Chip Source

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Trying to resurrect a Prehistoric Isle 2. Does anybody know a source for the this chip on the CHA board or if a 90G06CF7050 will work?

index.php

DavidG

I'm wondering if it's a bad batch of cmc's for the pi2's as I have had 2 go the same way as yours. The first one that died I sent back and it was returned with a note that I supplied the wrong voltage to the cart (which isn't true).

The two I have once a new cmc is dropped the games have worked fine since.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
...a note that I supplied the wrong voltage to the cart (which isn't true).

This PI2 kinda reminds me of a dead PI2 cart. that aaron6918 (KLOV) just pulled out of an MVS cab. and traded.

And connection?

Last edited:

DavidG

Not sure, when the first one went I was playing the game and thought the system was toast. It was a mv-1b in both cases. Later on I checked the roms and found them to be fine. It had nothing to do with the system just a bad chip. I swapped the cmc years ago and the cart has worked fine in the same 1b since.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I know why...

Recently I saw a PI2 listing for a very nice PI2 cart. Trader stated that it was dead and wanted to trade it. Trader was also 99% sure that it could be repaired. I was wondering what was wrong with it. So, asked the seller couple of basic questions.

Q: How do you know it's dead?
A: I tested it in my four slot MVS.

Q: What did you see on the screen?
A: It was all white then I heard a pop. I think there must have been a power surge at some point thats why I dont think it would work.

That was it. I figured that there was probably something wrong with the power or with a cart board. I made 'em an offer: Took second place.

-----

Hey, some of the picts. posted on this site are really nice.

Was wondering what kinda camera and lenses equipment you all use to get these kinda picts?

Last edited:

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Indeed, this is Aaron's old cart. I did some preliminary digging and figured the best game to sacrifice to resurrect the Prehistoric Isle 2 would be a KOF 99 as they are plentiful and cheap. However, the chip on the KOF 99 board I have for reference has a different chip number. I do not know if this is in reference to speed, date, revision or something else. It's a 90G06CF7050.

I too asked what was up with the cart and he responded that it must have been a power supply issue as after he replaced it, it worked fine. I would have thought that a power supply would more than likely damaged the main board rather than a cart, but it doesn't matter. If it was a power surge, there may be more damage than can be detected by visual inspection.

For the picture, I just used my Sony SteadyShot. Nothing fancy, just have to use a light and turn off the flash as it would blow out anything that close if used.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
.... I did some preliminary digging and figured the best game to sacrifice to resurrect the Prehistoric Isle 2 would be a KOF 99 as they are plentiful and cheap. However, the chip on the KOF 99 board I have for reference has a different chip number. I do not know if this is in reference to speed, date, revision or something else. It's a 90G06CF7050.

Hmmm...my KOF '99 has CHAF10, 1999.6.14

SNK
NEO-CMC
90G06CF7042
JAPAN 9932EAI
D0428AAH

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I too asked what was up with the cart and he responded that it must have been a power supply issue as after he replaced it, it worked fine. I would have thought that a power supply would more than likely damaged the main board rather than a cart, but it doesn't matter. If it was a power surge, there may be more damage than can be detected by visual inspection.

mmm....When told me he saw a white screen on the monitor and heard a popping sound, I was thinking of a problem with the the power platform, like the isolation transformer or a blown fuse, but not necessarily a problem with the switching power supply. I mentioned that to him. He didn't seem interested in re-testing the cart. I thought the cart. would still be ok--dirty contacts at worst.

For the picture, I just used my Sony SteadyShot. Nothing fancy, just have to use a light and turn off the flash as it would blow out anything that close if used.

Neat. I have to check that out.

Last edited:

DavidG

Any cmc will work in it's place. I used a ganryu to fix mine back when they were $10 each.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you can use KOF99 then it would be the best option since you can get them for $10-15 most times. Of course I'd just swap the roms and not the IC.

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Of course I'd just swap the roms and not the IC.

I was thinking the same thing. When I get a replacement CHA board I'll look them over. I don't know if there are any jumpers or anything different between the two. Thanks all for your help.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I have a second KOF '99.

It also has NEO-MVS CHAF10 1999.6.14

SNK
NEO-CMC
90G06CF7042
JAPAN 9932EAI
D0427AAJ

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I have a spare Kof99 board with that chip -- I can mail it to you. The board is free, just cover shipping...

Jeff

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks everyone for all the help. Hopefully we'll bring this one back from the dead.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
obviously, if you have a infrared welding equipment, go ahead with the CMC.

I have a hot air reworking station and still is faster to change the CMC than desoldering 336 pins one-by-one.

Hey, by the way, what equipment do you have?

Witchboard

Crossed Swords Squire
I have a desoldering iron and solder station. I do have access to a hot air rework station, but I am not yet confident in my hot air skills to remove a chip with that large a pin count without damaging it. I'll have to do it the long way. Not only that, but if it was an over-voltage issue that caused the problem, it's possible that more components than just the CMC may have been damaged.