DOOM 4 announced

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
From idsofware.com:

idsofware.com said:
Production has begun on DOOM 4™, the next journey into the legendary DOOM universe. We are expanding our internal team and are currently hiring to work on this highly anticipated title.

"DOOM is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

The DOOM franchise is one of the most recognizable and important in gaming history, having been named "one of the ten most influential games of the decade" by PC Gamer and "the #1 game of all time" by GameSpy. DOOM 4 will join the award-winning series which has consistently topped sales charts throughout the world.

We are looking for talented, ambitious and passionate individuals eager to join our accomplished team of developers working on the industry’s most innovative and anticipated games. For a complete listing of available positions, visit our id Careers page. Resumes can be submitted via email to jobs@idsoftware.com. All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.

Anyone else hyped about this game? I loved the originals and the third one, but it got mixed reviews. I'm surprised that they are going to do another one of these since classic FPS gameplay seems to be dying, along with the old franchises. Still, I can't wait to see what Doom 4 will be like. :drool:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I really liked Doom 3. It had a great atmosphere, and the levels where you went to Hell were some of the creepiest, most atmospheric moments in any game ever.

jamie666

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Lagduf said:
I really liked Doom 3. It had a great atmosphere, and the levels where you went to Hell were some of the creepiest, most atmospheric moments in any game ever.

Agree mate, the hell levels were amazing. Kinda prefere the more open area of Doom compared to the narrow level design of the 3rd game, really looking forward to number 4!!

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Is this console or PC

If its PC is it gonna be like Crysis where no one can even run it at full spec for a year after its release?

I hope not, i enjoyed Crysis, i played it at high detail but theres always that niggle at the back of ya head that you're missing out on a little something.

Same thing Happened with Doom 3.

But when i did play Doom 3 to its full potential eventually i enjoyed it immensely, atmosphere like nothing else, i hope they take the same sort of direction with 4.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
NeoDragoN said:
Is this console or PC

If its PC is it gonna be like Crysis where no one can even run it at full spec for a year after its release?

I hope not, i enjoyed Crysis, i played it at high detail but theres always that niggle at the back of ya head that you're missing out on a little something.

Same thing Happened with Doom 3.

But when i did play Doom 3 to its full potential eventually i enjoyed it immensely, atmosphere like nothing else, i hope they take the same sort of direction with 4.

Kind of on subject, how was Doom 3 on the Xbox compared to the PC version running at full specs?

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
Kind of on subject, how was Doom 3 on the Xbox compared to the PC version running at full specs?

I haven't played the Xbox one but i can't imagine it comparing to the PC game running at 1280x1024 at Full Detail.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I tried like hell (no pun intended) to get into Doom 3, but it just didn't happen for me. I thought it was really boring.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Jedah Doma said:

I had the Xbox one, but not the PC version. As far as I was concerned, it played pretty nicely and handled pretty well with the Xbox controller. I was a big fan of the game, flashlight/gun critics be damned!

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
dark penguin said:
I had the Xbox one, but not the PC version. As far as I was concerned, it played pretty nicely and handled pretty well with the Xbox controller. I was a big fan of the game, flashlight/gun critics be damned!

I concur. I played through it on the box as well. Very well done port. I also played it briefly on a friends PC about a year earlier. Other than the obvious graphical hit compared to it being cranked all the way up on PC, it was the same game.

I enjoyed playing through the single player, but I was a bit bored of it shortly into the RoE expansion they released. I just wasn't hooked by the grav gun ripoff. The online completely blew donkey balls BTW, but I guess that wasn't the point of the game. It was just kind of tacked on.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
subcons said:
The online completely blew donkey balls BTW, but I guess that wasn't the point of the game. It was just kind of tacked on.

Agreed. They should have just finessed the single player game instead of implementing something that half-assed.

Griping aside, Doom 3 was fantastic for atmosphere. Sure, it was pure cheese. Sure, it was over the top. That's exactly why I bought it.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
genjiglove said:
I tried like hell (no pun intended) to get into Doom 3, but it just didn't happen for me. I thought it was really boring.

God, some of that game scared the shit outta me. Great atmosphere in that game. And the farther you got, the crazier that shit became. Makes me wanna play it right now, just talking about it. I'm talking about the PC version. Never played the modified console version.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
I'm hoping they get back to the ridiculously fast action that Doom/Doom2 offered. Doom 3's single player was fun, but the multiplayer left a lot to be desired - at least until LMS Co-Op came along.

And BTW, you can run Doom 3 on a Voodoo 2. It had no problems with hardware requirements when it was released (iD, ya know).

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Spike Spiegel said:
God, some of that game scared the shit outta me. Great atmosphere in that game. And the farther you got, the crazier that shit became. Makes me wanna play it right now, just talking about it. I'm talking about the PC version. Never played the modified console version.

Yeah, I know. I should have put more time into it, but the beginning really just turned me off.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I was a big fan of Doom 3 (and Doom and Doom II back in the day), even though I played it on Xbox. I thought it was a pretty good port, all things considered.

But yeah. It was short on gameplay and long on style, but I thought it was pretty awesome anyways. It was a genuinely creepy and unnerving game, and it's the only game that's freaked me out during broad daylight with roommates in the next room (wondering at my shrieks of terror). I even liked how you were forced to pick between seeing what was going on and having a gun ready. It was a ballsy move, and I thought it added a lot of tension to the game. Totally worth it.

If Doom 4 is as good as 3, sign me up. I bet it'll come to 360, and probably PS3 as well.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I loved all 3 dooms, the action is as classic as it comes in FPS terms.
I'm really excited, this may mean it may be soon time to upgrade the ol PC in preparation.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The whole flashlight thing is why the game works. You are afraid of the dark in this game. Later levels get much brighter after they scare you in the earlier ones, but still a lot of it is creepy no matter what.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Spike Spiegel said:
The whole flashlight thing is why the game works. You are afraid of the dark in this game. Later levels get much brighter after they scare you in the earlier ones, but still a lot of it is creepy no matter what.

Exactly. Fuck, now I wanna play Doom 3. ;)

I agree that the xpac was kinda meh though, it's only if you absolutely must have more. Though the double barreled shotgun was nice.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
HeartlessNinny said:
Exactly. Fuck, now I wanna play Doom 3. ;)

I agree that the xpac was kinda meh though, it's only if you absolutely must have more. Though the double barreled shotgun was nice.

The double barrel shotgun was nice, but I didn't like how hard it got at the end. I played the game on easy and had to do part of the last level a few times. I remember being frustrated at how many tough guys they threw at you with no break.

I hope that they bring back the db shotgun for Doom 4.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I seem to differ in opinion with a lot of folks here. I LOVED the old Doom games back in the day and several of the mods as well, but Doom 3 just felt like a showcase of a graphics engine made to sell to some other game designer who couldn't afford or didn't know how to create one of their own. I can't say as I was ever scared (or even creeped out) by the game as a lot of the instances felt too scripted. For instance, the first time you encounter the spider things or the shrieking skulls I could see it coming.

They also made the game so hard for systems to handle that at any given time you couldn't get more than a handful of monsters after you so it was kinda like shooting fish in a barrel, you just had to watch the ammo and kill the zombies with the melee. I really wish they would have given you the chainsaw earlier. It would have made the zombies a lot less tedious to that point and by the time you actually do receive it you use it in that one room and put it away for the most part.

The most obvious way to tell I didn't care for it.... I didn't even bother to play the expansion and Doom 3 was a game I drooled over for a minimum of a year and a half prior to release. Half Life 2 won that round hands down.

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:

I used the "duct tape" mod on the PC on one of my play throughs, which lets you have the torch with any gun, and it does take a hell of a lot away from the game.

The best thing was the limitations on the torch, do i use a shitty weapon and risk getting killed but at least i can see who killed me? Or do i use a gun with max fire power but no torch and never know what killed me?

Either way i remember dying a lot :tickled:

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
1150576125422.jpg

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I really hope they go back to the doom/doom 2 formula for doom 4. Doom 3 was good, but just didn't compare to the others.

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
cannonball said:
I really hope they go back to the doom/doom 2 formula for doom 4. Doom 3 was good, but just didn't compare to the others.

Its funny because my first experience with Doom was the PS1 dual pack of Doom 1 and 2. The BEST part of it was the music. It was super creepy and exactly what you'd think would be playing in hell. When I played the PC versions years later, I realized the music was totally different. It was pure cheese. If they do go back to the original style they should make it with creepy music.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
ironish said:
Its funny because my first experience with Doom was the PS1 dual pack of Doom 1 and 2. The BEST part of it was the music. It was super creepy and exactly what you'd think would be playing in hell. When I played the PC versions years later, I realized the music was totally different. It was pure cheese. If they do go back to the original style they should make it with creepy music.

I never played the PS1 version, but the key difference here is that Doom and its sequal for PC shipped originally on floppy disks (the first game was like 3 disks and the 2nd was 5 I think) thus the music was small midi loops whereas the PS1 being on CD allowed for larger .wav files. I assume* they took advantage of the added space and that is the difference you are refering to. Personally, I really liked those old midi soundtracks and I can still recall with a smile the initial song when you first opened the door in the first room of Doom 1.:buttrock: