How to tell if a game is a Conversion?

lordnikon

Another Striker
Hello,

I have been registered here for a few years. I collect SNK games on other systems. Since I got a new job after years of freelance work, I just finally purchased a NEOGEO, and am looking to get up to speed on a few things as I am buying games.

How can I tell if a game is a conversion or not? I would like to avoid buying conversions / bootlegs. If anyone could provide me with some links or other information so that I can make smart purchases, please feel free.

I was also reading something about NGF in various threads mutilating home cart inserts. Did they destroy official inserts and replace them with new ones?

If possible I would like to know any information necessary to buy official original JP/US/EU AES homecarts, and MVS kits that are not bootlegs or conversions. It would help me greatly.

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Last edited:

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
One sure fire way is to open the cart. It is almost impossible to hand solder chips to look like they were done in a proper manufacturing setting.

Note: Opening a cart will void the warranty and probably ruin the label in some way. It will also release the OEM air it it was indeed original and not a conversion.

Most (not all) conversion lack manuls. That should definitely be a red flag when seeing a hard to find game for sale.

lordnikon

Another Striker
Much thanks for replying to this. I figured my thread fell on def ears.

So, in most cases the games being converted are the really rare ones?

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
lordnikon said:
Much thanks for replying to this. I figured my thread fell on def ears.

So, in most cases the games being converted are the really rare ones?

Generally. That said, I have heard of folks wanting to conver games where ther originals could be had for $100 or so. To me that is just plain nutz.

It is pretty much cost prohibited to convert a common cart (sac, original, labor, label, etc.). I guess it could be a cheap way to try your hand at conversion. Besides the rare games that were made for the home system such as Metal Slug, the other type of conversions that are common are those that were never made for the home system.

Cheers,
Larry