First PS2 KOF 2000/2001 review in *shudder* game informer

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Yes, the magazine that stated that the king of fighters series started on the neo geo pocket and also stated that the neo geo pocket only had 12 owners (in a metal slug advance preview) is the first to review the new 2-pack.

They gave it a 7.75

Here's the review:

KOF 2000/2001 review fy game informer

"I like to think that by now everyone knows whether or not they like 2-d fighters. There's a pretty clear-cut schism between those who are all about the franchises of yore like this one and those who perfer the next-gen 3-d titles like Soul Calibur. King Of Fighters Isn't going to change that.

The release is a bit of a twist on standard 2-d fare.

"Strikers" (guys who come in just for a hti or two) are part of your team and spice up combat a bit. Multiple strikers (in 2001) can really extend the comboing frenzy. The flow of a round is nice: there wasn't much cheap "kick em when they're down" action going on, but it's really tough to break up a combo once it gets going.

King of Fighters has everything we expect: Command menus, lots and lots of characters, silky control, and combos galore. If you've been craving a good old-school fighter, this will scratch that itch. It won't inspire anyone to forsake Virtua Fighter or Tekken, but for fans who don't already own this on Dreamcast, it's a boon.

Concept: perform a nice act of fan service by bringning the seventh and eighth King of Fighters Titles to the PS2.

Graphics: CHaracter sprites are good, but everything shows it's age.

Sound: If you own a CD player, put it to good use while playing this.

Playability: COntrol is tight and responsive. NEver once did i fling my gamepad in disgust.

Entertainment: If 2-d fighters are your thing, it's great. If not, you won't be converted.

Replay Value- Moderatly high.

Second Opinion - While it hasn't aged all that well visually (the 2001 character models are infested with jaggies) , this KOF package is a great deal for fighter fans. With two titles included, you get alot for your moneym and the team battles set it apart from other classic fighters. Fans of 2D will find much to love here."

Overall 7.75 (by their grading scale that means about a B minus or a C +)

END REVIEW

This magazine really sucks. Seriously, these people are getting paid to write reviews like this that any of us could do better. Their score is on the mark though, as i think most major sites/mags are gonna give it about a B score because of the asthetics.

meh - just noticed, a FOUR FUCKING PARAGRAPH REVIEW on 2 games. :blow_top:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
To say that sprites have "jaggies" shows stupidity right there. Gimme a break. :oh_no:

Spike

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Well, it wasn't well written, but conceptually I think the review was pretty accurate---even fair.

Except when he called them "character models."

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Honestly I expected less.

They went easy on it.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
hmph

well, its not that bad of a review, meaning they didnt shit on KOF and showed somewhat of respect for the best fighting series in existence

but they shouldnt just plant the thought into subconscious minds that if u like 3D or Soul Calibur you will not enjoy this.. i think that hurts for most people don't really think on their own and just follow what others say/do...

but its not a negative review and least there were good things that were said about it and i am glad they noticed that u can combo your ass of in KOF, which is why KOF reigns supreme

combos combos COMBOS

but yeah i did expect a negative review and im glad that it wasnt...not really

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I really didn't expect too much more from them. Though the whole 2001 one sprites showing age is moronic. They must not get that it's because they're from an old system

dbarrett0928

Banned
biased

I dont know about you guys but i think game informer is biased as all hell, they never mention the neo and when they do they get there facts ass backwards. I guess thats gamestop for you as well, at least in the south cali area...

geekabilly

Mickey's Coach
I have the Mag. I thaught it was a very good review.. come on this is a Mag. that gets all the new cutting edge games.. and them doing a review for this game and a good one at that 7.5* that was one of the higest reviews this month.. well back to what i was saying they get all the new games and crazy 3-d crap.. and them giving a good review to a 3 year old game is awesome also this Mag. runs the new snk full page ads and if you read all their columns you can see they prop out SNK alot month to month.. i know this Mag is no EGM..but its getting better and better by the issues... i think its right below EGM now... we should all thank them for doing a review and always supporting SNK.. and what if they are not the best written reviews?? they are targeting 13 yr. old boys.. not the 20-30 yr. old NEO users....:spock:

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
geek, i just am hard on thier reviews after reading sites like www.411mania.com and other magazines that give each game like 2 pages worth of a review.

I am glad they gave it a good review, but GI just stinks IMO.

now GMR, that's a good fucking mag. Their review will be at least a page since they love 2-d fighters (their top 5 fighters of all time list had MOTW as 5, Sam showdown 2 as number 2, and SF third strike as number one. and even though i HATE HATE HATE capcom fighters, i respect the fact that they just didnt put tekken on it and call it a day)

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
First off, Game Informer sucks! Second of all they implied that if you like 3d, this game will not convert you. I think that the younger members of this board show that you can be born into the playstation generation, and still fall in love with the neo.

