Differences between SS0 and SS0S

evo7_31

Geese's Thug
I guess I was late onto the bandwagon, but I finally got down to playing SS2 the last week or so and I was blown away!!

So, now I'm looking to get a more 'updated' version of the game. Should I pick up SS0, or SS0S?

I already know about the much-discussed fatality issue, so what I'm looking to learn about are the actual gameplay stuff. What's new, what's no longer there, which are the characters that were added, etc.

And, which is more fun!!

TurboCro

AESwipe,
evo7_31 said:
I guess I was late onto the bandwagon, but I finally got down to playing SS2 the last week or so and I was blown away!!

So, now I'm looking to get a more 'updated' version of the game. Should I pick up SS0, or SS0S?

I already know about the much-discussed fatality issue, so what I'm looking to learn about are the actual gameplay stuff. What's new, what's no longer there, which are the characters that were added, etc.

And, which is more fun!!

get SS3 - great and cheap (relativley speaking)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
and since we're at it, can someone tell us what new gameplay-elements added in each SS game and how to use them.

I can pull that 576968705-hits combo in SS IV, but I still don't know what it's used for. a single blow can do more damage than that combo.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
I can pull that 576968705-hits combo in SS IV, but I still don't know what it's used for.
It's used to make the game less like a Samurai Shodown game. That's why I like 3 or 5 more. I haven't really tried 5 Special except for a couple rounds at E3, so I can't judge it yet.

firebomber

Astra Superstar
k'_127 said:
and since we're at it, can someone tell us what new gameplay-elements added in each SS game and how to use them.

I can pull that 576968705-hits combo in SS IV, but I still don't know what it's used for. a single blow can do more damage than that combo.

If you land the entire combo, you get a full rage guage as a reward.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Characters that are unique to each version (in addition to the base roster of 24 characters):

SSV: Poppy (button code) Sankuro (BIOS unlock) and Yumeji (BIOS unlock)
SSVS: Gaoh, Zankuro, Mizuki, Amakusa (readily playable)

And those bosses of SSVS also bring in their own backgrounds/stages

Otherwise, SSVS has tweaked playability (damage, speed) and the "lessened fatalities" if you go for the fixed version.

SSV has a story mode, but it's only in japanese, so not much of an added value.

Overall SSVS is naturally better. It would have been better even without the fatalities, but now, because of the whole mess concerning them, SSVS has a fowl stench floating around it. But it is actually my favourite SS ever.