Daily Check: What shooters are you guys playing ATM?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I've been playing a bit more of Raiden IV. It's not good, but its certainly not bad, either. It's Raiden, and you can infer from that statement whatever you like. I'll certainly stick with it, as its good on its own merits. I was probably expecting too much and unfairly comparing it to Raiden II. It made me take another look at Raiden III - maybe IV will change my opinion because I HATED III.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Do you guys think that Panzer Dragoon would fall into the subject's category of "shooters"? I'm not sure what defining characteristics would differentiate a shmup from a 'shooter', or even if that matters here, but I am getting back into Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei and Orta at the moment. That soundtrack and atmosphere of those games is just amazing, I wish I could find something else like it.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I'm such a nubcake but I've been getting my ass handed to me in U.N. Squadron for the SNES. I had never heard of this game until a few weeks ago when I had a party at my house and someone threw it on my flashcart. It's pretty fun but I honestly can't beat the first level

Great shooter team andromeda, there ain't that many on the snes.

Yeah i suppose you could call the panzer dragoon games shooters, but they are on rails, and pseudo 3D, so for me, not a shmup in the pure sense...

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm such a nubcake but I've been getting my ass handed to me in U.N. Squadron for the SNES. I had never heard of this game until a few weeks ago when I had a party at my house and someone threw it on my flashcart. It's pretty fun but I honestly can't beat the first level.

View attachment 27299

See that pic? I don't know where in the game that is because it's so hard, I've never seen it. Maybe I should be sticking to easier games like Barbie Horse Adventures.

I'm curious, how old are you? Cause man, I must be old. I bought this one new when it came out in like 91 or 92.

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Do you guys think that Panzer Dragoon would fall into the subject's category of "shooters"? I'm not sure what defining characteristics would differentiate a shmup from a 'shooter', or even if that matters here, but I am getting back into Panzer Dragoon 1, Zwei and Orta at the moment. That soundtrack and atmosphere of those games is just amazing, I wish I could find something else like it.
I consider it a rail-shooter which is a type of shooter. If this thread was "What shoot em ups have you been playing?" then I'd say it wouldn't count. But based on the thread, to me it's fair game.

cat

I'm curious, how old are you? Cause man, I must be old. I bought this one new when it came out in like 91 or 92.

I did too KP, still got the cart as well but the box has long gone, i was playing uridium, z-out, x-out on the amiga 500 just before i got the snes, happy days...

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
Learn how to beat stage 1 in UN Squadron before you $$$$$ more shooting games.

I can do well in other shooting games, but I've got that $5 knock-off Chinese eBay SNES controller that plays like shit, and my portable clone SNES has the worst dpad ever. I'm also disabled but I manage.

I just have a fun time with them, and like jumping between them. I don't care that they're hard and I never spend enough time getting really good with one before I jump to another, it just reminds me of being at Blackjack Pizza when I was little and jumping between machines with quarters I found or was given by the workers there! Good times. Don't have to be an expert to be a shmup fan :)

But your advice is good, I'm wasting too much money on random ones. I'll stick with what I've got for the moment, but it's unfortunately a lot due to Everdrives and burned Saturn disks

cat

I can do well in other shooting games, but I've got that $5 knock-off Chinese eBay SNES controller that plays like shit, and my portable clone SNES has the worst dpad ever.

No excuse's team andromeda ever heard the old saying a bad tradesman alway's blame's his tools lol, just kidding...

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
No excuse's team andromeda ever heard the old saying a bad tradesman alway's blame's his tools lol, just kidding...

lol! That thought crossed my mind as soon as I hit 'reply'. I definitely am lacking skills, but I'm having too much fun to really focus hard on technique. My playing is pretty sloppy

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I'm playing Blazing Star but so far struggling to get out of the third stage on one credit. I haven't been practicing very long this go-round, so I'll get there.

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
musha1.JPG

So I finally beat MUSHA Aleste last night, I was wondering what happens afterward. On the title screen it says "Continue" after the credits, but I accidentally started a new game and when I Game Over'd to get back to the title screen the option was gone :(

musha2.JPG

Any clue?

cat

Never cleared it TBH team andromeda, so you're one up on me there, but on other games i've completed the continue will just move you up to the next difficulty level..

Thunderblaze16

New Challenger
So I finally beat MUSHA Aleste last night, I was wondering what happens afterward. On the title screen it says "Continue" after the credits, but I accidentally started a new game and when I Game Over'd to get back to the title screen the option was gone :(

Any clue?

