hyperspin rigs

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Since I've been playing with my naomi rig on both my blast city cabs, I took these out and I thought I'd share my handy work.

6820029448_b1a0d87a05_b.jpg

one is used for my horizontal bc , so it has all the console emulators, arcade emulators with horizontal games, and win32 games ( SF4 AE, doujin shmups, etc )

the other is strictly for verital mame,naomi and typex/x2 games.

you should be able to spot which one is which :)

imjasonh

New Challenger
Nice! What are you using for support for your video cards? I'm super scared mine may break, so i haven't installed it into my Blast, yet.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
the pci-e slot is designed to hold one end of the video card in place. The other end is held in place in 2 different ways.
1) At the edge of the motherboard, I bent the video card bracket so it wraps around the motherboard.
2) the bracket had a hole in it at the end near the motherboard, so used that hole to zip tie the backet to a PCB feet right under the video card.

I'll post some pics later tonight.

imjasonh

New Challenger
Did some scrounging in my dad's garage today while I was there and found a great piece to hold my video card in place. Problem solved! The dual board idea is something I have thought of since my Blast City doesn't have an auto sync monitor.

imjasonh

New Challenger
Are you using hyperspin for your vertical cabinet? If so, how are you rotating the Hyperspin menu?

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
modified a bunch of stuff...
redid menus
set the wheel to be on the bottom of the screen ( therefore right when rotated )
rotated all my media 90 degree

now that I look back, it was a bunch of work, I should have created a blog entry about it...

hyperspin 2.0 has been in development for ages, it is supposed to support vertical mode but when will it ever be out ?? maximus arcade supports vertical out of the box.

imjasonh

New Challenger
Sounds like it was. And who knows when Hyperspin 2.0 will be out, sounds like BBB is kind of burned out at the moment. Did you follow tutorials on how to convert to vertical, or wing it yourself? I can't seem to find much.

imjasonh

New Challenger
Going to start rotating hyperspin today. Did you make a custom MAME theme that you could share? :D My plan is to just change controls and use a sideways theme, if that makes sense. Thanks for your help/info!

lions3

Igniz's Servent
ah hyperspin.

My rig is just gathering dust at the moment. Last summer I rebuilt the system with hyperspin 2.0 and never put it back in the cab. Completely forgot about it. Sounds like I know what i'm booting up this wkend!

mr_e

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I spent weeks building a hyperspin rig last summer. After 6 hours with that noisy fucker sitting in my garage, I went back to maximus. Hyperspin is too busy, and way too loud.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Going to start rotating hyperspin today. Did you make a custom MAME theme that you could share? :D My plan is to just change controls and use a sideways theme, if that makes sense. Thanks for your help/info!

yeah I had to modify the themes gfx+xml and rotate wheels art for hyperspin, mame , naomi & typeX/X2. I need to zip up the gfx & XML to my google drive and send you the link. I need to backup that drive at some point too... procrastination will get the best of me. :oh_no:

you can set the hyperspin volume interdependently btw. I do that because... yeah... it gets old and obnoxious quick.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I really enjoy seeing the hardware you've put together CC, very clean all JAMMA based. I've thought about doing something similar for awhile now. My downfall was removing the original control panel harness and wiring my joystick PCB's directly. I did it because I thought the not uniform (CPS1/CPS2/Midway/etc) kicks harness stuff was BS. Now I see I should have just gotten a JAMMA finger board with a CPS2 style (the most popular) kicks harness on it, and soldered my joysticks to that. Its not too late to change, its just very low on my list of things to do right now... Because at the end of the day, I DO have a fully working MAME setup. All be it not as pretty on the insides. I also like the idea of a MAME board/rig being fully JAMMA and totally swappable into any arcade cab at any time. Just like a real arcade board would be. I really wish the microATX boards that exist with JAMMA on them didn't use WinXP embeded, didn't require you to wire up your own 15khz video source, and were priced more reasonably. My guess is the demand for such a product is slim to totally not existent and this is the reason why. Having to supply the board with power seems so redundant when we've already got +5 +12 -5 and ground all right from harness. Not to mention I hate having the extra AC cord for the PS coming out of the back of my cab.

imjasonh

New Challenger
yeah I had to modify the themes gfx+xml and rotate wheels art for hyperspin, mame , naomi & typeX/X2. I need to zip up the gfx & XML to my google drive and send you the link. I need to backup that drive at some point too... procrastination will get the best of me. :oh_no:

you can set the hyperspin volume interdependently btw. I do that because... yeah... it gets old and obnoxious quick.

Thanks a lot codecrank! I have also turned down the majority of hyperspin's sound. I like the frontend, but it does get a little crazy and difficult to work with. I will hopefully have the parts for my Egret II later next week to get this finished. And don't worry, these machines are untouched as far as mods go. :)

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I know squat about Hyperspin and don't believe I have the knowhow to create a decent Hyperspin setup on my own.

I found a site called romcollector.com where he sells preset harddrives that are supposedly plug and play. They aren't cheap but if it works it sounds like it'd be what I'm looking for. Here's a link to what I'm looking at http://romcollector.com/*bundle-packs*/consoles-arcade-bundle-p-155.html

Has anyone ever used or had experience with romcollector.com?

Last edited:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
I really enjoy seeing the hardware you've put together CC, very clean all JAMMA based.

