Either SNKP or Capcom... Why Cheeseball characters?

After getting my SNK vs. Capcom Chaos game today and playing it most of the afternoon with some droogs at the crib here at NATORM Headquarters, something occured to me, and I'm wondering what you think?

Okay here it is. Whether it's a KOF game, a SNK Vs. Capcom game... or Capcom themselves, What is up with having "Cheeseball characters"? ***Meaning for example, you have all these bad ass mofos, with great character designs and that have fluidity in their approach/execution of their respective "Style". Good characters would be THIS...

Ryu, Ken, Ralf, Clark, Leona, Bob Wilson, Shiki, Iori, Kyo,
Mai Shiranui, Chun Li, Ryo Sakazaki, Robert Garcia, Heidern,
Billy Kane, Genjuro, Haomaru, Kim Kaphwan, Vanessa,
Blue Mary, Guy, Karin Kanzuki, Fei Long, Strider Hiryu,
Gen, Joe Higashi, May Lee, Hattori Hanzo, B.Jenet,
Terry Bogard, Rock Howard, Vice, Mature, Ibuki, ETC.

Characters like this I can understand being in a fighting game. But what is up with the likes of...

Blanka, HUGO, Earthquake, Choi, Bao, Jack, John Crawley,
Kasumi Todo (cute but, I dunno on that one) Yamazaki, ETC.

I ask this because while I understand there has to be a balance of character looks and execution, the problem isn't that at all, it's that most of those characters at least IMO, are all cheap as hell. Their moves are nothing to right home about, and compared to the mastery that is needed for much more complicated "fighters" to me it's just an excuse on the part of the developers to make what I call Filler Characters. In other words we get a roster of X amount of "Cool" characters, and then a bunch of "Filler Characters" that can be used to good measure no doubt, but CHEAP none the less.

It's like I shake my head when I was playing SVC Chaos earlier when I see Final Fight's Poison biker slut come out with HUGO, and I'm like... "I'd rather SNKP just let her be a selectable character with decent moves rather than have that big lug be in the game!" Or even Mike Haggar? Why not some of the other baddies from Final Fight like J.??? And that's just on that game? SO I GUESS MY QUESTION IS DO YOU LIKE "CHEESEBALL CHARACTERS, or would you rather all fighters be different but actually cool to look at and with moves that make sense... not people farting on someone, or doing a simple drop kick (ala' JACK from AOF series) that has his foot flashing on fire and it takes off half your life meter! ???

MERCENARY X99

Last edited:

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
The simple answer is, it's a matter of taste. For instance, most advanced players would agree that KOF Yamazaki is one of the most interesting and cool characters in the whole series, since he has so many good moves and options.

The long answer is, these games aren't just made specifically for you. They're made for a larger audience that will potentially put quarters in the machine or buy the PS2 port. Some people are infuriated by Choi, for instance, because of his squeaky voice and how he prances around, but that's exactly why other people love him (and probably enjoy seeing you get mad). Some people love Kyo because he acts sullen and arrogant and "cool," and that's exactly why some people think he's so lame. Yet both you and these other people can play and enjoy the same game, for different reasons.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
EX_Andy said:
but that's exactly why other people love him (and probably enjoy seeing you get mad). Some people love Kyo because he acts sullen and arrogant and "cool"

That's me.

I just have to say this, it's all about balance/variety. When another flame user appears, everyone is complaining about it, still, at the same time, people don't like this, how you call them, "filler characters"... When will people finally be pleased?

Anyway, I believe that KOF2003 is a game that pretty much lacks of "fillers", even Choi and Chin were left out. Malin is the perfect example of how you can make a not-stereotypical character look good, still, it is good to have "unpredictable" characters in the roster... I've seen people use Chang very efficiently in 2003 as well...

Both good responses, and food for thought. At least you guys didn't get all offended and shit like some did when I posted this exact thread over at S-C.Com *But like on the subject of Choi my problem with him isn't so much his technique it's that he's a freggin' midget! Why didn't SNKP just make CHOI as a playable character like his "Cool" STRIKER version in KOF 2000? Same thing for the Fat dude from Korea with Choi. I've always liked some of his moves, but he looks like an idiot IMO. His Striker character in KOF 2000 should be his regular look. If you're going to have BIG dudes in games, they should at least do "Cool" shit.