The review I am waiting for is Gamespot.com. They are the only major game publication that I have ever seen that digs on the neo. As a matter of fact, if any are intersted, there is a great video on gamespot.com of Greg Kasavin juicing over the Neo home system as the greatest game system ever made. There is some great SamSho 2 footage in it as well.:buttrock:

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Damn straight we can still fall in love with 2D ^_^

Although... Soul Calibur 2 had me hooked for a while :P

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
Oh, absolutely! I really like SCII, and virtual fighter 4: evolution. But I consider them and 2d fighters a seperate type of game. That is why I believe that all generations of gamers can love with the pure fun that is the Neo-Geo. These game publication seem to have the mindset that if it isn't pushing bone crushing amounts of poly's, it is "showing it's age".

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
The flow of a round is nice: there wasn't much cheap "kick em when they're down" action going on, but it's really tough to break up a combo once it gets going.

uh, you're not supposed to be able to break up a combo once it gets going, otherwise it ain't a combo??

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
evo7_31 said:
uh, you're not supposed to be able to break up a combo once it gets going, otherwise it ain't a combo??

CCCCCCCCCCCCCcCOMBOO BREAKER!!!!

lolz, i guess they want KOF to be like killer instinct cause i cant think of a damn other fighter that lets you break a combo (not counting the one reprieve blast move you can do in guilty gear X 2)

though you CAN sway your body weight away in SC2

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Game Informer has always been horrifically ignorant of SNK's history and its franchises (in one of their quizes they said SNK was created in 1990 by former Capcom employees :p), but they've always been fair and somewhat positive when it came to reviewing their games. I still have the issue when they reviewed Last Blade 2 for the DC, and they gave it an 8.5. Of course, they had the horrible gall to say that the music in LB2 made them puke, which pretty much invalidated anything they had to say about it afterwards to me.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
I've said it once, and I'll say it again........GAME INFORMER EATS ASS!!!!!

gatsu25

Galford's Armourer
GI does suck, I started getting them for free somehow and started not even reading them. Id rather pay for Edge!

rebellion1

Mr. Big's Thug
Fygee said:
Game Informer has always been horrifically ignorant of SNK's history and its franchises (in one of their quizes they said SNK was created in 1990 by former Capcom employees :p), but they've always been fair and somewhat positive when it came to reviewing their games. I still have the issue when they reviewed Last Blade 2 for the DC, and they gave it an 8.5. Of course, they had the horrible gall to say that the music in LB2 made them puke, which pretty much invalidated anything they had to say about it afterwards to me.

BLARG. how the fuck could they not like the music in LB2? i actually got the original soundtrack for it (im looking for the arranged as well).

The 8.5 is good however, seeing as it was censored to hell. I love my japanese version :D

Anyway, the 7.75 is good, and im glad they didnt just say it was old so it was shitty. I bet PSM or one of the ps only mags will say somethin like that though.

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
Today I read the short blurb about it in Game Informer, they said these two gaems originated on the "Neo Geo Pocket Color". Where do they get the wizards for these sites/mags, love it.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
rebellion1 said:
I bet PSM or one of the ps only mags will say somethin like that though.

I doubt it (they gave KoF '99 an 8/10 a few years ago),
but then again, PSM's reliability has been declining little
by little as of late...

Black Noah

Another Striker
Kid Aphex said:
Well, it wasn't well written, but conceptually I think the review was pretty accurate---even fair.

Except when he called them "character models."

I agree.

That review is totally fair, straight down the middle. I agree with everything they said there.

Game Informer is a good source for reviews in my eyes, because they usually give a game the score that I am thinking it deserves (usually within .50).

Jim is hot

Cheng's Errand Boy
question

What editor wrote this review? I used to subscribe and I know Chet was a huge SF/Samurai Spirits fan...

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
rebellion1 said:
Anyway, the 7.75 is good, and im glad they didnt just say it was old so it was shitty. I bet PSM or one of the ps only mags will say somethin like that though.
I have the PSM with the review of it. It got great marks and good lip service. It seemed uninformed, but still it praised the game.

I don't remember the review it was given, but I don't think that it gave #'s.

Amix

Benimaru's Hairdresser
rebellion1 said:
BLARG. how the fuck could they not like the music in LB2? i actually got the original soundtrack for it (im looking for the arranged as well).

A lot of people I know don't dig the tunes in the LB series, and consider it its weakest point.

I prefer its minimalism, but I can see where others come from. I mean, just look at SS. . .those are some sword fighting tunes :buttrock:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'm glad it was covered.

For people who are 2D fighting game fans and not members of this site yet, that review might help make them aware of a potential purchase they will make.

Hence the article is a success.