Fist of the Blue Sky

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Reading through the anime thread, I noticed we have a few fans of Hokuto no Ken in the house. So, on that note, have any of you folks read the prequel Fist of the Blue Sky?

I had originally wrote this manga off after only reading two installments in the Raijin weekly comic because the action didn't get no where near the levels of Fist of the Northstar. However, just last week, I found myself back at my favorite comic shop in town (used to go there once a week, now it's more like once in a blue moon) with some money burning a hole in my pocket. I saw the second of two collected volumes of FotBS, and figured: "Why not? Hara's art is sure to please either way." I picked up the first about 30 minutes later at another shop.

Let me tell you, I'm kicking my own ass for even thinking about writing this series off. Sure, it's not FotNS, but it is damn fine story telling coupled with Tetsuo Hara's masterful and always cool artwork. I can't wait for the release of volume 3.

What about ya'll? Any fans of Fist of the Blue Sky?

Shinji

Gai's Trainer
I got the 0 Raijin issue, too expensive for me to get though frown

Huxley

Fu'un-Ken Master
Shinji:
I got the 0 Raijin issue, too expensive for me to get though :(
Me too. I loved FotNS (both comic and animation), so hopefully I'll be picking up the GNs sometime in the future. Anyone know how long the series is?

BIG

sony fanboy
I need to check that out.

I've been an avid anime fan since the early '80's. FotNS happens to be one of my favorites.

What exactly is FotBS about? I heard that it's supposed to be the prequel to FotNS,right?

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'm reading it now! I got Raijin issues 1-15 and some a few random issues after that. I picked up Fist of the Blue Sky vol. 1 and 2 graphic novels just to have the stories in one book. I don't know if vol. 3 is out yet. I can't find it anywhere. They need to hurry up!!!

Lou MY DROOG! I've been shamelessly promoting SOTEN NO KEN (Fist of the Blue Sky) since it came out in these parts here at NG.COM, and it's the shiznits. As a long time fan of the original series I just had to get into it. Though I'm dying to see the animated versions that have been made as well.

MD20XX / Storm Rider

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
Fist of the Blue Sky animated?! Consider me there! Thanks for the head's up MD!

Me too. I loved FotNS (both comic and animation), so hopefully I'll be picking up the GNs sometime in the future. Anyone know how long the series is?
Are you talking about Fist of the North Star, or Blue Sky? Fist of the North Star went for 27 (thick) volumes in Japan. I'm a proud owner of all these collected works, now if only I could easily read the things! :p Blue Sky, I don't know how long, because it's supposedly getting ran concurrent here with it's release in Japan.

What exactly is FotBS about? I heard that it's supposed to be the prequel to FotNS,right?
Yes it is. The story takes place in 1970, yet the memories Ryuken reflects on start in 1935. So, to keep it simple, Blue Sky happens in 1935. I don't want to talk too much and possibly spoil something, but the political and social commentary is pretty deep, compared to North Star anyway. Don't expect a splatterfest right off the bat like in North Star, and you won't be let down like I almost was.

They need to hurry up!!!
Agreed. I'm chomping at the bit anticipating volume 3. If volumes 1 and 2 are any indication, Blue Sky is going to be one hell of a terrific ride! :)

*edit* I'm sorry, I stand corrected. A man named Kasumi Ramon is the one doing the flashbacks. Ryuken is a kid during the flashbacks, so somehow I got my wires crossed in typing that. Wait until you see a young Ryuken in action. This kid kicks butt!

<small>[ September 07, 2003, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Lou Gojira ]</small>

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
I love Soten No Ken. I like it alot more than Hokuto No Ken, mainly because the Kenshiro on Blue Sky is a lot more of a badass than the Kenshiro in North Star. North Star guy is kinda dull if you ask me. But Blue Sky guy, he's almost as badass as Jotarou Kujo (from JoJo's Bizarred Adventures, generation 3).

And Hara Tetsuo's artwork kicks much ass. This shading is spectacular.

And I didn't know there was a Soten No Ken anime. I have seen Shin Hokuto No Ken. But that's still not Soten No Ken.

Jotarou Kujo Vs Kenshiro Kasumi (62nd one)... Who'd win? loco

<small>[ September 08, 2003, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: 300wins ]</small>