...yeah, I hear you on the "Fire Ball" stuff. But there's still a lot of room for newer things without having to go the cheese route. I'm still in the minority on this though. And I won't even get into some of my issues with how particular things are left out in 3-D games like VF4, although that's about as close to perfection as I've ever seen.

MERCENARY X99

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Now that you mention 3D, and now that I think of it... Dead or Alive 3 doesn't have any "fillers"... well, maybe Bass, but not THAT much.

Ilovejapangirls

Mature's Make-up Artist
MegaDrive Hugo is VERY great to play with

in SVC especially

since he can combo his qcb A/C to hcb B/F and then the Megaton Press

or simply qcb A/C 360 C/360 AC

or much more^^'

i prefer him to Zangief....

Ilovejapangirls said:
MegaDrive Hugo is VERY great to play with

in SVC especially

since he can combo his qcb A/C to hcb B/F and then the Megaton Press

or simply qcb A/C 360 C/360 AC

or much more^^'

i prefer him to Zangief....

Well I probably haven't spend enough time trying to master HUGO then. *But still wouldn't you rather have seen Mike Haggar or even one of the Andores (Senior or Jr.) be in this game, possibly utilizing the same moves on specials? HUGO is just too damn big! ---Me I'd rather they have made Poison the biker girl as a fighter representin' for Capcom, that was a great "Offensive" type with fluid control, and some decent RUSH-HIT combos, with a desperation attack that would boggle the mind. I can just imagine the shit talkin' between the characters (especially the women) in SVC Chaos when going up against her.

{MAI} "Oh, and what's Miss biker trash want here?"

{Poison} "Don't judge a book by it's cover missy... I can fight just as well as I please the boys."

{MAI} "And people call me a slut!"

{Poison} "Shee it bitch, we gonna' fight or discuss fashion tips?"

{MAI} "If you call what you're wearing fashion. HA HA HA!"

{Poison} "Leather skirts never go outta' style, now bring it bitch!"

... You can't tell me that wouldn't have been BAD ASS! *Trieu was mentioning that SVC Chaos II is coming out, and that SNKP reads those boards... so maybe we'll see this yet, or something equally cool.

MERCENARY X99

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
MD, you know I love you man, but don't you be dissin Hugo!!!! :mad_2:

Hugo is the defacto shit. I know he's low tier in SvC, but I don't care, the mofo can win if you play him right (read-cheap enough).

I'd hardly call him someone who has no style, the man is simply a grappler, and a very good one at that.

The reason he's so friggin huge is because SNKP ripped his ass out of SF3 which has him drawn at a higher resolution.

I mean yeah Kyo and Iori are "cool", but Hugo is just there as this monsterous mofo who's ready to deal some damage to the idiot who decides to get anywhere close. Plus he's got such great pokes from afar, and the ability to have all 3 supers at his disposal is awesome.

Still SvC Hugo is like a bastardized version of him. He's got more speed than in 3S, but god damn overall he sucks compared to the cast of overbearing characters. You need to play some SF3: Third Strike on DC to really know just how friggin badass he truly is.

JHendrix said:

Hugo is the defacto shit. I know he's low tier in SvC, but I don't care, the mofo can win if you play him right (read-cheap enough).

I'd hardly call him someone who has no style, the man is simply a grappler, and a very good one at that.

The reason he's so friggin huge is because SNKP ripped his ass out of SF3 which has him drawn at a higher resolution.

I mean yeah Kyo and Iori are "cool", but Hugo is just there as this monsterous mofo who's ready to deal some damage to the idiot who decides to get anywhere close. Plus he's got such great pokes from afar, and the ability to have all 3 supers at his disposal is awesome.

Still SvC Hugo is like a bastardized version of him. He's got more speed than in 3S, but god damn overall he sucks compared to the cast of overbearing characters. You need to play some SF3: Third Strike on DC to really know just how friggin badass he truly is.

