CPS3 - SUICIDE FREE! Easiest thing ever.

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Am I understanding that reprogramming a surface-mount chip is in fact necessary to turn other carts into 2I, but original 2I carts can be resurrected without any soldering work? .

At this point that is correct. Possibly something new may come about but right now that's it.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
But unless you are also using an original jojo cd then you are running a conversion. Right?

Original cd prices might go up also if people don't want to play any kind of conversion since the game data is on the cd. Or is a copied cd different? Just curious where the line is.

I have original 3S Jp, Jojo BA JP and 3S US cds. IDK where the line will be, it's really upto the community / buyers.

Wow, this turned into a shitfest real fast...

Am I understanding that reprogramming a surface-mount chip is in fact necessary to turn other carts into 2I, but original 2I carts can be resurrected without any soldering work? Somehow I got the impression that no soldering was necessary, now am wondering if my reading comprehension is a bit shit.

2i as far as resurrecting is just removing the dead battery. We don't know the state of the other games as far as their carts go. Other games might require recoding.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Plum your just arguing semantics with your boot versus conversion.

All those cps 2 boots of yours should not be introduced into the community. If you want to build them for your personal use that is fine but when you sell them they get past around from hand to hand on false pretense. You know how many people here can produce and turn out boots but don't because we know its wrong. I also observed you tend to sale your boots for top dollar as if they were originals.

Even the creators behind this new cps3 fix do not seem to be after money. Do you have any restraint or integrity. You gain a little knowledge and you quickly turn around and cash in on it. I doubt you would have supposedly stopped with your latest cps3 scheme if you weren't called out.

Last edited:

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I also observed you tend to sale your boots for top dollar as if they were originals.

I sell them way cheaper than originals... I am not sure where you get that? A Blue Progear for $150 including shipping is very cheap and way under market value of an original. The only exception would be Taito F3 conversions which take about 5-6 hours of work to make. Which I don't make anymore because of the time involved.

There are way more people than me making conversions and reselling them on ebay. They are members of the community here but they hide behind ebay usernames. The bottom line is I always say that they are conversions when they are. I am always upfront with my sales. I am always very fair with my prices...

And I thought I was offering a service... because of the surface mount soldering and programming involved with the cps3 carts revival. You charged me for the same service mainman when I needed a black cps2 board reprogrammed. You charged me for surface mount soldering plus reprogramming plus your time. It is very similiar.

Last edited:

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
I sell them way cheaper than originals... I am not sure where you get that? A Blue Progear for $150 including shipping is very cheap and way under market value of an original. The only exception would be Taito F3 conversions which take about 5-6 hours of work to make. Which I don't make anymore because of the time involved.

There are way more people than me making conversions and reselling them on ebay. They are members of the community here but they hide behind ebay usernames. The bottom line is I always say that they are conversions when they are. I am always upfront with my sales. I am always very fair with my prices...

And I thought I was offering a service... because of the surface mount soldering and programming involved with the cps3 carts revival. You charged me for the same service mainman when I needed a black cps2 board reprogrammed. You charged me for surface mount soldering plus reprogramming plus your time. It is very similiar.

I lost track of who black board I rebooted. If I did in fact reboot your black board it was a original with mask roms and all and not a boot. I provided a repair service, your really stretching the differences. I was not selling you a board I was repairing YOUR board that you solicited my services for. If you sent me a MVC I rebooted it as a MVC, if you sent me a anniversary I rebooted it as a anniversary. I did no conversions.

I did not pick up a black MVC board and convert it into a anniversary which I am capable of. I did not take a pang and reflash the simms into a progear which I am also capable of.

You can not use the defense that other people who you have not identified are doing it for justification for you doing it, that does not make it right. When we have neo get together around my area every time we talk cps2 your name comes up in negative light. I know someone who got passed down one of your boards.

What about your rockman 2, dimahoo and gigawing conversions you were selling those for the same rate as originals. You might argue that between parts and time that is the worth of the board so logically it would not make sense to even create them and this is what makes booting these boards unpractical. But seriously your doing this for profit and have discovered how you can make building these boots economical at a profit.

You charged $100 for a 2nd impact reflashed cart. So what is that $50 or more profit for 30 minutes or a hour of work. The work involved in you reflashing the cps3 cart allows you to recycle the flash chip. The work involved in me rebooting your cps2 black board required me replacing two flash roms which was the bulk of the cost and I did not charge you $100. Saw your super turbo boot, what you sacked a sports club and got your hands on the rom dump of a original ST that uses that configuration not much sweat involved. Sports clubs are not all that cheap which is the ONLY reason I figure you have not been pimpin out ST boots.

Look Plum I am just saying you are creating a actual problem and you being really brazen about it

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I think mainman may be referring to your to your last Three sales threads.

BLAST CITY PARTS (Linking cable!) AND MORE! (CPS2, Taito F3, CPS1) ...

GREEN CPS2 MEGAMAN 2/ROCKMAN 2 (Phoenix & Conversion) $150
BLUE CPS2 Progear (Phoenixed & Conversion) $150
GREEN CPS2 DIMAHOO (Phoenixed & Conversion) $150
GREEN CPS2 GIGAWING (Phoenixed & Conversion) $150
Taito F3 Darius Gaiden (Conversion) $250
Taito F3 Darius Gaiden Extra/Special Version! (Conversion) $300
Ghouls and Ghosts CPS1 (conversion & suicide free) $200...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...)&highlight=rocket+man+2+phoenixed+conversion

GnG PCB! & CPS2 boards for sale + more...

BLUE CPS2 Hyper SF2 Anniversary Edition (Phoenixed & Conversion) $185 shipped
BLUE CPS2 Progear (Phoenixed & Conversion) $160 shipped
BLUE CPS2 DIMAHOO (Phoenixed and Conversion) $160 shipped
BLUE CPS2 GIGAWING (Phoenixed and Conversion) $160 shipped...

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...!&highlight=rocket+man+2+phoenixed+conversion

CPS2 and MORE for SALE (UPDATED AGAIN)...

BLUE CPS2 HSF2AE (Phoenixed & Conversion) $185 shipped
BLUE CPS2 Progear (Phoenixed & Conversion) $150 shipped
BLUE CPS2 DIMAHOO (Phoenixed and Conversion) $150 shipped ...

... BLUE 1944(Phoenix & Conversion) $135 ....

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...hlight=CPS2+and+MORE+for+SALE+(UPDATED+AGAIN)

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
CPS1 GHOULS N' GHOSTS PCB (Conversion) (only $200 shipped!)

I'm gonna use G&G as an example as I have a personal boot of it I did and won't sell. If I did I would toss the original game's Eproms, Mask Roms and GAL back in.

$30-$45: For sack board
$40: Eproms & GAL needed

$85 total. No desolder / solder work. Just writing the Eproms and GAL.

$200 - shipping cost: Basically $100 in profit.

idc

Banned
Well originally I got this PM over at AO. He is referring to ssf2xjr (yellow rental) in MAME, dumped by me.

samsho said:
I am trying to fix a CPS2 phoneixed Super Turbo CPS2 board but the board is different than normal. I saw you posted you had one just like it. It has many eproms on a secondary board. I saw that you had mentioned that dumped the files. Is there anyway I can get a zip file of your dumped files from that?

I sent him the ROM dumps, since I like to try and help people fix their broken shit. Soon after, I get this:

samsho said:
Just wanted to let you know I stumbled upon something with that dump you sent me....
It is pretty easy (although take a bunch of time) to make a SSF2X conversion with it. I just took that dump plugged it into a capcom Sports club board since it is a dual layer board. And then took the MAME SSF2X Phoenix files for the rest. Works great.
I am not going to post how to do it or post your dump or anything.
I just wanted to let you know since I got it from you.
Here is are couple pics of the board I ended up making:

Thanks again,
Mat

finishedinside.jpg

finishedplaying.jpg

scaled.php

Did he really need to "fix" a legit 2X board? Or did he just want the dump of my board to make a bootleg?

I'm not overly bothered, since I made the dumps public anyway, but I hope he was not trying to mislead me into giving him the ROMs just for a conversion, rather than a repair as he originally stated...

