Good article on the XBox 360 Elite

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
I thought this was a good article on the Elite:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/news/inside_the_xbox_360_elite.htm

Seems like the way they have tried to fix the red ring is to use epoxy to basically glue the graphics and main CPU to the motherboard. Will this be enough to fix it; can the 360 live down the name "FreezeBox 360"? I don't know. I was honestly hoping to see a better method of cooling the system. Maybe they need a larger case, more fans, or a larger heatsink. I'll keep holding off for a while.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
ironish said:
I thought this was a good article on the Elite:

http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/news/inside_the_xbox_360_elite.htm

Seems like the way they have tried to fix the red ring is to use epoxy to basically glue the graphics and main CPU to the motherboard. Will this be enough to fix it; can the 360 live down the name "FreezeBox 360"? I don't know. I was honestly hoping to see a better method of cooling the system. Maybe they need a larger case, more fans, or a larger heatsink. I'll keep holding off for a while.

I remember looking at pictures of the Elite's PCB when it first came out. L O L, what a lame "fix" for a serious problem, which is obviously the BGA connections forming cold solder joints.

Glueing a chip down will only be a temporary fix. Even if it's 6 or 7 years before the glue starts to expand or break down from the heat, that will surely stop the 360 from being any sort of *retro* console since none of them will be working at that point.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
68k said:
I remember looking at pictures of the Elite's PCB when it first came out. L O L, what a lame "fix" for a serious problem, which is obviously the BGA connections forming cold solder joints.

Glueing a chip down will only be a temporary fix. Even if it's 6 or 7 years before the glue starts to expand or break down from the heat, that will surely stop the 360 from being any sort of *retro* console since none of them will be working at that point.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. MS needs to get rid of that heat. What was it something like around 128 degrees? Not good. I'm even looking at my graphics chip temp monitor. The core has a default slowdown threshold of 120 degrees. So if my GPU core is lower than 360's vent temp of an XBox that can't be good.

I don't know about most people, but a system IMHO should be reliable for at least 5 years. I don't want to worry about buying an extended warranty. I never buy it for anything else I buy.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
ironish said:
That's pretty much what I was thinking. MS needs to get rid of that heat. What was it something like around 128 degrees? Not good. I'm even looking at my graphics chip temp monitor. The core has a default slowdown threshold of 120 degrees. So if my GPU core is lower than 360's vent temp of an XBox that can't be good.

I don't know about most people, but a system IMHO should be reliable for at least 5 years. I don't want to worry about buying an extended warranty. I never buy it for anything else I buy.

128F is not bad actually, for a core temp. Most CPUs have a thermal threshold in the 75-95C range.

If 128F is the tempurature of the exhaust heat, that probably isn't good. I wouldn't be surprised it the 360's CPU and GPU temps average 70-80C during gameplay.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
68k said:
128F is not bad actually, for a core temp. Most CPUs have a thermal threshold in the 75-95C range.

If 128F is the tempurature of the exhaust heat, that probably isn't good. I wouldn't be surprised it the 360's CPU and GPU temps average 70-80C during gameplay.
Your average x86 or x64 CPU isn't supposed to run hotter than 60C for any period of time. I don't know about PPC specifcally, but it can't be much different.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
68k said:

Well I don't know if it is a lame fix, time will tell. Epoxy has very high temperature resistance (400 degrees?), and it is commonly used in electronics/circuitry board. Hopefully the elite will not have the dreaded red ring of death!

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
First of all they're using 90nm and a processor that seems the equivalent of an old hot as hell P4. Not only is this system unreliable but its loud to. What they need to do is switch to 65nm and thus save on energy consumption and improve the systems efficiency I imagine with this they could tone down the fan noise also.

Definetly not a retro machine, though to be honest it seems that all systems lately, cd systems basically have a tendency to die though usually not until sometime after a new one has replaced them.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
jdotaku said:
Definetly not a retro machine, though to be honest it seems that all systems lately, cd systems basically have a tendency to die though usually not until sometime after a new one has replaced them.

Agree, the only exception is the Saturn. That thing is built like a tank!!

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
jdotaku said:
First of all they're using 90nm and a processor that seems the equivalent of an old hot as hell P4. Not only is this system unreliable but its loud to. What they need to do is switch to 65nm and thus save on energy consumption and improve the systems efficiency I imagine with this they could tone down the fan noise also.

It's too bad since the 360 is about to get some really good games. I'm especially interested in what Forza 2 plays like, since I love driving sims. It also has the Ferrari Enzo and Saleens!

As far as the current gen being retro machines, yeah we can all forget about it. I used to cover all of my system's with small towels to keep the dust out when the systems were off. Both my PS3 and Wii get hot even when the systems are turned off. So I can't cover them any more (it sucks because I hate dust in the crevices).

I wouldn't be surprised if even PS3's would start failing in large numbers later on. If you feel the right side, after it's been running for a bit, the thing vents pretty hot as well. I'm guessing it's massive fan cooling both GPU and CPU is what's keeping it more reliable so far.

PS3 Dissasembly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdB2qQPv7LI

But still there's not a whole hell of a lot of room in in any system's case. Trying to scrunch a fairly powerful PC into a tiny case does not bode well for reliability.