HD CRT TV's

-Hibikster-

Bead Banger
Okay the earlier thread about this was an eye-opener for me. I recently started to recollect some vintage systems and I know that they would look like crap on an LCD/Plasma...but these CRT HD TVs seem like they're the best way to go as far as older systems. I've been raving about getting an LCD/Plasma TV for so long now but I might just end up getting one of these....My question is, how would they look like playing newer systems like my 360?

I did some searching on Kijiji and here's what I found:

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...HD-CRT-TV-widescreen-1080i-W0QQAdIdZ176875356

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-32-JVC-i-Art-Television-CRT-HD-W0QQAdIdZ183137228

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...-it-for-your-gaming-system-W0QQAdIdZ181749530

http://guelph.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Samsung-32-CRT-HD-capable-TV-W0QQAdIdZ184118441

Are any of these a good deal? From your experiences, which brands/models should I be going after? And which ones should I be avoiding?

Last edited:

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
I have an HD-CRT Sony Trinitron and I love it. Great for retro stuff, and the 360 in 720p looks awesome. The colors are much better then an LCD for sure.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Okay the earlier thread about this was an eye-opener for me. I recently started to recollect some vintage systems and I know that they would look like crap on an LCD/Plasma...but these CRT HD TVs seem like they're the best way to go as far as older systems. I've been raving about getting an LCD/Plasma TV for so long now but I might just end up getting one of these....My question is, how would they look like playing newer systems like my 360?
The 1080i HD CRTs should be good for the 360 and PS3 (if they're a decent brand). Personally I would go with a 120Hz 1080p LCD for newer systems like the PS3 and blu-ray, and a separate RGB CRT for the old systems.

Last edited:

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
if theres any way you can have a separate sd tv for your old stuff do that.

otherwise ive been pretty happy with the sd performance of my xbr 970.

snes sucks on it though. it seems to have some kind of sync issue. then again its an sfc and not a snes, that could possibly be it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Do any of these HD Crt's come with VGA? I Love my 27 inch Wega but all it has is component. I could always get a component to vga cable or adapter, but I don't know how its going to look.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have a 34" XBR 800 that I love. My one gripe is that it doesn't have VGA. DVI and component, yes, but not VGA. Would be nice to hook up my laptop to it.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I have a 34" XBR 800 that I love. My one gripe is that it doesn't have VGA. DVI and component, yes, but not VGA. Would be nice to hook up my laptop to it.

Dude, vga to dvi converters are dirt cheap.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
you can pick up a old sony standard for cheap these days and thats your best bet. if you are going to get a hd it might as well be a lcd , wont look that much worse then a hd crt. I had a hd samsung r2765-27" and currently have a hd panasonic or jvc hd 30"-32" i cant stand playing on either. However my sony sxrd DLP does an amazing job with analog inputs. turbo duo ,saturn look great nes i am not sure about as i never really played it that much so not sure how it suppose to look but its fine for me.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Dude, vga to dvi converters are dirt cheap.
If you mean VGA to DVI-A, yes, but my TV only works for DVI-D.

Unless there's an actual signal converter that's dirt cheap that I don't know about. How cheap is cheap? Does it lag?

SSS

neo retired
if theres any way you can have a separate sd tv for your old stuff do that.

otherwise ive been pretty happy with the sd performance of my xbr 970.

snes sucks on it though. it seems to have some kind of sync issue. then again its an sfc and not a snes, that could possibly be it.

I had weird skipping issues on mine with the neo. I don't think it could handle the slightly less than 60hz refresh.