Well with all the fanfare directed HUGOs way I'll be going back to the crib to play him for the next couple of hours (since I ain't got shit to do today either). ---I never played him in SFTS so I didn't know about that. *And thanks for the elaboration on him being so darned HUGE. (Man Poison's gotta' be one loose chick takin' that wang)

:lol:

You can't tell me though, that the biker chick fighter thing with Poison wouldn't be helluva a cool concept though? Somewhere controlling between Mai and Shermie. ---Special Combo Attack, involving a feight... a bum rush dash slam, followed up by a multitude of kicks, a gouge to the eyes with her nails, and then she hand cuffs you to something and plummets you another 4-RUSH HIT, before jumping back to defense. MAN I WISH SNKP would read my ideas on this for a little variety!

...now I'll play some more with Hugo for the time being, since I'm evidently missing out on something. :( Thing is I can't get any of the usual controller moves to work with him.

MERCENARY X99

...soon to be offically starting from
Zero once 4 deals with members here
are completed.

JHendrix

MegaDrive20XX said:
Well with all the fanfare directed HUGOs way I'll be going back to the crib to play him for the next couple of hours (since I ain't got shit to do today either). ---I never played him in SFTS so I didn't know about that. *And thanks for the elaboration on him being so darned HUGE. (Man Poison's gotta' be one loose chick takin' that wang)

:lol:

You can't tell me though, that the biker chick fighter thing with Poison wouldn't be helluva a cool concept though? Somewhere controlling between Mai and Shermie. ---Special Combo Attack, involving a feight... a bum rush dash slam, followed up by a multitude of kicks, a gouge to the eyes with her nails, and then she hand cuffs you to something and plummets you another 4-RUSH HIT, before jumping back to defense. MAN I WISH SNKP would read my ideas on this for a little variety!

...now I'll play some more with Hugo for the time being, since I'm evidently missing out on something. :( Thing is I can't get any of the usual controller moves to work with him.

MERCENARY X99

...soon to be offically starting from
Zero once 4 deals with members here
are completed.

Poison will never be a selectable character. The whole controversy over he/she being a transvestite and all kinda cemented that. :(

Hugo is not your normal rushdown type char, obviously.

Useful tip: Get in CLOSE and do his HCB+D, he'll throw the person against the wall. Immediately do QCFx2+D to follow it up with his Megaton Press super.

When I play Hugo that's the setup I go for the most. Well that, the 360+P throw, and the 720+P exceede. :D

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Megadrive, you brought up a good question: why NOT Haggar? like the oldschool one with the dresspants and the strap over one shoulder...pure vintage is what that shit is...

kinda makes me wish Capcom released a new Final Fight, only make Rolento and Sodom teamates this time 'round.

This is good topic so I think I'll throw in my two cents. As far as character designs go I like a balanced roster. I like a good mix of stereotypical and over the top style characters. Its probably one of the reasons why I really got into KOF because its usually balanced in this way. You've got someone like Ryo or Takuma or Kim on one end of the spectrum and someone like Choi or Benimaru or Kula on the other, with a lot of other characters who are somewhere in between. Still, whats been kind of pissing me off lately is that there are more and more games coming out that are just straight up over the top. Like Guilty Gear IMO. It seems that every character in this series is some kind of Gothy Fruity Metrosexual, with very few characters that are your run of the mill stereotypical martial artist for their respective style. The latter is probably pretty boring to a lot of people, but I personally enjoy more traditional looking characters, and with these types in the game it makes the more over the top characters stand out more, thus creating the balance. I think SvC is pretty good in terms of roster, the SNK side especially. Granted I would have liked to have seen Ralf or Clark, or Yamazaki, or some of my other favorites but, I must say that the SNK characters they gave us are a nice mix. The Capcom side leaves a little more to be desired, as in there are just way too many of the original SFII characters in there and not enough from other capcom games. BTW I think Hugo was an interesting choice. Haggar would have been great, but I still think its interesting they picked Hugo over say Zangief(and I would have been cool with Gief too.) My two cents

