Does anyone else use joysticks exclusively?

XYXZYZ

New Challenger
When I first started playing Nintendo, I used those evil little game pads like everyone else. I got "Nintendonitis", my hands would start aching after a while. But in 1988 I got an NES Advantage, and all that changed. It felt so natural, I could play for hours with no pain. Also, there was consistancy between playing in the arcade and playing at home. After that I swore off gamepads forever. When the 16 bit era came around, I used the SNES advantage. I bought an ASCII arcade stick along with my Playstation. An ASCII NES Advantage clone for my PC Engiine DUO., etc. etc.

From Super Mario Bros. and Castlevania to Gunbird and Ys, I play every kind of game with a joystick. And I seem to be the only person in the world that does this. Everyone else I know only uses joysticks for fighting games. Or maybe shmups. But not platformers or anything else.

Am I the only one?

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Probably.

Most modern games can't be played with one.

RPGs and stuff suck with a stick.

Fighters and arcade games/p0rtz, sure, but not much else thanks.

Castlevania on a stick? Sounds... fruity :emb:

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
On Neo Geo, Saturn, Dreamcast, and Playstation I use a joystick whenever I'm playing an action game that will allow it. For platform games on the older systems though I just use the regular D-Pads. I want to get a joy for my PC Engine, that would be cool because I play it alot.

RATM

Zack de la Neo,
For fighting games I feel no other alternative. Even the ultra savvy Saturn controllers don't give quite as much of a natural feel. I find it to be preticularly difficult to play charge characters with a controller.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I'm pretty much the opposite, with the exception of the Neo Geo I only ever use pads. I really don't like sticks at all, whatever about them being the authentic way to play arcade style games I just don't like the feel of joysticks. I dug out my DC arcade stick a few days ago thinking I should give it another chance. I tried it on both Under Defeat and 3rd Strike and I have to say it was pretty useless. The joystick just has too much travel for my liking and despite the slickness of the giant buttons I can't play to the same level as I can with a good old D pad. Not the Dremcast d-pad mind you, that things is an abomination. The good old standard PS2 is just perfect for shooters and fighters. :qcf: :dragf: :360:

Last edited:

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
I think the Advantage is a little superflous for some games. Plus, I just don't like the feel of it that much.