direct4games, rip-off? (turned out they were)

After reading through this thread, do you feel encouraged to order from direct4e?

• Yes, Petes' middle east 40k AES-bunker is da bomb and I don't mind some harassing phone calls.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • No, I'd not risk being denied any refund or correspondence after sending the broken games back.

Votes: 30 90.9%

• Total voters

seamoon

New Challenger
I was promised a refund by direct4games.com (user direct4e here) for two malfunctioning AES-games. Returned the games jan 09 and I can see by the tracking number that they were picked up by direct4games on jan 12. Have not heard from them since then and my emails dated jan 15, 18 and 29 have been completely ignored. Now their site has been down for mainenance for weeks...

Anyone more than I having problems with this company?

Last edited:

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
I thought they were just selling NOS stuff, brand new games, it's weird that they don't work, I've never had a non working cartridge so it's very weird that you got two non working ones at the same time, which titles were by the way?

Their site is down to be updated (I think until February the 9th), but they are selling throug eBay under the name video-games.

You should contact Kris Baker at kris@direct4e.com, he's the director of e-commerce.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Can't you contact them on eBay under the username video-games also?

seamoon

New Challenger
Thank you Pep. I've sent a mail directly to him. Still no reply to my other mails.
The games (Sengoku and Crossed Swords) sure are NOS, so it's strange that they don't work properly. I've been adviced here to clean them, so I've tried that on several occasions with electrical cleaner and I've also cleaned the cartridge slot of the system, to no avail.
I don't have this problem with any of my other AES games, so I did not see any other way out of it than to send them back and direct4games agreed to this.
Anyway one looks at it, it's a very strange company policy to deny any contact with your customers like this... :oh_no:

bogsie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have also recently bought games from this company as NOS from ebay. I haven't yet received the items and although I was provided with a tracking number the items seem to be stuck at a distribution depot. After asking on 3 occasions for direct4games to look into this - i.e phone Parcelforce to find out what is happening I am yet to receive a reply.

Another issue that I have has now been raised after reading this thread. The titles I have purchased are sealed NOS titles, I dont want to open them but am now concerned that they may not be working titles. Is it common for NOS carts to be faulty ?

seamoon

New Challenger
Seems like you have the same prob as aviator in this thread, bogsie.

Anyone have the phone number to direct4games BTW? I can now see why they don't put it on their web site...

Last edited:

darkkrisp

Cheng's Errand Boy
They probaly are non working carts. Seems They were hoping to snag those folks that spend money on sealed games and have no intention of opening them. I will not spend a premium on a NOS game since I intend to open them and use.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
darkkrisp said:
They probaly are non working carts. Seems They were hoping to snag those folks that spend money on sealed games and have no intention of opening them. I will not spend a premium on a NOS game since I intend to open them and use.

I don't see how someone can know that a sealed game is not going to work...

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
The have some NOS seal sticker sheets?

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
RGP said:
They have some NOS seal sticker sheets?
And this is what bothers me.....i have seen these 'neo-geo' clear sticker sheets in the past...its easy to put these on a mint title & call it 'untouched factory sealed!'
Hoping to get a higher premium..;)
I have been to telegames many times in the past...& looked at lots of their stock...as i am a VERY piccy collector..i saw NO sealed games & non was mentioned either at the time..strange.
Btw...i have never seen as many 'sealed' ngh for sale...ever!!:lolz:

seamoon

New Challenger
Still no reply from direct4e, even when using the email address provided earlier in this thread.
Obviously the person(s), kris or whatever, behind this company, intends to scam me. Very smart business idea: Sell malfunctioning and thrashed games as NOS, when customers complain, promise a refund and make them shell out even more cash on return shipping and insurance, then simply ignore the customer and you still have the item that you've sold. :blow_top: :very_ang:

Has anyone been in contact with direct4e in the last week? I need to rule out that the lack of communication on his side is due to illness/travel/death or whatever.

If I don't receive any reply from direct4e within seven days I suggest direct4e should be moved to the thieves/scammers list.

Last edited:

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
I am going to explain my experience for your informatio:

I recently bought 8 NOS games from them, they shipped them promptly on Monday and I received them in due time today.

I sent them a long email with shipping request on padding etc, it was also included in the parcel received with few notes on it, which shows that they took the time to read it an tried to follow my instructions, good.

They also gave me a nice shipping discount, once I asked for a combined shipping quote. That was cool.

The games arrived inside a box full of padding peanuts, not a bubble of air was left inside the parcel. The games were individually wrapped in thrash plastic bags (unused of course) or thin wrapping paper, this offers no protection but it's a nice touch.

1) FF Euro, FF US, AOF Euro & AOf 2 Euro, WH2 Euro: These games have the factory seal sticker perfectly attached to their spine, the stichers show some dust or dirt under the part that always waves and never gets attached. The games look brand new to me and even have that classic smell to new. They are all basically mint, but one of them has light marks on the spine from a bump. I don't mean to open them and to me they are brand new, they look the same as any other brand new factory sealed NGH games I got through years.

2) Top Players Golf: This game has the seal not well attached, due to dust and dirt, this was already stated in the auction. On the inside the tray is carcked, the isntructions look 100% brand new and flawless, sure they are. The cartridge however has few slight marks on the front and back (sometimes brand new carts come with slight marks even on the front). However, when checking the game under intense light it seems that there are very ultra slight insertion marks. I bought NOS games in the past having slight marks, but it feels always fishy. I think this game maybe has been tested or something, definitely not well stored.

3) Voltage Fighter Gowkaizer Euro: The box has dust. I removed the insert and it has indentation or pressure marks, also the box shows marks, whcih are notable once you have removed the insert. The box has dust even inside it, which is weird and means that it has been previosuly opened . The instrustions look new, the cartridge looks new on the front and it has the classic friction marks on the back due to the SNK embossed logo (present in some new games), no insertion marks at all, it can be certainly brand new. Maybe this was used as a display copy?, game was not stored properly, it's not just taken aout from the master cardboardbox as the auction states.

4) World Heroes Perfect JPN: The insert also has pressure marks. The box also shows some marks as before (visible once the insert has been removed), the classic friction marks, making the transparent plastic to look worn away in some areas. The instructions are free of creases or other marks, but the edges are slightly white, otherwise would look pristine. I am not sure if the baggie is the original, because it's not made of the classic soft transparent plastic but it's made of a more rigid one, the same type of these collectors baggies to store CDs. The cartridge shows few friction marks on the back (again, brand new games may have them) and if checking the cartridge under intense light you may note a couple more very slight marks. The catridge is in great shape but also shows gentle insertion marks, so it has been played or at least tested, not just taken out of the master cardboard box as stated in the auction.

Conclusion: I think it's good to buy NOS from them as long as the game is perfectly sealed, and mostly if you don't mean to open it. Otherwise maybe you will be getting a game in great shape (and I am picky) but not really new.

PS: I took several pictures, do you want me to post them, anyone can upload them?

Last edited:

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Hi,

I bought to Videogames ( through the Ebay bids ) 2 AES games: KOF 98 JAP new and sealed, and Super Sidekicks 3 Jap new not sealed.

I received the items pretty quickly on a Friday, very well protected.

BUT, I get petrified when what I found was not the Japanese games, but the EURO/USA version, AND: KOF 98 had the clamshell box broken ( not during the shipping, as everything was really very well protected with bubble plastic and not a single hit were on the cardboard box were the games were sent ) and the insert was too a little damaged.

I quickly e-mailed to Videogames, and received an e-mail from Pete, telling that on monday at the office they were going to check it and to solve it.

On Monday Kris told by e-mail to return the items.

Tomorrow I will send them Ultra-protected, with the original cardboard box inside another box, so they can check that the KOF 98 case was broken BEFORE they sent the items to me....

