Do you have this kinda feeling after buy up all the AES/MVS games you want?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I used to have 161-in-1 and 120-in-1 multi-carts and I thought I'm done with Neo Geo, guess I'm wrong.
I gave one multi-cart away and traded other one for something else.
I still like to have original cart :)

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
To me, half the fun of this kind of hobby is having things to want.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I used to have 161-in-1 and 120-in-1 multi-carts and I thought I'm done with Neo Geo, guess I'm wrong.
I gave one multi-cart away and traded other one for something else.
I still like to have original cart :)

First I got my AES with a couple carts. Then got a converter and the first MVS cart I got was the 161. Then I noticed the 161 is missing Metal Slug 5, so I thought "Oh, I'll just get MS5 and that's it". Years later, I have like 63 MVS carts and 6 AES carts. Luckily, there's only a couple games I really want that are missing. Got a Pulstar for sale there? LOL.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There's always the thrill of the hunt for me, whether it's tracking down games or buying a car. It's part of the fun, but if you're not enjoying what you spent time hunting, it's probably time to rethink your priorities. I'm pretty much sticking to my guns on my NGCD/MVS collecting by not buying anything I won't play, but I did recently pick up Blue's Journey on MVS even though I have it on CD so that was kind of overkill.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
no. I think about selling the carts I don't play much anymore and don't see myself getting deeper into the game... I should open a sales thread.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I feel the opposite, like.. 'Thank god I own etc game before the prices made it to stupid to buy.' I don't think I'll ever feel unfulfilled. I'm completely brainwashed by neo-geo nostalgia. I just think of like Charlotte's stage from SS2 or some awesome moment I had growing up with the neo. It just feels like something I'm really attached to. It took up a lot of my history. There is a factor to game direction I just love. I still buy, but I only get MVS games currently. I want to own all of the main releases, and I have at least 60 so far. I have well over 100 neo geo games stretched out on multiple neo platforms, and the only time I sold stuff off was the CD stuff, which made me a fan in 90's, like 96-97 or so. I felt so shitty getting rid of it, I got every game back and more, and I will never sell anything neo again. Especially not now when stupidity dictates it will be so expensive it'll fell to stupid to buy again..

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
I've adopted the method of only buying games I want to play, like 2D platforms, shmups, fighting games, run and gun shooters. My idea is to have those games for play and not to make my collection larger or big.
I think I'll never get into the idea of complete a collection of AES or MVS games, that's just too much. Of course some bargains I don't refuse them, even if those games are not my type. So there's always room to improve my collection. Over the past 10 years I bought 20 AES games, entered the MVS route earlier this year (about 15 games) and even with old games and the past, is so big with different platforms that there's always something to grab and play. It's just to maximize the experience and have it in the most original way of play. That's what makes me stick to old school and forums like Neo Geo.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've never dealt in MVS cart/kit until last October.
Start buying carts/kits and try to hunt down hard-to-find titles and negotiate deals from everywhere (eBay, forum, fleamarket, etc...)

Once I get all the titles I really want, I feel kinda empty and tell myself "Is that it"?

Not sure if you guys have the same feeling but that's how I feel right now.
I think to a degree its like that with any collecting hobby, but ultimately it depends why you are collecting and what you expect to get out of it. When your collection is complete you can sometimes feel like selling it all after a while, but that's only if you aren't getting something out of ownership. ie. in that case the fun was the collecting. In the other case you love the games you've bought and play the hell out of them, in which case it can go a few different ways:-
1) You ultimately get bored of and sell it all, but then later will almost certainly need / want to buy it back for nostalgia reasons.
2) You love the system and games so much you want more games (even the crap games which you will still end up forcing yourself to enjoy) - I think that's where most of us are. I cannot get enough Neo Geo, I wish there was a more active Homebrew community!

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
You mean the selling forum to buy more mvs?

sir arthur

War Room Troll
Apart from the Slugs and Blazing Star (that I have kits), all the other games I have are AES

And I love it this way

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Apart from the Slugs and Blazing Star (that I have kits), all the other games I have are AES

And I love it this way

I prefer the aes as well,unless it's a full arcade cab and not a consolized mvs.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I've adopted the method of only buying games I want to play

:lol: Where did you learn of this rare method?

Once I get all the titles I really want, I feel kinda empty and tell myself "Is that it"?

Sig worthy stuff. That moment you realize hoarding video games doesn’t equal happiness.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Sig worthy stuff. That moment you realize hoarding video games doesn’t equal happiness.

Reminds me of Matthew 16:26
What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The benefit of being a Kraut: Two souls alas! are dwelling in my breast; ...who cares, if one gets wasted by harvesting aes stuff?

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Ive got 22 or so mvs carts and I feel I've got all the titles that matter. Doesn't really matter though because the carts are boxed up together and put away, only the multicart sees action.
This problem you're experiencing isn't to do with games specifically, it is a materialist dilemma. See I get a rush out of buying things, waiting for them and then finally receiving them. I get less of a rush out of the actual item. As soon as I realized this I started really concentrating on condensing my belongings. Been a couple years now and I don't just splurge on a whim like I used to.

I've heard this is some sort of thing inherent in most people. Like your mind sets it up so that the anticipation of the event is more rewarding to you than the actual event. Similar to where you can't wait to go on vacation, then when you're finally there it's just like "okay".

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I feel the opposite, like.. 'Thank god I own etc game before the prices made it to stupid to buy.' I don't think I'll ever feel unfulfilled.

This. I got all the die hard wants taken care of, and it feels satisfying. I could not imagine trying to build the Neo library I have now at some of the prices I've seen of late.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
The hunt is really exciting or it really sucks...or both. There's the rush of finding the games you want, at the price point you want. As others have said, it's awesome to find those games before the prices got ridiculous. What you're feeling is the emotional crash after the battle to collect, collect, collect. This is normal but don't let that turn into greed. It's easy to get addicted to the thrill of the hunt and eventually you will make bad financial decisions if you're not careful.

There will ALWAYS be a few games that you can buy, upgrade, try out, sell, or trade. However, take some time to enjoy the games that you worked so hard to pay for and obtain. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Except, it's not labor at all. Have enough of that 12 hours a day. When I hunt, I'm back at being that Neanderthal again, with a strict eat-drink-sleep routine. Brains off, instincts on... endless fun.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
:lol: Where did you learn of this rare method?

About a year ago, from a seller that "cleared" closed videogaming stores, just to bring home a pile of games. I bought him a few Dreamcast games I was willing to try like SEGA GT and Saturn's Johnny Bazookatone. The first didn't work and the second had no disc. Of course he is a good guy and when I reported back about the faulty disc and the absence on the second he told me he never played those games, so he offered me a discount and a few Master System games to compensate.

Last edited:

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
The hunt is really exciting or it really sucks...or both. There's the rush of finding the games you want, at the price point you want. As others have said, it's awesome to find those games before the prices got ridiculous. What you're feeling is the emotional crash after the battle to collect, collect, collect. This is normal but don't let that turn into greed. It's easy to get addicted to the thrill of the hunt and eventually you will make bad financial decisions if you're not careful.

There will ALWAYS be a few games that you can buy, upgrade, try out, sell, or trade. However, take some time to enjoy the games that you worked so hard to pay for and obtain. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Good words.