Final Fantasy IV Advance Release day thread!

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Well, I just bought this on my lunch break. Won't have time to play it 'till very very late tonight (get off work at 10, and working out after... maybe midnight I'll be able to check it out). Anyone else here dissapointed that they didn't do the same box art from before... just making it a red box with Final Fantays IV on the cover? I can't wait to play this. I've beaten the SNES version.... 6 times? Maybe more? I can tear through the US version in about 12 hours. I can't wait to see all the changes on this one. I haven't played the PSX remakes because I heard there were problems with it... and yet I hear there's slowdown on this. The hell with it, I can't wait anyhow. Will give impressions later.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Spike Spiegel said:
Well, I just bought this on my lunch break. Won't have time to play it 'till very very late tonight (get off work at 10, and working out after... maybe midnight I'll be able to check it out). Anyone else here dissapointed that they didn't do the same box art from before... just making it a red box with Final Fantays IV on the cover? I can't wait to play this. I've beaten the SNES version.... 6 times? Maybe more? I can tear through the US version in about 12 hours. I can't wait to see all the changes on this one. I haven't played the PSX remakes because I heard there were problems with it... and yet I hear there's slowdown on this. The hell with it, I can't wait anyhow. Will give impressions later.

Well its a bit tougher than the old SNES version. I bet its gonna take you a bit longer. I noticed already that you get attacked more and the monsters do more damage.

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Garou[ryu] said:
seriously the guy at 1up.com must be jokeing.........
Agreed. FF2(US) looked fantastic for an early SNES title. Put it next to FF1-3(JP) and it's light years apart.

Spike Spiegel said:
Anyone else here dissapointed that they didn't do the same box art from before... just making it a red box with Final Fantays IV on the cover?
I actually like the classic Japanese gothic art. It makes it feel much more intricate than the easytype US release. They always toned down the difficulty level when porting from JP>US back then, and I usually felt like we were receiving an inferior version.

I can't wait to play this this weekend. Still have my sealed copy on my desk, with my GBA SP many miles away.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
pixeljunkie said:
went to Fry's at lunch and they didn't have it....I refuse to go to Gaystop or EBcrap.

I bet OYashiro gets some.

You have no idea how good that makes me feel. And yes indeed I did get some. In fact I got 4. So we all know what that means. I cant compete with the Target price though. They have it for 26.88 until Saturday....but for those that cant catch that....I have it for $25 + shipping....paypal fee is waived.

O.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
Hee hee, I just noticed in the game they added a reference to 'realultimatepower.net'. In Baron, there's a little kid running around that says "I just can't stop thinking about Dark Knights! They're cool... and by cool, I mean totally sweet!"

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Well, I'm about 4 hours into this game right now. Just trying to sneak back into Baron to save have Cid help me get fina Rosa. Overall, I like it a lot. Mind you I've been playing on my DS. I started to play a bit on the big screen with my GCN. Bad idea. Makes the game not look so hot, when I think back about how FF2 looks on the big screen. The graphics, while looking *better* on the small screen compared to the SNES one looks worse when bigger. Some of the BG art is so damn nice, and looks great small. Can't explain it better than this. The slowdown/lagging/whatever you want to call it isn't as bad as some make it out to sound. In fact, I just take this as a total overhaul. Remade from head to toe. Some magic attacks don't look as good as the old days (all the first level elemental spells, some cures) and some look better (the rest of the elemental spells, and so on). Overall, it's just different.

If you leave it on your GBA or DS, it's a fine game. Very well done, in fact. It's hard not comparing the two. But, when you stop trying and play it by itself, it's a great game. I guess it's like dating an ex-girl friend's sister. Damn they're so similar, but just try not and think about it, and enjoy. :chimp:

PS: Oh, and Spoony Bard was left in!

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Got this today for xmas and have been playing it most of the day. I'm at my favorite part in the game where you get the party of Cid, Cecil, Tellah, and Yang. I thought to slowdown was bad enough to switch from active --> wait. There is little change in the normal battles other than the encounter rate and monsters do slightly more damage to you. The boss battles have been mostly the same with the exception of the two boss fights in baron (the captain and canazzo (sp?) the water fiend elemental) I had a real struggle with the water fiend. My mages kept dying from his wave attack and I kept running out of mp with tellah. The music is faithful to the SNES version although not quite as good (I'm still listening to it with headphones on). I only beat the PS1 remake once, but the translation seems miles better than the SNES. They really censored the SNES one, wow! The added abilites to the characters are nice, but don't make a huge difference. Why did they take out porom and palom's abilities and yang's store energy attack?

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I picked up the JPN release for my GBA Micro yesterday.

First time I have played any version of FFIV, but so far I am loving it.

Going to hit the futon early tonight, and play this where it is warm.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Iori Yashakani said:
49114_1.jpg

sorry for my bad english :buttrock:

Just going back to this, it isn't the deal you may think. You can only get this as a bundle pack that comes with a GBA Micro and FFIV. The faceplate is not available separately. The cost of the pack comes to slightly more than buying a Micro and FFIV separately.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
I am going to play Final Fantasy IV on my GBA player that is attached to my Gamecube because the game looks to small on my DS screen and playing it on my big TV will make it easier to see. You have to put in the GBA player disc in the GC in order for it to work. :D ;)

Btw: I had gotten my ass handed to me in Mario & Luigi 2: Partners in Time DS because I had to fight princess Scroob and then her twin sister who you fight twice. :( :(