Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I'm trying to keep this spoller-free. Please, if you reply, do the same, or at least use warnings.

Who else is playing the Doom 3 expansion (released yesterday)? I'm surprised nodoby else has started a thread. I've played it about 7 hours already. I just finished the first area of the game... time to take a break. So far, it fucking owns like I expected it to. I love the effect on the player's hands when he holds the artifct while it's charged, and the effects of stealing souls with it. Amazing. The grabber is also a lot of fun. It's more difficult than the main game thus far.

Another note: it's more demanding on your system. I played through the original twice, once with:

Athlon XP 3200+
GeForce 5900XT 128 MB
1 GB DDR400 dual channel
W.D. 80 GB PATA hard drive

And then again after upgrading my video to a GeForce 6600GT 128 MB and the hard drive to a W.D. 80 GB SATA (the hard drive is probably not much of a factor here). The first time, I played in medium quality in 640 x 480; the second, high-quality in 1280 x 1024. The second time, the game got choppy occasionaly, but I chose to stay in the resolution because that's the native setting of my LCD.
In RoE, the choppiness is more frequent and more profound. I may lower the resolution to compensate, but I don't want to turn off high quality because I'll lose antisotropic filtering (I don't know of a way to chage these settings independently). To make, the jump in quality with the filtering is very considerable.

Anyway, if you liked Doom 3, from what I've seen thus far, you'll like RoE.

Last edited:

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I honestly didn't even know it was already out. I will likely wait and see what people say about it before I buy it because I really didn't think Doom 3 was all that grand to begin with.