Hank Williams III appreciation thread

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
So I saw Hank III tonight at House of Blues in Vegas. It was badass. Then he played in his band Assjack and they played a MELVINS song. I nearly fainted.

Anywho, I got him to autograph my business card. He's a really nice guy - also met his banjo player.

I'M GOING STRAIGHT TO HELL AND NOTHING'S GONNA SLOW ME DOWN

:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

Does anyone else out there in Neo Geo land like Hank? Am I all alone? Again? Still?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
his grandfather was great and i idolize the man and his music. hank the third is a racist prick

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I LOVE Hank 3. His music is so great. My father and I play 5 shots of Whiskey when I go home. He plays slide guitar and I play guitar and sing.

I can't seem to find his first album anywhere.

edit - Racist prick???? Wtf?

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
his grandfather was great and i idolize the man and his music. hank the third is a racist prick

Wasnt there scientific proof in the war room that everyone is a racist? I take everything written in the war room as fact.

I love me some Hank III, saw him Fort Luaderdale in the Culture Room. I dont know the man personally and none of his music seems to have racist messages but do wear tin foil under my hat so maybe I am just not getting the signals.

Marek

Banned
Well Hank II is a talentless racist hack so it seems possible that his son would be too.

Everyone I know says Hank 3 is a good musician and a nice guy in person though, so w/e.

edit: K_K is right on about Hank Sr. though. He is a country music God.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
My roommates went to the show here in Vegas last night. I, sadly, was stuck at work. ;_;

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
I view Hank III as sort of a copy of a copy. You know how when you make a copy of something, it's not a perfect duplicate, and then you make a copy of that copy, it gets all weird and crappy?

Hank Sr was the original.
Jr was the copy that didn't hit the mark
III is a joke.

Hippee

Sgt. Pistachio,
Sadly - I'm not really into country music so I can't discuss Hank III vs. the other Hanks. But I can say that he seemed like a really cool dude and I love his music. Everything about his music and the stuff he said between songs just seemed really pure - like a pure feeling of - like real life sucks and hard work sucks but you have to do what you have to do and you gotta live life to the fullest and have fun while you can/ all that stuff. Which is nice.

Also, he played for like 3-4 hours - that was insane in and of itself.

Why do people say he's racist? Seemed like a really nice guy when he SIGNED MY BUSINESS CARD :buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

Also, THOSE POOR BASTARDS played last night before Hank. They were really good - I hadn't heard of them before. And a dude in a skeleton mask slinked onstage and did some weird, creepy singing, then slinked off again. Turns out that was Hank also.

:vik::vik::vik::vik::vik::vik:

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Perhaps you where of a race he could tolerate???

Country music threads are always interesting, you either love it or hate it and 9 times out of 10 the haters base their opinions on preconcived notions or worse yet... the popular crap they play on the radio.

As far as Hank Jr and Hank 3 being copies of Hank Sr, how the hell do you figure that? None of them have the same style and the latter two have been heavily critized for not following their predecessors steps.

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
I'm trying to find more good country so I will check him out. If he likes the Melvins he at least has good taste.

I like Drive by Truckers a whole lot, especially their latest album.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
f09494wh6xm.jpg

This is the album! Lot's of good fast and slow country songs all about boozin' and women.

I love country music. I was never really into Hank Sr., any albums or songs I should start with?

Hank Williams the original is some god damn good music.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I always liked Hank III since back in 99 or so tho... The Assjack/Damn Band stuff...

Never so much the Country, but hey gotta pay teh billz.

At Least Hank III (not really named hank) probably does The Hank Williams style better than his old man (not really named hank either).

Had some good stuff.. But the label never reallly let him take off.

He gotta be at least moderately musically talented... He played Bass (or was it Drums?) for Superjoint Ritual.