Finally Got My Taito Egret Working!

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Well, the cab hadn't been cranked up in years so I did some dusting/cleaning inside and out.

Turned it on and the monitor was totally out of wack. Looked garbled to say the least.

I hit the degauze(sp?)button and tweaked the settings on the monitor and voila! It's a thing of beauty! Now I just need to repaint the monitor frame!

But I have a question.

I saw that the metal control panel was removable. How can I change it to a 6 button style and where can I buy new control panels for it?

Here are some pics

DSCN2082.jpg

DSCN2084.jpg

Circa2113

Duck King's DJ
10 Year Member
Nice looking cab, congrats on getting it working.

I'd imagine finding the control panels for an original egret would be pretty hard these days. You may have to do some customization to what you have.:crying:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
look on yahoo japan. they pop up every now and again on there.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
My buddy was shutting down his arcade and I picked up the SF1 cabinet for $100 and he gave me the Taito for free because he couldn't figure out how to get the sounds to work or get the monitor to display correctly(impatience?)

I went to this site http://www.solvalou.com/arcade_egret.php

and found out how to get the mono sound to work by just disconnecting one little connector.

The control panel that guy has on his Taito is exacly what I am looking for.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Question.

Why does my monitor look garbled when I start it up cold? It looks like the H-hold is maxed out and the v-hold is going nuts. After about 15-20 mins it looks fine and stabilizes.

jsjesse said:
Question.

Why does my monitor look garbled when I start it up cold? It looks like the H-hold is maxed out and the v-hold is going nuts. After about 15-20 mins it looks fine and stabilizes.

Chances are that your monitor chassis is going bad. I had the exact same problem with a SEGA New Astro City that I bought from Matsu. the monitor will look garbled after the first 15-20 minutes and then it stabilized. After a while the garble issue got worse in that it took 30 minutes up to an hour to get the monitor stabilized.

The solution to my problem was to replace the monitor chassis. And since I had to replace the monitor chassis, I just upgraded to a try-sinc one.

Charles

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Sorry for the noobness but what part is the monitor chassis?

you mean the whole monitor?

norton9478 said:
It probably just needs a recap...

It might need a recap kit or not. Chances are that the chassis is simply going bad.
It is my understanding that cap kits are used when you experience color bleeds, but I could be wrong.

I know that in my case, it was a chassis problem due to the fact that I was having the garbling issue everytime I turned my cab on. And when fellow member Dave_K replaced the chassis for me, we saw that one piece of the chassis was burned, and it was not a capacitor.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I truly appreciate it. Now where do I find such parts for this cabinet? Are they universal?

Berty

Zero's Secretary
20 Year Member
I love the shape of the original egrett's such a sci-fi look to them. Good work too!

jsjesse said:
Ok, thanks for the info guys. I truly appreciate it. Now where do I find such parts for this cabinet? Are they universal?

For a cap kit, I don't know where you could find one because there is no kit readily available for sale. If you are technically inclided, you could take the chassis out, and write down each capacitor that you have and order them thru DigiKey or other electronics shop. BTW, the capacitors would be the big brown things on the chassis.

Another option would be to have a TV/Monitor repair technician to take a look at the chassis and repair it, but chances are that it could be expensive.

Another option, which will pay by itself in the long run, will be to replace the chassis. You can try e-mailing Cosmicco (http://home.netvigator.com/~cosmicco/), or Excellent (http://www.excellentcom.net/) and ask them if they have a monitor chassis for a Taito Egret 29.

If everything fails, you can go to the forums at Killer Cabs (www.killercabs.com) as this site has a lot of members that could give you a lot of help with your cab needs.

Charles