JHendrix said:
Poison will never be a selectable character. The whole controversy over he/she being a transvestite and all kinda cemented that. :(

Whaaaaaaaaaat? TRANSEXUAL? ---That's straight up a biker chick ho, no doubt about it! What controversy? I'd like to read up on this. Because with all the Hentai out there practically evey fighting game chick is a "Dick Girl" or something outlandishly weird. Or are you going off the substituted Sid & Billy in lieu of Roxy & Poison? If they were "cunts" back in '90 when Final Fight hit the arcades, since when did they grow a "Dick"? ***I ain't mad or anything, just wondering where this information is to be had on either of the two biker girls from the F.F. games. And I'd much rather still see her, or Roxy put in as a figther. I think the fact that it won't happen has more to do with ain't no game company got the balls to front up a character like that... (wait a second.... Hmm... VICE maybe?). Too bad I can't get with some MAD programmers and get the rights to some of these IP's... I'd head up in the visual concept design department a freggin' 2-D slobber knocker that fuckin' put to bed anything I've seen yet. All the darkness of SVC Chaos to the 3rd power amigo! Oh well... a man can dream can't he? Haggar should at least be in one of the games.

MERCENARY X99

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
SonGohan said:
Man, having Rolento, Guy, and Haggar would rock.

Someone get Capcom on the phone... it looks like we got a good idea on our hands here...

JHendrix

MegaDrive20XX said:
Whaaaaaaaaaat? TRANSEXUAL? ---That's straight up a biker chick ho, no doubt about it! What controversy? I'd like to read up on this. Because with all the Hentai out there practically evey fighting game chick is a "Dick Girl" or something outlandishly weird. Or are you going off the substituted Sid & Billy in lieu of Roxy & Poison? If they were "cunts" back in '90 when Final Fight hit the arcades, since when did they grow a "Dick"? ***I ain't mad or anything, just wondering where this information is to be had on either of the two biker girls from the F.F. games. And I'd much rather still see her, or Roxy put in as a figther. I think the fact that it won't happen has more to do with ain't no game company got the balls to front up a character like that... (wait a second.... Hmm... VICE maybe?). Too bad I can't get with some MAD programmers and get the rights to some of these IP's... I'd head up in the visual concept design department a freggin' 2-D slobber knocker that fuckin' put to bed anything I've seen yet. All the darkness of SVC Chaos to the 3rd power amigo! Oh well... a man can dream can't he? Haggar should at least be in one of the games.

MERCENARY X99

MD, no one is more confused or upset about this than I am, but here's the most convincing thing from "The Street Fighter Plot Canon Guide Ver. 2.6" :

POISON

(Bio not available)

Final Fight 1: A friend of Andore Jr, Poison fought alongside him most of the time during Final Fight 1 [Official]. Other than that, I dunno. Poison was a generic enemy, for crying out loud.

Final Fight Revenge: Mad Gear isn't around anymore to bail Poison out whenever Poison gets in trouble, anymore. That's no fun! Worried about being jailed for her crimes because Edi. E is now going after Mad Gear members in a mad attempt to get a promotion, Poison sets Cody up for the fall, instead. Distraught, she thinks about how Cody would have never loved anyone besides Jessica, because she herself likes Cody [Conjecture based on in-game storyline].

Street Fighter 3 Double Impact and Third Strike: Well, Poison's friend, Hugo Andore, has decided to go legit. They give up crime and now Andore wants to become a pro wrestler! Poison is his manager [Official].

Where Is 'She' Now: Probably still Hugo's manager.

Miscellaneous Facts and Notes

Poison is a "new-half", meaning a person who got a sex change. Poison is a GUY. A guy with breasts, but a guy. This is official. This has been official EVER SINCE FINAL FIGHT ONE EXISTED. However, most USA players wouldn't know this at all, due to lack of storyline publications in the US and the fact that Poison didn't even EXIST in Final Fight One for the USA version. Capcom of USA thought that Poison was a girl (they STILL didn't know she was a guy by Final Fight Revenge, for crying out loud), so when Final Fight 1 came to the US, they changed Poison and 'her' pallet swap, Roxy, into generic male punks, Billy and Sid, because censorship was high back then and they feared people wouldn't like the idea of hitting girls.

