Do MVS Bootlegs hurt the mother board cartridge slots?

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
Ive got a Strikers 1945 bootleg that is more difficult to insert and remove than the normal MVS carts. Will this ever damage my motherboard, or is it ok?

Edit: Im gonna stop using it. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Last edited:

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Does it have a bootleg board or an authentic snk board? Cuz if it uses snk boards then it could be they stacked the EPROMs and causing it to push against each other

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
Does it have a bootleg board or an authentic snk board? Cuz if it uses snk boards then it could be they stacked the EPROMs and causing it to push against each other

The board says @EOLITH-@ABS, and doesn't have the words SNK on it anywhere

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
for awhile my 161 was super hard to remove from my 1FZ board and I was afraid of ruining the pin connectors but after awhile she loosened up and became a total slut. Doesn't seem to affect the play of normal carts at all.

ColdWolf35

King's Dry Cleaner
I would assume that it could be a possibility damaging your pin connectors. Look at the Sega Saturn cartridge input: with the action replay cartridge, it would ruin the pin connector, and you'd be S.O.L.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
To me, when inserting carts, legit Metal Slug 4's seem and feel more harmful to me than any bootleg I have ever come across. I'm not sure if this is true, however.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
My KOF96 doesnt seem any different to install or remove then my other carts

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
My KOF96 doesnt seem any different to install or remove then my other carts

This cart is about 1/16 of an inch bigger than an official cart. Would that affect anything?

Edit: 1/16 of an inch taller, not wider.

Last edited:

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
And that cart slot is just lousy to begin with. Mine is SO picky about official Sega 4MB carts, yet all the memory carts I've tried seem just fine.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
This cart is about 1/16 of an inch bigger than an official cart. Would that affect anything?

Edit: 1/16 of an inch taller, not wider.

I dont keep a pair of calipers at home so I will take my cart to work tomorrow and measure up the boards. I dont think the height would be an issue as long as the housing is made properly. I think the problem is in the thickness of the boards. There were some people talking about it over in the 161-in-1 thread as well.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I think the problem is in the thickness of the boards.
this. You can't change much about it, exept maybe put some contact cleaner (e.g. DeOxit D5) on the PCB edges to make it slide a little easier. I guess the pins might bend after some time and the slot will become "looser" over all, which could lead to worse contact with legit carts.