Dead Dreamcast. .

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Dreamcast no longer reads CDs or GDROMs, is there a tweak i can do? The motor can spin up... But no data comes out.

J69

Hardened Shock Trooper
i dont know about the USA but in the UK you can get them on ebay for $20

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
yeah im planing to then use it to trouble shoot the 3 dead ones i have here

Sixfire

n00b
If the laser isn't totally dead you can try to adjust it's potentiometer. Only about 1/8 of a turn clockwise should help:)

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
That's what I figured.

I turned it and it started spinning up and sounded like it tried to read.

So I did it again and again, and eventually it booted my copy of Sonic Adventure 2. :)

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Word... always have a spare DC on hand.

AppleiDog said:
its probably easier/cheaper to buy a second hand one.

Sixfire

n00b
taitai said:
That's what I figured.

I turned it and it started spinning up and sounded like it tried to read.

So I did it again and again, and eventually it booted my copy of Sonic Adventure 2. :)

Great, glad to hear it :)

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Clean the laser with a cotton swab.....

RocketLawnChair

Dyslexic Mods FWT!, , got me 2 scalps, ,
15 Year Member
If the system's reading discs once in a while, you probably don't have to replace the GDROM, or buy a whole new system.

As Norton said, try cleaning the laser with a Q-Tip, and rubbing alcohol first before adjusting the pot. Use only a little alcohol, and swap the lens gently. Use the dry side of the Q-Tip to dry. You might not even need to do the following steps, but here we go:

Unplug your system, and turn it on once to get rid of any extra juice in the power supply. Remove the Dreamcast's top cover so you can access the GDROM drive. Once you have access, carefully unplug the ribbon cable from the GDROM's lens. From here, you should be able to gently lift the drive, and you'll see the potentiometer you need to adjust. If you don't have a multimeter, try adjusting 1/8 of a turn clockwise. Bump it up to 1/4 turn if necessary. Reassemble, and test. Good luck.

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
RocketLawnChair said:
If the system's reading discs once in a while, you probably don't have to replace the GDROM, or buy a whole new system.

As Norton said, try cleaning the laser with a Q-Tip, and rubbing alcohol first before adjusting the pot. Use only a little alcohol, and swap the lens gently. Use the dry side of the Q-Tip to dry. You might not even need to do the following steps, but here we go:

Unplug your system, and turn it on once to get rid of any extra juice in the power supply. Remove the Dreamcast's top cover so you can access the GDROM drive. Once you have access, carefully unplug the ribbon cable from the GDROM's lens. From here, you should be able to gently lift the drive, and you'll see the potentiometer you need to adjust. If you don't have a multimeter, try adjusting 1/8 of a turn clockwise. Bump it up to 1/4 turn if necessary. Reassemble, and test. Good luck.

Cleaning the lens was an obvious move, so I omitted saying I did it.

RocketLawnChair

15 Year Member
taitai said:
Cleaning the lens was an obvious move, so I omitted saying I did it.
Ah, nevermind. Didn't see you already tried adjusting the pot too. Any luck?

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
RocketLawnChair said:
Ah, nevermind. Didn't see you already tried adjusting the pot too. Any luck?

Yeah, Sonic adventure 2 booted, so did my CDR of FreeBSD for Dreamcast. :lol

Sixfire

n00b
RocketLawnChair - What test is it that you were speaking of if you have a multimeter?

RocketLawnChair

15 Year Member
Sixfire said:
RocketLawnChair - What test is it that you were speaking of if you have a multimeter?
I meant you could measure the laser's potentiometer. Believe mine's around 450 ohms, but I'd have to check.

Sixfire

n00b
Hmmm... very interesting. I didn't know you could do that. So do you just put the positive lead ON the pot itself? (I'm assuming just ground the other lead as usual)

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I had something weird happen with my DC system. It always ran perfectly until one day I played the NESTER DC and BMSX on it a lot. I tried to boot up my Shenmue 2 European version on it and wouldn't get to the title screen. So then I played other games and the NESTER DC as well, but on a better CD-R type. Now my system runs flawless. Weird shit.