Poison and Roxy in the planning stages of game were female. But a rep from Capcom USA told the developers in Japan that USA won't like guys hitting girls. So before the game came out, Poison and Roxy became new-halfs. Capcom of USA didn't realize this and thus changed Poison and Roxy to Billy and Sid, anyways. Methinks someones' got a communication problem, there...

Poison's voice in Final Fight 1 sounds like a guy trying to sound like a girl. This is most likely done on purpose, because Poison was a guy in Final Fight.

If you think Poison can't be a guy just because 'she' looks so 'woman', no offense, but you really need to study up on Japanese Anime culture some more...

Poison MIGHT have gotten a sex change for Final Fight Revenge and is now a girl and not a guy (All About Capcom states "Could he finally went and have gotten a sex change?" or something like that). As stated, Capcom of USA still didn't know that 'she' was a guy, so they made her a girl when they made Final Fight Revenge. Capcom of Japan seems to have decided to go with that, and officially state that she possibly got a sex change and became a full-fledged woman for Final Fight Revenge and beyond. Her voice in Street Fighter 3 is a lot more realistically female than her voice in Final Fight One, that's for sure.

Poison and Andore Jr. are good friends. This is why Andore Jr. is the most likely Andore to be Hugo Andore of Street Fighter 3.

Poison and Hugo fight and bicker a lot, but they still get along really well.

In Final Fight Revenge, Poison seems to have fallen in love with Cody (again, silly Capcom of USA didn't realize that she was a he, but Capcom of Japan seems to have decided to possibly use that as an excuse to say that storyline wise, Poison got a sex-change by FFR).

Um... I've been having trouble finding out if her official last name is Kiss or if that's just fancanon. Sorry

Link for source (scroll down a lot for Poison's bio)

JHendrix said:
MD, no one is more confused or upset about this than I am, but here's the most convincing thing from "The Street Fighter Plot Canon Guide Ver. 2.6" :

Link for source (scroll down a lot for Poison's bio)

{Mercenary X99 looks to the dark sky above.}

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

{Mercenary X99 uses his "Burn Knuckle" on the Capcom staff}

Hokuto-no-MercX99.jpg

... We've been lied to! I was tricked by a Tranny??? {In Charleton Heston's voice}

"Damn you to HELL, Capcom personnel who did this!"

***Reminds me of that question in the war room... Would you sodomize a hot transexual? ---Well we've been HAD MAN! Thing is though, the character might have been a man before, but is a woman now... so why's that controversial enough to not warrant the character as "Selectable" character role? With all the Gay stuff being the norm in mainstream America and the world now a days you'd think this wouldn't be an issue. **On the second note as well... THIS IS JAPAN we're talking about. This is the country that brings back Gojira after many deaths, and decides to conviently FORGET things when they want to. Why should this be any different. ---Mainly I'm pissed off more at the fact this information wasn't readily available (back story wise on any character for that matter) rather than finding out Poison is a former swinging dick. ---Damn though, why'd they have to make her look so freggin' hot in that slutty way though?

Oh well... Thanks for the info drop J.Hendrix.

MERCENARY X99

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Great "Barnackle"!

Capcom needs more character with such... "dark" and secret pasts... I just hope Chun-li Xiang and Kasugano Sakura aren't this... "dark"...

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
I knew poison was a tranny for quite some time now....I found out on THIS site

http://kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/search.asp

tells about every character of every fighting game char ever made

....Its the same site the told me Zangief is indeed a HOMOSEXUAL...all those big hairy bear refernces seemed too convenient, but there are other reasons, and Capcom officially says he is gay....so....
CHECK IT!
YOU BETTER BELIEVE
I AM A NEOGEO FREAK!
WERD!

JHendrix

MegaDrive20XX said:
{Mercenary X99 looks to the dark sky above.}

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

{Mercenary X99 uses his "Burn Knuckle" on the Capcom staff}

Hokuto-no-MercX99.jpg

... We've been lied to! I was tricked by a Tranny??? {In Charleton Heston's voice}

"Damn you to HELL, Capcom personnel who did this!"