Last edited:

idc

Banned
The short of it: (from ICD on AO)
YES! After Leo double checked, it's confirmed that legit 2I carts cannot suicide. If they do, just remove the battery and it will begin working again.
Yeah, and I think you're referring to me there... ;)

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Well originally I got this PM over at AO. He is referring to ssf2xjr (yellow rental) in MAME, dumped by me.

I sent him the ROM dumps, since I like to try and help people fix their broken shit. Soon after, I get this:

Did he really need to "fix" a legit 2X board? Or did he just want the dump of my board to make a bootleg?

I'm not overly bothered, since I made the dumps public anyway, but I hope he was not trying to mislead me into giving him the ROMs just for a conversion, rather than a repair as he originally stated...

LOL, I called the whole scenario perfectly. Now I am glad I did not share my pal G when he asked for a few.

Nope your rom were used to make a super turbo boot man. I hope I was not mislead either because when I reboot the black board all I ask is for the person to send me the simm and I take his word that he actually owns the original board. Some people send me the whole board but most just send me the stick, I can not remember what category plum fell into. I can however say all the anniversary reboot I did I got the whole board.

Last edited:

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
Can we get this thread back on track? It was inevitable that people were going to try and make a quick buck, but let's not overshadow the amazing fact that you cannot kill a 2nd impact cart. While we do not understand everything yet in terms of encryption for other games, I feel confident that with the talent in the community we will soon have a solution. I for one am thankful to these community members who are ensuring that our investments into original CPS3 hardware will be rewarded and allow for more people to enjoy the library of solid fighting games. Because at the end of the day, we are all here primarily to be able to play games the way they are meant to be played; on the original hardware.

Big shout out to idc, leo, darksoft, and countless others who have taken up the flag to keep our cps3 hardware healthy.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Yeah, and I think you're referring to me there... ;)
Oh, hell, I'm sorry I got it wrong! I know it's IDC because I had you confused with ICDHAPPY!

Again, great work! Without people like you, we'd all end up with dead hardware.

Can we get this thread back on track? ....

Big shout out to idc, leo, darksoft, and countless others who have taken up the flag to keep our cps3 hardware healthy.

Yeah, isn't it fantastic! While i know a lot of people are just itching for this to carry over to everything else on CPS3, I'm thrilled to see 2I as the first game to be suicide-free; it was the first CPS3 game I ever owned (and thought it would be the only one for quite a while) and it has a special place in my heart.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
So, if I understand this correctly, is it then impossible for 2i carts to die? I mean, when the battery dies (and doesn't leak)... wouldn't the cart just keep living on? Because you don't need the battery, what's the dead battery make any difference? I find it odd. Was this an error at Capcom, perhaps?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
So, if I understand this correctly, is it then impossible for 2i carts to die? I mean, when the battery dies (and doesn't leak)... wouldn't the cart just keep living on? Because you don't need the battery, what's the dead battery make any difference? I find it odd. Was this an error at Capcom, perhaps?

If the battery dies and you keep it installed, the cart won't work (from my limited understanding.)

However, if you remove the battery and reload the game, it will work fine. Once you've done that, the cartridge will work forever (unless you put a battery back on, in which case it'll act dead until you remove the battery.)

It sounds like you're correct that it was a programming oversight on Capcom's part.

idc

Banned
I figured out how to make a SSF2x conversion but it takes about 5 hours of work since there are SO many EPROMS.
He didn't figure anything out. He just wrote the ROM set he tricked me into giving him to the EPROMs and stuck them back in the appropriately numbered sockets.

I, however, know how to make a 2X conversion with a standard A-board. No EPROM or mask ROM sub board is required. Anyone want the ROM set? I might as well give it to everyone now before Professor Plum spreads it...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
These are bootlegs through and through and not conversions in any way.

Conversions are only when all the roms are original pieces provided by the manufacturer but switched to a different board for compatibility with different hardware. Like pulling the roms from an original MVS board and inserting them into an appropriate AES board.

Prof. Plum - Since you in no way used 100% original rom chips and were in no way granted permission by Capcom (or anyone else) to duplicate the chips, you in fact produced a bootleg product.

I am disappointed in you and that you would try to call this a conversion. This community dislikes people who produce and then sell bootleg items...especially at a profit.

Congratulations, you are on peoples shit list now and will most likely have the hammer brought down on your account here (I personally will make sure of that) and eBay sells flagged each time they are seen.

Way to be a dickhead.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
So, if I understand this correctly, is it then impossible for 2i carts to die?

Exactly, I ran over it with my car, and after removing the battery it rebuilt itself buzzing "..there can be... only one..." (sorry, it was too fun ;) ).

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
First I would like to say I have enjoyed being part of the forums and community. And I never meant to break any rules. I had seen people selling these exact types of boards on the forums before I even knew what they were. They were even called conversions.
I don't need to make conversions at all. It isnt a business... It was a fun little side project. I didn't make much. The GnG conversion for example sack boards are at least 75 plus shipping. And i didn't sell very many...maybe two. But that is besides the point, I knew some people didn't like them but I had no idea there was this much anger towards them and people who made them. Just like the cps3 cart conversions I thought I was offering a service. Only difference is I bought the sack cart for the person ahead of time and was only saving money shipping me the sack cart. If that makes sense. This is all besides the point...

I didn't mean to upset anyone this way or break any rules. I won't be making and selling conversions anymore. I am sorry for the drama this has caused. I feel terrible about the whole situation.
I never spread around or gave out anyone's dumps and people are assuming the worst from every comment and it just isn't true.

I would like to remain a member of the forums. I didn't know I was breaking any rules. I sincerely apologize for doing anything that did.

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
Can we get this thread back on track?

The thread is: CPS3 - SUICIDE FREE! Easiest thing ever.
Not: Gang bang, PP.

I know he kind of brought it upon himself by commenting in this thread about costs, etc. But that should have been carried out in the War room. Summary, PP is sorry. We get it. Selling bootlegs should not be done on the forums (at least in terms of making a profit). Bootlegs for personal use are fine (we all cannot afford the real deal). It is also probably fine to contact someone in regards to "converting" i.e. bootlegging a board for you. But having a pile of bootlegs ready for sale, based on market demands is not okay. The person who wants the game should supply the board.

Nuff said.

Segue, CPS3 has almost been fully raised, praise Jeebus.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I've been watching this thread develop and I've let it slide.

In the future, keep any less than ethical activity off the forums. I understand the situation and all, but this thread is walking a very fine line with several forum rules and activity which is discouraged or outright banned.

I have no desire to wield the mod powah on the people in this thread, so color inside the lines from now on.

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
He didn't figure anything out. He just wrote the ROM set he tricked me into giving him to the EPROMs and stuck them back in the appropriately numbered sockets.

I, however, know how to make a 2X conversion with a standard A-board. No EPROM or mask ROM sub board is required. Anyone want the ROM set? I might as well give it to everyone now before Professor Plum spreads it...

@idc

Many props for all of the work that you and leo have been doing on CPS2 and 3. The ability of bootlegs has been there for cps2 since the phoenix files were done, but I really like the clean decrypted versions better than phoenix. I resurrected my Vampire Savior with leo's version and it's awesome. I'm tempted to decrypt the rest of my battery boards when the other clean decrypted versions are released.

With the amount of CPS2 boots out there, I think we've long passed the point where inside board pics need to be shown when selling cps2 stuff. There are just too many boots out there. It's a little surprising that other bootlegs besides Progear and HSF2 are floating about since original boards are not very much more expensive. Fortunately Capcom used mask roms for 99% of the legit boards and the eprom-based boards all have Capcom printed eprom labels (aside from one that I know of) so that knowledgable buyers can avoid being ripped off. It's a shame that Capcom USA got lazy towards the end and started using hand-written eprom labels, since blank Capcom eprom labels have surfaced on ebay.

CPS3 resurrection is definitely a good thing, despite the fact that it is ineivetable that some will to try to bootleg for profit. I've contemplated selling my CPS3 setup many times due to the fear of my carts dying. Now we only have to worry about the cd-drive dying.

Last edited:

BIGTIME

Galford's Armourer
For real Idc your the man thank you so much for your contributions and willingness to share your knowledge with the community. It really makes me feel good knowing there's people out there doing this kind of work pro bono to help us all out. I'm going to shoot you a pm regarding a few things and look forward to personally talking to you.

Last edited: