Great Lan party and internet games, know any hidden gems?

Scuz39

User title.,
Just wondering if anyone has any good suggustions for games for a small Lan party. And good games to play 1 on 1 with a friend who is out of town. Please avoid the obvious (like UT, HL, and the like)

A few I suggest-

For a LAN- Myth 2 (2 is my favorite at least, can't go wrong with any though)
-Worms 2 (though I like this game better Hot seat, in the same way I prefer the Heros of Might and magic series hot seat, just more personal and you can really enjoy watching how a person plays thier turn)

For 1 on 1 on the internet
- Close Combat 2: A bridge to far
- Mechcommander (just the first one 2 sucks)

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Had a LAN party two weeks ago, the majority of it was spent playing Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War.

One of the greatest RTS's to come out in ages, highly reccomend. Go and enjoy the Waaagh! :buttrock:

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
Flatout! We played this a few months ago and it totally rocks! It's a destruction derby racing game built on the Halflife 2 engine. The actual destruction derbys are hilarious. Even the single player is very fun.

http://www.flatoutgame.com/

Scuz39

User title.,
JHendrix said:
Had a LAN party two weeks ago, the majority of it was spent playing Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War.

One of the greatest RTS's to come out in ages, highly reccomend. Go and enjoy the Waaagh! :buttrock:

I suppose if it is 1/2 as cool as Warhammer: Darkomen it would be pretty sweet, I would pay 50 bucks for a version of dark omen that I could get working online :).

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
DOW is a great, fast-paced, fairly balanced, deep RTS.
I love the Orks = )

Scuz39

User title.,
Just played it today, it is an interesting mix of Z and starcraft. two thumbs up, thanks for the recommendation!

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Atomic Bomberman is awesome and since it's so old you can probably find it dirt-cheap. You can play over LAN but not the internet.

And it has a level editor too!

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
soldat

tetrinet

I'm trying to find atomic bomberman and myth2 right now

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
cool atomic bomberman works fine in WINE

thing is .. its IPX only.. ugh.

Scuz39

User title.,
We just finished up four days of solid LAN party a few hours ago and it went off great :). The games that got played the most in order where.

-AVP2+exp
-Soldier of fortune 2 (plays alot like counterstrike with a faster more arcadey feel which I think befits a LAN, also runs on older machines without looking like crap on newer ones)
-Dawn of War (great game for an LAN because you fight from begining to end without all the usually base building eating 10minutes of everyones time)
-Myth 2
-Freespace 2 (this will get more play next time, we didn't have enough joy sticks this time around. can't wait to play the co-op with people though :) )

Games I hope to add for next time - WE8 (not sure about how LANable it is though)

Anyway thanks for all the suggustions guys :) and if anyone has any more I would love to hear them (plan to run 2-3 more this summer)

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Total Annihilation trumps all - best RTS ever made easily, I have DOW and it's pretty cool, but no match for the godly TA