Thanks !

I really wish the microATX boards that exist with JAMMA on them didn't use WinXP embeded, didn't require you to wire up your own 15khz video source, and were priced more reasonably.

I'm guessing those are pretty much only used by slot machines anymore.

imjasonh

New Challenger
I know squat about Hyperspin and don't believe I have the knowhow to create a decent Hyperspin setup on my own.

I found a site called romcollector.com where he sells preset harddrives that are supposedly plug and play. They aren't cheap but if it works it sounds like it'd be what I'm looking for. Here's a link to what I'm looking at http://romcollector.com/*bundle-packs*/consoles-arcade-bundle-p-155.html

Haven't heard of this site. Setting up Hyperspin can be a little daunting, but I think once you learn the ins and outs, most of it should be quite simple. I have pretty much all of the resources needed for a full hyperspin project (console and arcade), so if you would like some help getting started, just let me know.

childsremix

Overtop Pathfinder

I've bought a mame hard drive setup from him a few years ago. He makes it extremely easy to get it up and running.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Here I zipped up the relevant files needed for HS to work vertically . you should be able to merge the files over. Now that I look at it, I completely forgot i had to rebuild the theme bundles for BOTH the main menu and the game wheels ... what a pain, hope this saves someone some time :D

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2TNlV4ADicrY0xLX09wb1poT28/edit?usp=sharing

note that
1) for size, I didn't include all the rotated wheel art for mame. batch rotate your existing set
2) you probably don't need my settings file , but i included them anyways.

cheers to BBB and the HS crew !

leonk

Marked Wolf
Couple of observations and questions for you.

- Is it fair to assume that you're using soft15 or GroovyMAME to get 15khz in MAME?
- I see that you're using a JPAC in 1 setup, and an IPAC in another. In the first setup, the JPAC will protect your monitor from 31khz signal + amplify up to 5v arcade monitor voltage, but the iPAC doesn't do that. Are you running your Blast in 31khz rather than 15?
- How does the Naomi emulation compare to the real thing? I currently have MAME setup and Naomi setup (using UVC to connect to MS9 15khz on my NAC)

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Couple of observations and questions for you.

- Is it fair to assume that you're using soft15 or GroovyMAME to get 15khz in MAME?
- I see that you're using a JPAC in 1 setup, and an IPAC in another. In the first setup, the JPAC will protect your monitor from 31khz signal + amplify up to 5v arcade monitor voltage, but the iPAC doesn't do that. Are you running your Blast in 31khz rather than 15?
- How does the Naomi emulation compare to the real thing? I currently have MAME setup and Naomi setup (using UVC to connect to MS9 15khz on my NAC)

I'm running everything in VGA. I don't care for scan lines... I'd rather use filters for low res games and have a bright screen. mame can emulated them if I really want them.

I use the JPAC as an IPAC. it was having video syncing issues, so I just cut the RGBS traces. If you don't the Blast freaks out because it gets a signal from both the jamma and the vga input.

the naomi emulation is "very playable" , kinda like the dreamcast emulation. artifacts, improperly rendered elements, random sound screw ups but otherwise playable. . I have actual naomi setup so I don't ever use the emulator.

I need to test out cab mame or groovy mame, I still experience sound skips in mame , and non 100% perfect scrolling. annoying for shmups.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
No 15khz support with cabmame but you will get smooth scrolling and better timed screen redraws. Because I have a uVC as well I dont need my software to provide 15khz, for me this is the better option. My benchmark game is the opening scene of darkstalkers. The lighting flash happens so quickly if your timing is off you'll see the screen tear in a clear visible line in the center of the monitor.

imjasonh

New Challenger
I'm running everything in VGA. I don't care for scan lines... I'd rather use filters for low res games and have a bright screen. mame can emulated them if I really want them.

I use the JPAC as an IPAC. it was having video syncing issues, so I just cut the RGBS traces. If you don't the Blast freaks out because it gets a signal from both the jamma and the vga input.

the naomi emulation is "very playable" , kinda like the dreamcast emulation. artifacts, improperly rendered elements, random sound screw ups but otherwise playable. . I have actual naomi setup so I don't ever use the emulator.

I need to test out cab mame or groovy mame, I still experience sound skips in mame , and non 100% perfect scrolling. annoying for shmups.

Running groovymame is highly recommended. I have it set up to only run in 15khz mode and the games look fantastic (scanlines and all!). Its pretty easy to set up, if you would like my mame.ini and vmmaker.ini files to get it set up, let me know!

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Well I went with the preloaded MAME and emulator setup from romcollector and I am very pleased.

I have no knowledge of how to do much but in the end all I had to do was configure the controls and that was no problem. Bought an arcade stick and it's a ton of fun!!!! Yeah, maybe stuff isn't 100% spot on (but it seems close enough to me) and I'm playing it on my LCD tv (so no scanlines), but so far everything plays very well. You can choose the screen ratio, configure buttons however you like for each game, go into test screens and set the difficulty)...Some occasional screen tearing but for the price I think was very, very cool...Getting to play games I could never afford (Cadillacs and Dinosaurs), or just wouldn't have a setup for (720, NARC, Outrun, Outrunners). Getting to hear the NARC rap!!!....olol....Keeps high scores for everything, which is the best part...Plus one for romcollector.com.

Last edited: