How to go about starting a group buy?

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I'm trying to get myself an Everdrive for my NES and was wondering if others on the forum were interested in doing so. I know yodd has held group buys for everdrives before so I figured I'd make this thread.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Send a PM to broken or mjmjr25. They have run numerous everdrive group buys and all have gone well. They can give you advice on what to do and what to avoid.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Here are some of my tips for running a successful first group buy:

0. Get organized. Use a spreadsheet to track all info relevant to the group buy. Also post in your group buy thread who is buying what.

1. Keep the quantities low - Since you are talking about a Everdrive group buy, all you need is 10 to get the discounted price. I would suggest limiting the group buy to just a total of 10. There is an option for them with or without cart shells so keep that in mind.

2. Limit the scope of the group buy. Just offer 1 item. Different everdrives, SD cards, cables and accessories complicate things.

3. Have clearly defined goals in your group buy thread. Post specifics about what is being offered, how long it will be offered for, total number needed to make the group buy happen, shipping terms and etc. And make sure people know when they need to pay by. Don't leave these kind of details up to interpretation.

4. Keep your thread updated with the status of what you are ordering, when it arrives and etc.

5. When giving shipping quotes, take into account cost of shipping supplies. Unless you are shipping everything via Priority mail flat rate boxes, things likes padded envelopes and such cost extra.

These are just a couple quick things off the top of my head.

Really, if you limit what you are offering to a single item, limit quantities (like 10 in the everdrive case) and get organized, it's a pretty simple process. I would look through any of mjmjr25's or my group buy threads for examples.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

0. Get organized. Use a spreadsheet to track all info relevant to the group buy. Also post in your group buy thread who is buying what.

1. Keep the quantities low - Since you are talking about a Everdrive group buy, all you need is 10 to get the discounted price. I would suggest limiting the group buy to just a total of 10. There is an option for them with or without cart shells so keep that in mind.

2. Limit the scope of the group buy. Just offer 1 item. Different everdrives, SD cards, cables and accessories complicate things.

3. Have clearly defined goals in your group buy thread. Post specifics about what is being offered, how long it will be offered for, total number needed to make the group buy happen, shipping terms and etc. And make sure people know when they need to pay by. Don't leave these kind of details up to interpretation.

4. Keep your thread updated with the status of what you are ordering, when it arrives and etc.

5. When giving shipping quotes, take into account cost of shipping supplies. Unless you are shipping everything via Priority mail flat rate boxes, things likes padded envelopes and such cost extra.

Really, if you limit what you are offering to a single item, limit quantities (like 10 in the everdrive case) and get organized, it's a pretty simple process. I would look through any of mjmjr25's or my group buy threads for examples.

This.

The only other advice I would expand on is the shipping. Order your supplies well in advance and plan out how you are going to package each item for mailing.

I found it helpful to assemble all the boxes and set asside packaging material before actually getting the goods. Then when they come in, just package them up, tape up the box and slap a label on it.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try and keep it narrowed down to just 10 NES Everdrives and I'll also take a look at your "template". I'll pm you if I have any further questions.