I believe it's just to continue rising your score, you already beat the game.
Now you play the so called sequel, Robo Aleste.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Woah dude, I need to get a Sega CD now. Looks fucking amazing.

There's no denying that 'Robo Aleste' is a great shoot 'em up, and one of the best games on the SCD, but it's not quite as good as its predecessor in my opinion. If you loved 'MUSHA' you'll probably be a little disappointed in 'Robo.' That doesn't mean it's not an awesome game in its own right though.

The difficulty is definitely ramped up quite a bit in 'Robo' and the controls just feel a little less intuitive than in 'MUSHA.' Not bad necessarily, but different. The music and graphics are stellar, however, and the feudal Japan theme is just a cool setting for a shoot 'em up.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
There's no denying that 'Robo Aleste' is a great shoot 'em up, and one of the best games on the SCD, but it's not quite as good as its predecessor in my opinion. If you loved 'MUSHA' you'll probably be a little disappointed in 'Robo.' That doesn't mean it's not an awesome game in its own right though.

'MUSHA' is overrated. It's good, but there are few games on the system that are better.

The difficulty is definitely ramped up quite a bit in 'Robo'...

'Robo' is actually a very easy game to get through.

...and the controls just feel a little less intuitive than in 'MUSHA.' Not bad necessarily, but different.

Can you explain this? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by "intuitive".

cat

I've only ever played robo aleste a couple of times, and on an emu not on the actual mega cd, good cd soundtrack, some nice scaling, cool cut scene's, maybe i'll go back and give it another go,
never knew it was the follow up to musha but now i think of it i believe there's some of the weapons from musha in there (or very close to them)..

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
'Robo' is actually a very easy game to get through.

Can you explain this? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by "intuitive".

Well, what can I say? It's difficult for me. At least in comparison to MUSHA which I can beat. Of course, I've never been great at shoot 'em ups. I love them, but I'm average at best.

As far as what I meant by unintuitive, perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words, but it's difficult to explain. As I move my character around in 'MUSHA,' it feels effortless, as though I have complete control. While in 'Robo' there is always a slight delay in my movement, a sluggishness. I think this is mainly due to the way that they designed the character's sprite movement, in that when you move in a direction, before you begin to actually travel in that direction, the character adjusts itself. It's like a shift of the robot. Again, it's difficult to explain, but when you play it you should be able to understand what I mean. In 'MUSHA' when I press the d-pad the character immediately moves whereas there is a short delay in 'Robo.'

Technically speaking though, 'Robo Aleste' takes place in feudal Japan so the robot technology would not have been as advanced as it was in 'MUSHA' which is set in the future. So perhaps the slightly sluggish movement was a conscious choice by the developers in that regard. I don't know. Anyway, like I said before, I think it's a great game, I just prefer 'MUSHA.'

team_andromeda

Armored Scrum Object
'MUSHA' is overrated. It's good, but there are few games on the system that are better.

It's easy for good games to get overrated these days, would you mind recommending a few of your faves? I never played a Genesis/MD shmup growing up so all I know are from those 'best of' lists unfortunately.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Well, what can I say? It's difficult for me. At least in comparison to MUSHA which I can beat. Of course, I've never been great at shoot 'em ups. I love them, but I'm average at best.

As far as what I meant by unintuitive, perhaps that wasn't the best choice of words, but it's difficult to explain. As I move my character around in 'MUSHA,' it feels effortless, as though I have complete control. While in 'Robo' there is always a slight delay in my movement, a sluggishness. I think this is mainly due to the way that they designed the character's sprite movement, in that when you move in a direction, before you begin to actually travel in that direction, the character adjusts itself. It's like a shift of the robot. Again, it's difficult to explain, but when you play it you should be able to understand what I mean. In 'MUSHA' when I press the d-pad the character immediately moves whereas there is a short delay in 'Robo.'

Technically speaking though, 'Robo Aleste' takes place in feudal Japan so the robot technology would not have been as advanced as it was in 'MUSHA' which is set in the future. So perhaps the slightly sluggish movement was a conscious choice by the developers in that regard. I don't know. Anyway, like I said before, I think it's a great game, I just prefer 'MUSHA.'

Did you try adjusting the ship's speed? It just sounds like you think the ship is too slow.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Technically speaking though, 'Robo Aleste' takes place in feudal Japan so the robot technology would not have been as advanced as it was in 'MUSHA' which is set in the future. So perhaps the slightly sluggish movement was a conscious choice by the developers in that regard.

That sounds ridiculous.