Ghostlop, "Official" Meg-Count?

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
As I'm looking to re-color a ShockBox insert, I ran into a 3-way discrepancy on this.

The inserts on SouthTown are labeled "78 Megs", Billy Pitt's page says "The game is indeed 98 megs." Finally, by my count of the ROM binaries we have 11,796,480 bytes or 90 Megabits.

I could see maybe 98 sprawling across pre-defined chip sizes, with 90 megabits worth of actual code. Where'd 78 come from though?

Is there a consistent (if not accurate) method of totaling meg-counts around here? :)

Thoughts, Opinions?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's 90 megabits. I think some might have done the NCI method of calculating by what chip they used and not what the actual data is.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
It's 90 megabits. I think some might have done the NCI method of calculating by what chip they used and not what the actual data is.
Thank you sir.
In that case, assuming there's size flexibility for chips used in unofficial releases, it seems best to base meg-counts on game data (to be consistent with all carts).

I'm also assuming official releases all used the same larger-than-necessary chip configurations. So I'll stick with the officially sanctioned, chip size based inflated meg-counts for them. :D

Unless I missed something...