For a CMVS: would you rather use Neo Geo or SNES controllers?

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I did basically the same thing to mine.

neostick10.JPG
I did mine up in the exact same way as yours, heck I think I might have even used the same parts as you without knowing it!

But anyway, I'd go with a Neo stick. The NGCD pads are nice and I'd love to have a pair, but there's something to be said about using a stick with nice quality parts for Neo Geo games.

hungar

n00b
I did basically the same thing to mine.

neostick10.JPG

That looks great. I assume it's the 24mm Semitsu buttons? Totally going to do this.

Back on topic I can't imagine using anything less than an AES stick I also have a modded HS 0136 Virtua Stick that works great.

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
I vote for the arcade controller. Even more because of the easy Neo Geo controller pinout. Once you choose the right stick and buttons, the next thing is only to enjoy :)

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Would those be the snap in or screw in seimitsu 24mm buttons? Been considering swapping out the stock buttons on my aes pads.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
hm, I have screw ins (Seimitsu PS-14-DN, black) and they fit and work great.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I used snap-in Sanwa OBSFs on mine along with a Sanwa LB-35 balltop.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Thanks for the info guys. Now to decide whether to go with all black buttons or the neo red/yellow/green/blue ones :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That is so gorgeous. Is it possible to fit a model sanwa/semitsu stick in there with a chrome shaft + red ball top?

A JLF fits in there with some modding. I don't think any Semitsus can fit in there though.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Not mine anymore. It's 8Man's now. I would have done it in solid colors like the other one in this thread, but the local store that sells buttons didn't have non-clear colored ones.

That really does help, thanks! I'm a sucker for that all black configuration. Is it worth replacing the stick too? What would be the best replacement stick to go for, keeping the original look and feel? The stock stick doesn't bother me much, but the buttons certainly do.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I think the original stick is pretty good, but yeah I've never been a fan of the original buttons. The balltop is certainly worth replacing though, it really changes the feel of the stick.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The original stick to me is good, it just needs some small changes to make it great. I'd fully clean and regrease the assembly, add in a washer on the shaft to tighten it up and maybe put it an oversized actuator.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Solid advice, much appreciated as always!

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I like the neo geo pad & sticks. The next stick I use on my CMVS will be a homemade stick though.

I wouldn't do the SNES pad, because I find it not so good for fighting games (and I first learned to play street fighter on one!). I would prefer a Saturn pad over that...

Controllers are very personal though. You gotta do what's comfortable for you :)

+1
I had SNES pads modded for DB15 but got rid of them - too small and didn't really do justice to the arcade feel, moreover I find that a lot of these converted pads develop issues with the Start and Select buttons when modded, meaning they either fail to work or need to be pressed really hard to work. I would prefer either a Saturn or Genesis 6 button pad.
I like the Neo Geo CD pads - they feel robust and the clicky microswitched dpad nicely recreates the feel of an arcade joystick. That said the dpads have been known to fail over time.
The original NG sticks are nice, although some are pretty worn out these days. A good option also is to convert a current arcade stick e.g. Madcatz or Hori for DB15.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
+1
I had SNES pads modded for DB15 but got rid of them - too small and didn't really do justice to the arcade feel, moreover I find that a lot of these converted pads develop issues with the Start and Select buttons when modded, meaning they either fail to work or need to be pressed really hard to work. I would prefer either a Saturn or Genesis 6 button pad.
I like the Neo Geo CD pads - they feel robust and the clicky microswitched dpad nicely recreates the feel of an arcade joystick. That said the dpads have been known to fail over time.
The original NG sticks are nice, although some are pretty worn out these days. A good option also is to convert a current arcade stick e.g. Madcatz or Hori for DB15.

The hard pressing is usually because when people mod them they solder way too close to the pads and it doesn't close the switch when pushed.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
The original stick to me is good, it just needs some small changes to make it great. I'd fully clean and regrease the assembly, add in a washer on the shaft to tighten it up and maybe put it an oversized actuator.
This. If you can find one, a new spring might also be a good idea.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I'm only getting by with the Neo CD pads for my CMVS and for a stick, this seems like the way to go. Would looooove to get one of those modiefied AES sticks.

ulyses31

Crazed MVS Addict
As for the arcade sticks I was looking for the old style but also heard about the hori fighting stick (I or II, I don't really know the difference) but I don't know if it's better then the old style or I shouldn't spend money buying the hori...?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
As for the arcade sticks I was looking for the old style but also heard about the hori fighting stick (I or II, I don't really know the difference) but I don't know if it's better then the old style or I shouldn't spend money buying the hori...?

I prefer the Hori over the Neo stick. Both sticks take some work to get a JLF in them but both are worth the time. I prefer the Hori because of it's weight.