What I can not understand is, how they made such a mistake with both games ? ( Not japanese, not in the state as they sold them to me according to the ebay description ).....

In any case, if they solve the problem, I'll be satisfied, as is when a problem occurs when a company can demonstrate if they are up to the facts or not....

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If it's a new game, it is possible that the contacts need to have the coating worn down a bit.

seamoon

New Challenger
caren103 said:
Tomorrow I will send them Ultra-protected, with the original cardboard box inside another box, so they can check that the KOF 98 case was broken BEFORE they sent the items to me....

Problem is, after you've sent the games back, they'll probably ignore you
like they do to me.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
seamoon said:
Problem is, after you've sent the games back, they'll probably ignore you
like they do to me.

Yeah..

After more research, I would advise him to cut his losses and give bad feedback....

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Hopefully they will see this thread and reply. No reasonable seller wants to have unpleased customers.

I think that their problem somehow is that they do not realize that dealing with neo geo items is not like dealing with other videogames, neo geo stuff will be bought by collectors, picky people that care about details, so you need to spend time before selling those games to describe them properly.

Another story is getting ignored after an accepted return, that's a big NO.

Regarding the malfunctioning games, I would say that they my not be faulty, maybe you would need to insert them not so tightly, it happens sometimes when you use an old system. If you fully insert some games they will show some glitches.

seamoon

New Challenger
Pep said:
Regarding the malfunctioning games, I would say that they my not be faulty, maybe you would need to insert them not so tightly, it happens sometimes when you use an old system. If you fully insert some games they will show some glitches.

Well, thanks for your suggestions Pep, but I've inserted the games all ways possible and cleaned them with electrical cleaner til they were as clean as clean can be and there was never any difference, the glitches were still all over the place. Also, none of my other AES games have ever shown any graphics glitches whatsoever, so I truly think there was nothing more I could do.

Last edited:

bogsie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
My experience of Direct4

Recently purchased some titles from this ebayer and have to say it's not been a pleasant experience. Have been in touch with Seamoon on these forums to share my experience. Here are copy's of my PM's to him - i think you should all be aware when sellers aren't reliable.

PM Copies

Hi,

I have still not received my cartridges from direct4games and on Friday this week I phoned them on 08454308755 from the UK. Have to say im not to happy with the conversation.

Reason I phoned is that I emailed loads of times and got no reply, having spoken to the courier they informed me that the parcel may be lost and could I provide a description - obviously I couldn't as im the person receiving.

Spoke to some guy at direct4 (no name sorry) and found him to be patronising and smarmy. Eventually a women phoned me back and told me that she'd been in contact with the courier and the parcel had been delivered to something like "Electroline". I have never heard of that company. She told me that that was the address that I provided, so I explained (probably nastily) that the address that I provided was my confirmed paypal address which is nothing like the address she quoted. Even after this she insisted that the parcel had been delivered to myself and was probably lying somewhere in my company - how the hell can that be when she says its been delivered to the wrong address !!!!

What was even more strange about this was that the courier had already confirmed to me that the tracking number provided was addressed correctly to myself.

The women from direct4 is either lying blatantly or has totally got her facts wrong. Again, I found her to talk to me like I was 8 - im 29 and found her obnoxious. She went away with a flea in her ear I can tell you !!

The goods I purchased were £350 in value and they don't seem to appreciate my concern.

I will be phoning again first thing Monday morning.

My carts have arrived this morning, haven't unpacked them yet - hopefully everything will be fine. I was interested in a Robo Army cart from them as well, dont think i'll bother now. This has been the worst service I have ever received from an ebayer !!

Hope all works out ok for you

Hi,

yes, that telephone number is correct. I have looked at the carts now and am happy with both items. One was a little dusty but after a little TLC its cleaned up well.

I have left negative feedback on ebay though as I am very unhappy with their handling of the situation. They dont seem to care about their customers once they have been paid for the goods.

Hope all goes well for you

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
norton9478 said:
Yeah..

