didn't mention Viewpoint under shooters.

~Anselm~

Yeah you are right... I love that game.

But I am a shooters fan so I had to hold back from mentioning them all.
I thought I was quite reserved only listing five... I could have also mentioned AeroFighters (both of them), ASOII, Last Reosrt and Ghost Pilots.

But as the guy likes fighters, I would now also mention to look at Last Blade, Real Bout Fatal Fury and of course Shin Samurai Spirits (No. 2). Waku Waku 7 is also worthy of a mention. I never really got into Art of Fighting or World Heroes that much, good fun for a but so still worth a look.

There are some really good reviews on here and of course on NeoGeoForLife... check them out.

I am mostly a Capcom fighter fan but CVS2 got me into SNK characters so I've been slowly learning about SNK and other NeoGeo fighting games over the years..all leading up to my first arcade machine. :D The recommendations for non-fighters are very helpful too because I don't know much about NeoGeo games outside of fighting for the most part.

Been checking reviews and videos for every game mentioned. Thanks a bunch, guys!

As far as purchasing carts, should I mostly stick to the trading forum here? I'm looking at stuff on eBay but it's hard to tell what is a good price for games and if they are real. Is there a good reference or price tracker to use, or is eBay just a bad call? Sorry if these are all noob questions.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I am mostly a Capcom fighter fan but CVS2 got me into SNK characters so I've been slowly learning about SNK and other NeoGeo fighting games over the years..all leading up to my first arcade machine. :D The recommendations for non-fighters are very helpful too because I don't know much about NeoGeo games outside of fighting for the most part.

Been checking reviews and videos for every game mentioned. Thanks a bunch, guys!

As far as purchasing carts, should I mostly stick to the trading forum here? I'm looking at stuff on eBay but it's hard to tell what is a good price for games and if they are real. Is there a good reference or price tracker to use, or is eBay just a bad call? Sorry if these are all noob questions.

welcome to the fold!

there is a price guide here. start there for prices. it is old, so bump it up a little. People here are pretty good with trading and shipping. ive had not problems and i have been doing a bunchof buying since i got here. make sure to leave feedback! have lots of fun.

cheers.

-c.

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Sorry, I should have specified. I'm a big fighting game fan. Yeah KOF98 is my #1 wanted game and eventually Garou but it is so expensive. Does KOF2002 work on MVS? I'd like to get that eventually as well.

I'll check out the rest of the games mentioned too. rcantor77, your site is pretty sweet. I predict myself using it a lot in the future.

There are not really any expensive games for the MVS... :)

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Essential fighters would be KOF '98 ('97 is no slouch!) & Samurai Shodown 2 (as mentioned). For games that are a little dated but still awesome, Fatal Fury Special & Samurai Shodown 1 (which happens to be my favorite game ever). The Art of Fighting games are a little weird, but awesome, and Galaxy Fight is indeed good. These are all games you could pick up in a big stack without breaking the bank, but for the pricier games, definitely Waku Waku 7 and Ninja Masters. Most would say Kizuna Encounter too, but at least that one's available on the 161 multicart. The World Heroes games aren't completely horrible either....if you can get them for $10 or so.

For shooters, hell yes Viewpoint.

For sports games, I personally adore Baseball Stars Professional. I know most would recommend BS2, but I like the team customization in the first one. Neo Turf Masters is also the best 2D golf game ever. Street Hoops is fun, as mentioned (also notable cos the cart music has actual rapping).

For random-ass games, King of the Monsters (a wrestling game) & League Bowling.

For puzzle games, Bust-A-Move (plenty of functional bootleg copies floating around) and either of the Magical Drop games. These will keep your lady friends occupied. (ladies love KOF '97 as well, as it has the most forgiving controls of any KOF, plus Shermie & Mai)

Like I said, these should all be pretty cheap unless otherwise noted, but the Last Blade games are excellent (best looking games on the Neo, even if they're not super cheap).

P.S. Buy Fatal Fury 1 (supercheap!), and don't stop playing it til you like it. The moves are tricky, but it can be very rewarding. It may be simplistic, but the characters hit hard as fuck, so you can tear through it in no time once you get good. Plus, 2 people can gang up on the AI. It was also the beginning of the older games having hilariously weird bonus stages between fights. I miss that.

Last edited:

bryan

Geese's Thug
Wow tons of suggestions, thanks for the warm welcome. I just got a SVC kit for fathers day and I have been playing that like crazy. I know a lot of people don't seem to like it, but I am having a lot of fun with it. I am still learning the site. How can I bring up a list of topics with my post so I don't have search all of the form to keep up with topics?