***Reminds me of that question in the war room... Would you sodomize a hot transexual? ---Well we've been HAD MAN! Thing is though, the character might have been a man before, but is a woman now... so why's that controversial enough to not warrant the character as "Selectable" character role? With all the Gay stuff being the norm in mainstream America and the world now a days you'd think this wouldn't be an issue. **On the second note as well... THIS IS JAPAN we're talking about. This is the country that brings back Gojira after many deaths, and decides to conviently FORGET things when they want to. Why should this be any different. ---Mainly I'm pissed off more at the fact this information wasn't readily available (back story wise on any character for that matter) rather than finding out Poison is a former swinging dick. ---Damn though, why'd they have to make her look so freggin' hot in that slutty way though?

Oh well... Thanks for the info drop J.Hendrix.

MERCENARY X99

Heh, I knew about this but at the same time disagreed with it, but I posted it anyway just so I could see your reaction. :p

Thing is if you look at it logically, she was designed as a woman first and then the execs told them that hitting women in the US would be like bad, so they said “Uh ok we’ll make her a tranny” since they could just change the voice, the art was already done.

So one could make the argument that from conception she was a woman, all the tranny stuff was just made up by THE MAN trying to mess with shit he shouldn’t have been!

See Capcom USA also thought she was a woman and took her out of the game anyway, and by the time they made the other final fight game, she was a woman. When this was brought up to Capcom of Japan they just kinda went with it saying “um she had a sex change”.

See, if you think about it she always was a woman, and only on paper for the first Final Fight was she ever really called a tranny.

So she’s all good, just close your eyes and pretend none of that BS ever happened. :p

Spoonman said:
I knew poison was a tranny for quite some time now....I found out on THIS site

http://kattuggla.oru.se/dmd01/dm0103/test/search.asp

tells about every character of every fighting game char ever made

....Its the same site the told me Zangief is indeed a HOMOSEXUAL...all those big hairy bear refernces seemed too convenient, but there are other reasons, and Capcom officially says he is gay....so....
CHECK IT!
YOU BETTER BELIEVE
I AM A NEOGEO FREAK!
WERD!

Well SNKP didn't help matters any making Poison look even more of a hottie in SVC Chaos. *Still that must have been one femmine assed looking dude to look that damned good as a woman.

ANYHOW... Looking over that website in your quote above man, I think El Gado should be in the next SVC game along with Rolento and let them settle their differences once and for all, as EL GADO wants control of the "Mercenary" business Rolento is probably no doubt running.

As taken from that website:
-------------------------------------------
El Gado is a follower of Rolento, but he is silently planning his revenge for what Rolento did to his friends back when El Gado was a guerilla fighter somewhere in the Middle East. During Final Fight Revenge he got his chance and attacked Rolento. They did however manage to work out some kind of deal, since El Gado can still be seen together with his leader.
-----------------------------------------------------

Seems to me that be the shiznits. ...And again, with all of the stuff going on these days in the world, I don't think the fact that POISON is a "New Half" is all that bad. We've got a homosexual with Benimaru, a prostitute in Vice... so why not just add Poison to the list. I don't care what the back story says on he/she, I'll always think of her as a chick and a rather sort of cool character in an offish way. Oh well... The More Things change...

MERCENARY X99

Last edited:

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
yeah that would be alright....

but they should really play the openly gay card with Zangief and make him have a crush on E. honda or smething, that would put me in fucking tears every time:buttrock:

btw that thing you said about Benimaru being a poof...check his as well: it says under the QUICKIE FACT heading that he's "straight as needle"(?)

oh well, Its news 2 me

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:

I have to agree with J here, Hugo is a bad mofo, especially in 3s.

His personality and moves are awesome, if you're in a bind in 3s and manage to pull off a Gigas Breaker, you'll turn over the whole match in your favor.

Plus the intro with Alex is awesome.

I like the topic of this thread, but I guess everyone has their own idea of what a filler character is.

btw, Hugo > Zangief