After more research, I would advise him to cut his losses and give bad feedback....

Hi,

I have the games packaged..... theoretically I was going to send them today, but now I am not sure what to do....

I want to believe that they have been overwhelmed and therefore they have done some ( a lot in fact ) of wrong things.....

There are people who finally has get its problem solved.... but other some are still dealing with video-games.....

Don't know what to do, as what I've get is not the version I bought, and wha'ts more, one case is broken.

bogsie

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I have just received a telephone call from Peter at Direct4. He has obviously read this thread and is not best pleased with my comments. I stand firm with what I have said above.

Peter has just informed me that us Neo Geo collectors are sad little shits who must be really sad to spend vast amounts on games. Apparently he has more Neo Geo games than you can shake a stick at !!

Well for anyone else who is thinking of buying from direct4, please be careful. This man has just phoned me to complain in the rudest and most foul manner about me reporting my issues with his company.

At least I got to speak to this gentleman again - some of you here cant even do that.

I guess you will be reading this Peter, have a nice, pleasant day and I hope you continue to treat your customers with such disrespect.

Direct4e

n00b
Hello from Direct4Games,

A few points we would like everyone to consider.

1. All stock we list as new and mint sealed HAS come from master carton cardboard boxes from the manufacturer. It is however very old, do you honestly expect no dust?!!! The reason for the majority of dust is either: the ones that have been removed from boxes to be placed on our shelves for stock taking. Or they were stocks bought from Dubai - A very dusty place as you can imagine. We list the games as mint new from the manufacturer as that is EXACTLY what they are. If they come out of a box and have imperfections then that's how they went into the box!

2. We only have so many staff. We cannot be expected to deal with every request instantly. Nor can we (though we have foolishly tried recently) be expected to list individual games with all ther conditions and present these to individuals, we are listing on eBay the ones we have dealt with. And they are then the ones available.

3. If these games are to be collected and sold as mint new sealed and you intend to open it to play it...BUY AN OPEN ONE - They're the same and just have the seal open!!

4. If you claim you haven't received your item firstly have you paid? We have had many people take up to a MONTH to actually pay for their games they won. This is not acceptable as you have won the auction and are restricting the potential sales of these games to others. Secondly - If your item hasn't arrived and we claim to have shipped it, please WAIT 14 days before contacting us about it, as Royal Mail etc will NOT DO A THING about it until this time has passed, because (as in many cases complained about on here) the item turns up a few days later anyway.

5. We are not collectors of these or any other games - we are a RETAILER. We don't want these games. We just want to sell them! If you don't agree to our conditions of purchase... DON'T BUY!

6. Shipping - Postage discounts - Don't ask for a shipping discout if it's not offered in the eBay listing. Dont just assume you'll get one. We have had many people win multiple auctions then complain about the shipping cost. If you read the listing then you have AGREED legally to pay those shipping costs! If we have any listings offering discounts then we'll honour them.

7. Wrong item sent. If you receive an item that is not what you ordered. Contact us. You will be given a ref number and an address to send the item. Upon receiveing the item back to us, we will REFUND the shipping cost as it was our mistake, and send you the correct item. We will NOT send another item out until we receive the original one back.

8. We are NOT here to SCAM ANYONE! We are doing our best to sell these items as fairly as possible. We refund people when necessary. Claims are dealt with very seriously. Faulty items are TESTED before refunds are given.

9. Anyone found to be abusing our business and fraudulently claiming from us will simply be blocked from purchasing from us. We will block ebay ID's, Website accounts and delivery addresses from being processed.

seamoon

New Challenger
Direct4e said:
8. We are NOT here to SCAM ANYONE! We are doing our best to sell these items as fairly as possible. We refund people when necessary. Claims are dealt with very seriously. Faulty items are TESTED before refunds are given.

Could you please prove this by contacting me about my refund?
I can't believe you wrote all this and still don't address the concerns I have as the very starter of this thread. Even here, in public, you keep ignoring me.