Has my CPS3 3rd Strike board died?

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
Plugged in my 3s JP mobo into a new cabinet today after it being in storage for 2 weeks. I turned it on and it started to play through the intro etc, but with no noise. I then pressed start and it went to the character select screen with still no noise.

It then FROZE!

After a few 5 seconds or so I turned of the cabinet, waited a bit then turned it back on only to have a screen full of garbly/gobble fuzzy stuff. I tried it on another cabinet and it was still the same, after repeated attempts it still didn't work. Then after turning it on once more it went fuzzy then went black and stayed black from then on.

Has my 3s kit fallen victim to the dreaded "suicide battery issue?" Please help, I am really pissed off.

ni-ten

War Room Troll
Hm...sounds bad.
-Check the conection of the sec. cartrige.
-Maybe clean the contacts.
-Open up the cart and check if the voltage is still at 3v.

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
ni-ten said:
Hm...sounds bad.
-Check the conection of the sec. cartrige.
-Maybe clean the contacts.

I did both of those, I'll have to try the voltage thing you mentioned... man, I hate CPS3.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
I feel for you, mate. :(

I think the suicide battery is a ridiculous idea.
What ever possessed Capcom to do it?!

It is the suicide battery that put me off the CPS boards, couldn't deal with having a ticking time bomb.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Welcome to the dead CPS3 club. Mine had garbled up graphics when it died... sounds like you just lost $400 worth of arcade hardware. Sorry man!

Go to Naomi... better hardware anyhow.

Valgar

NEST Puppet
Gummy Bear said:
I think the suicide battery is a ridiculous idea.
What ever possessed Capcom to do it?!

Pirates?

It almost sounds like your cartridge died from shock or something. Check the battery and let us know what it reads.

All I can say, is if you have a CPS3, change that shit ASAP.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Damn, that sucks! Another one bites the dust. :oh_no:

Anyways, don't throw it away if the battery has died on you, maybe there will be a fix someday. At least one can hope for one.

FusionITR

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Can't he just send it to Capcom and have them fix it? Yeah i'll be expensieve but it's better than just throwing it away.

Valgar

NEST Puppet
CAPCOM USA is no more. Only JP Carts can now be revived by CAPCOM JAPAN. You have to go through an Arcade too, you can't just do it privately.

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
xtoo_short20x said:
If it looks anything like this:

http://www.guenstiger-essen.de/cps3faq/pics/cps3_dead.jpg

Means it's gone. RIP

Yep, that's it. :mad:

All this time for whatever reason I thought I would be the one immune to the suicide battery issue... then it happens to me. No wonder so many Arcade operators hate CPS3 stuff, I just now had to spend $430US on another board cause it is the main game played in my shop.

Fucking Capcom...

ni-ten

War Room Troll
There are so many dead cps3 boards out there.
Btw. is there still someone working on decryption?
Razoola maybe?

Valgar

NEST Puppet
I doubt any Arcade Operator cared about the suicide battery. Considering it should last 5 years, and that isn't counting all the time the board is on in an arcade (probably 12/7 a week). The only game that would still make them money is 3rd Strike anyway. You know, and even if somehow an Arcade operators board DID die, THEY can send it to CAPCOM.

Suicide Battery didn't stop arcade operators from using CPS2, so it obviously isn't the reason.

Anyway, you should definitely change your new boards battery ASAP.

Last edited:

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Valgar said:
Suicide Battery didn't stop arcade operators from using CPS2

Heh, believe it or not, there are some arcade ops who don't even know about those suicide batteries ...